Alcohol Injection kit on Chevy SSR Truck

Double-L

Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2005
Was just wonding how this would work for a 04 5.3 super charged SSR, The weight is a killer on this truck, I have Magna Charger, Very little intercooler on it as you know, Have supermaxx headers, Hi-Flow cats and FlowMaster 3 inch catback, I was driving it the other day and in 12 degree cold you can tell the truck is putting out a lot more hp, Down side it has 20 inch tires and nobody makes drag radials in the size, On pump gas it runs 13.20's spinning the tires all way through first and some in 2nd., What I was thinking is someway to turn it on after you are in 2nd. or would it be worth it
Thanks
 
Double-L said:
Was just wonding how this would work for a 04 5.3 super charged SSR, The weight is a killer on this truck, I have Magna Charger, Very little intercooler on it as you know, Have supermaxx headers, Hi-Flow cats and FlowMaster 3 inch catback, I was driving it the other day and in 12 degree cold you can tell the truck is putting out a lot more hp, Down side it has 20 inch tires and nobody makes drag radials in the size, On pump gas it runs 13.20's spinning the tires all way through first and some in 2nd., What I was thinking is someway to turn it on after you are in 2nd. or would it be worth it
Thanks

I won't be leaving home any time soon without my Alkycontrol, being on. :)

I have a Cotton's F/M, and just adding a *touch* of 50/50 W/W denatured alky, makes a noticible difference.

The temps have been about the same around here the last few days. Gotta love a MAT temp of 28dF........
 
id try talking to julio (razor) he controls this room, he sells a good alky kit, you can check it out at alkycontrol.com :biggrin:
 
If the truck is not picking up knock counts on the computer.. then no need for an injection system.

Now if you change the pulley, reflash the computer, make more power... then the need starts to happen.

I've only done 1 SSR kit. And it was a total custom job with SS tank in the bed in between two nitrous bottles..and such. ECS did this install.

HTH
 
Razor said:
If the truck is not picking up knock counts on the computer.. then no need for an injection system.

Now if you change the pulley, reflash the computer, make more power... then the need starts to happen.

I've only done 1 SSR kit. And it was a total custom job with SS tank in the bed in between two nitrous bottles..and such. ECS did this install.

HTH

Well I don't know about the knock counts, The computer has been reflashed and I am running higher boost, 9-11 psi, Stock was 5 psi. The truck pulls real good through 1 st. and 2nd. but feels like it dies in 3rd., I shift the truck at 6300 and even with racing fuel it sounds like it starts spark knocking right before the shift, Is this any help to anyone
 
You need to monitor knock activity period.

Racing a forced induction vehicle blind will only lead to broken parts much sooner than latter.

Adding timing and boost will only make this happen even sooner.

Suggestion.. get a scanner that will work on your truck and log runs. If your picking up detonation.. do something about it. If its laying down.. I bet its knocking pretty good.

DTA.. dont trust anyone.. when it comes to tunes.. you need to have monitoring to assure your tuner did his job correctly.

Laying down is a sign of bad things to come.. careful.
 
Razor I meant to ask if you had a chance to see the diff. in the SSR you did and was going to tell you I run the truck through a 1/4 with a scaner hooked to it and the guy watching it said everything looked ok other than the shift point was to high, I am adding 1.85 rockers and trying to find some wheels, 15 to 18's, Light that I can put a set of drag radials just for the strip, I have 20,s 29 inches tall as stock, I can come up to 29 with the tire and would even like a little smaller than stock for the strip and would like a nice alky injection system, The way the cold air up's the hp I would think the injection would have to help a lot
 
Another issue is that shooting the methanol pre blower as is typically done doesnt run as much temp. Yes it does help, but the reduction is only for inlet temp. If inlet temp comes down, the outlet comes down. But not as much as if shot after the blower.

Example, its 100 degree's inlet. You run 10 PSi boost. Thats typically 220 degree's outlet temp out of the blower. Now you shoot alky pre blower.. your outlet temps only come down like 20-25 degree's. And also keep in mind that boost will also increase when the alky is shot through the blower. Typically power that is picked up is approx 20-25 HP. But the added octane helps quell any detonation that may surface.

In other words.. it cant hurt, but a retune will be needed more than likely. As insurance, its not a bad idea.
 
I am looking for a good program to use with my laptop to tune, Thinking of the HP VCM Suite Pro, Litttle high at $400 but everyone I have talked to says if you want the best that is it, I have seen a system from snow performance that says I can get 70 to 100 hp with the set up I am running, Don't know if you have heard of them, I can't see that much hp, All most as much as the super charger, 20 to 25 hp isn't bad, Not great but not bad, But I just get the feeling if it was your truck you wouldn't do it
 
Double-L said:
I am looking for a good program to use with my laptop to tune, Thinking of the HP VCM Suite Pro, Litttle high at $400 but everyone I have talked to says if you want the best that is it, I have seen a system from snow performance that says I can get 70 to 100 hp with the set up I am running, Don't know if you have heard of them, I can't see that much hp, All most as much as the super charger, 20 to 25 hp isn't bad, Not great but not bad, But I just get the feeling if it was your truck you wouldn't do it

70 to 100 hp.. not on an application like yours. Unless it was detonating severely. If you shot their recommended WW fluid deal.. you'd lose an easy 20-30.

I datalog all my runs. Based on the numbers I make decisions. If I increase timing and the motor picks up.. then I keep increasing timing. If I lean it out a little and the motor picks up.. then so be it. If I end up picking up some knock activity..then I address it. I like to tinker with my tuneup. If you will be playing with your tune... and log some knock.. then make the decision to get an injection system.

If it were my truck.. it would be pullied down severely and sprayed like a bug :biggrin: ..
 
Hey double-L. what fueling or ecm mods did you have to do with installing that blower on the stock motor. Trying to run a vortech v2 unit on a 04 5.3 truck. does it just need a ecm reflash? or are you doing injectors and some sort of pump booster.
 
Way2QWK said:
Hey double-L. what fueling or ecm mods did you have to do with installing that blower on the stock motor. Trying to run a vortech v2 unit on a 04 5.3 truck. does it just need a ecm reflash? or are you doing injectors and some sort of pump booster.

When I had it put on it was 100% stock, All was done was another inline fuel pump and reflash, I did have a chance to run it through a 1/4 with just the blower and everything stock, It run a best of 13.6's, Not bad for a 4800 pounder with a 5.3
 
Top