You can type here any text you want

Alarm System

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Polecat

Just bought an 87 GN and thinking about getting an alarm system. Any body have some good suggestions? I was thinking of getting one with a proximity feature, anybody have any experience with this feature?

Ive been doing research like a mad man on this... not sure what your budget is but one system that looked like it covered the bases is connect2car.com.
It has quite a few tricks and is an all in one system. Its probably the one I will get (waiting to see if I get the hookup on a system from a friend)

I think the most important is the GPS location service. RMtracking sells a seperate system that will tie into the alamr.

Whats your budget?

Wow, That looks like more high tech than I was thinking about. I don't always keep a cell phone with me either. I'm mostly interested in keeping overly curious onlookers away from the car. Maybe just a couple of chirps or something to let them know the car is alarmed so they don't smash a window or anything. I can't see me parking it in many high risk places but just want to keep some people away from the car.

Any other suggestions? :confused:

Go with Viper/DEI or Compustar. A proximity sensor will give warning beeps when people get too close and will go full alarm if they reach their hand into the car (can be adjusted so the areas are bigger and smaller).

I second the Compustar. Stick with a Reputable Alarm company. They usually have great Tech support, and usually carry some kind of limited lifetime warranty. Prox. sensors are nice, but can be annoying if you dont garage your car. They are commonly used in convertibles.

DEI is the worlds largest security company because they buy everyone out. Especially the companies that are struggling. Doesnt mean they are the best. Actually some of the companies that they have bought in the past were not very good at all. There is no best, and Compustar is more than "Okay".

DEI is the worlds largest security company because they buy everyone out. Especially the companies that are struggling. Doesnt mean they are the best. Actually some of the companies that they have bought in the past were not very good at all. There is no best, and Compustar is more than "Okay".

You are ture but I have been working with directed alarm systems for over 17 years and I do all the warranty returns for them and I hardly see any bad units to send back. I am not saying they are the "BEST" but from experience they seem to be the most dependable alarm systems out there.

I worked with audiovox/prestige, ungo, older clifford systems, compustar, alpine and autopage. My friend is a compustar rep here and I do see alot of bad defective brains.

I was actually the Compustar Rep for a number of years, and currently a Compustar dealer. I sold Audiovox, Python, Clifford, Code, Autopage, etc. in the past. I chose to sell Compustar for a number of reasons. Actually my old co-worker now works for DEI. You really cant go wrong with either Alarm company........

I am/was an installer and I've been seeing a bunch of DEI alarms with things not working in them. Granted most of them were installed early in the decade so it's not too surprising or upsetting. I say go with DEI for the most part but go with Compustar if you want a remote starter on a manual transmission car.

I am/was an installer and I've been seeing a bunch of DEI alarms with things not working in them. Granted most of them were installed early in the decade so it's not too surprising or upsetting. I say go with DEI for the most part but go with Compustar if you want a remote starter on a manual transmission car.

The newer dei systems (5701) le responder systems will allow to do rs on manual transmission cars.

The newer dei systems (5701) le responder systems will allow to do rs on manual transmission cars.

What about the Python 872p?

I want to get one of those for my bike but it doesn't need to have the special stuff the Compustar/5701 have.

Viper 5701
Python 872
Clifford RSX 3.3x

I think these 3 are the exact same system but different remotes.

Back