You can type here any text you want

air intake temp sensor location

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

workingdan

I am making my own cold air intake setup. I was wondering if it matters if the sensor is before or after the MAF sensor? If I put it before I need to get an extension for my air temp sensor. Thanks for any help.

Don't know if it matters but I believe the sensor was before the MAF from factory.

I am making my own cold air intake setup. I was wondering if it matters if the sensor is before or after the MAF sensor? If I put it before I need to get an extension for my air temp sensor. Thanks for any help.

Does anyone know if it will make a difference?

Yes it will make a difference. In front of the maf there's the safety factor of the maf screens catching any plastic parts that might break off the temp sensor and keep them from going through the turbo.

After the maf, there's nothing to catch the parts before being ingested by the turbo. If you look at the sensor you'll see a little plastic cage over the sensor device.

Those that run mafless put it up near or after the throttle body (because speed density needs to know the temp of the air going into the motor). But the engine can eat up and spit out those parts. The turbo can't.

I just have mine zip tied next to the air filter. Running an ls1 maf and translator

Yes it will make a difference. In front of the maf there's the safety factor of the maf screens catching any plastic parts that might break off the temp sensor and keep them from going through the turbo.

After the maf, there's nothing to catch the parts before being ingested by the turbo. If you look at the sensor you'll see a little plastic cage over the sensor device.

Those that run mafless put it up near or after the throttle body (because speed density needs to know the temp of the air going into the motor). But the engine can eat up and spit out those parts. The turbo can't.

so the computer doesnt care were its at, its just a safty thing?

Wouldn't you want the truest reading of the air temp. entering the engine? It makes sense (in my head) that you want it nearest the source of ignition and after anything that would add heat to the intake air.

Maybe I am way off here.

The original MAF works as a function of air temperature.
I THINK it heats an element and the energy required to maintain that element is the "guage" of airflow - or something of that nature. The air temp sensor is used to "correct" the MAF reading in cold or hot conditions. (hotter ambient required less energy to correct for same airflow as cooler air) If you have the stock MAF with stock style ECM, then you want the air temp sensor to read the same "air" that the MAF is using...within reason. I would keep it south of the MAF for reasons already systed. I have mine zip tied to the air filter.

Back