You can type here any text you want

Aldldroid Knock Retard over 30 at idle

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Haydenm23

Sitting in park with the enging idling, I am showing a knock Retard number of around 32. When I press on the gas, it goes up to 50. The car seems to drive fine however with no hesitation , just concerned over the high readings. Any thoughts will be appreciated. BTW my car is an 87 Limited Turbo T.

Are you looking at knock counts, or knock retard?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I am using the Bluetooth scanner from Red Devil River...here are some screen shots.
Screenshot_2015-06-11-18-22-35.png

Looks like the definition file for the turbo Buick is incorrect. A few readings there that are not possible.

Your scanner from Redriver is defective. It is picking up noise in the data stream from the ECM. Try contacting Redriver. You should have got the adapter from 1320electronics.com. They did a firmware update to ensure their adapter works perfectly.
Good luck with Redriver.

Your scanner from Redriver is defective. It is picking up noise in the data stream from the ECM. Try contacting Redriver. You should have got the adapter from 1320electronics.com. They did a firmware update to ensure their adapter works perfectly.
Good luck with Redriver.
Redriver has agreed to let me return the unit after describing the issues. Will try 1320 next since it seems like there is some manufacturer support in place.

I have the 1320 electronics box and their App.

What does the "Knock Retard degrees" mean?

Is that the total timing? Is that the Total Timing - Knock?

Should it read zero while the car is running?

Knock retard should read 0. When yoy see a value above zero that is the number of degrees the ECM is retarding the timing by. When the ECM gets a signal from the knock sensor it pulls timing out to decrease detonation. If you are seeing values above 5 for any length if time you need to get off the throttle. A couple of degrees of retard that last a couple seconds and goes back to zero are ok but the goal is to tune for 0 knock retard at all times.

Knock retard should read 0. When yoy see a value above zero that is the number of degrees the ECM is retarding the timing by. When the ECM gets a signal from the knock sensor it pulls timing out to decrease detonation. If you are seeing values above 5 for any length if time you need to get off the throttle. A couple of degrees of retard that last a couple seconds and goes back to zero are ok but the goal is to tune for 0 knock retard at all times.

Thanks. It appears my Knock sensor may be malfunctioning. Just driving around at 15in of vacuum It is reading 15 degrees knock retard. The only time it has read zero is when the car is off.

Thanks for that description. I'll be buying that 1320 Electronics box and app as soon as the budget permits, and have been researching how to understand the various data items that get measured.

UNGN are the other parameters on the app reading correctly??? Knock sensors "usually" don't go bad. No you should not have knock under vacuum conditions but some thing in the engine is triggering the knock sensor. Could be loose bolts on the torque converter or something loose hitter the block or even internal issues in the engine. Don't assume it is a bad knock sensor.

Question....I have the new unit from 1320 and I am getting 19 volt readings on the aldl app....my voltmeter reads 13.2 or so....any thoughts?

Question....I have the new unit from 1320 and I am getting 19 volt readings on the aldl app....my voltmeter reads 13.2 or so....any thoughts?

Mine reads 18 volts. I think there are issues with the voltage reading.

Are you using the free app or the ALDLdroid app that cost $19 from the Google Play store? The volt reading shoild not be 19 volts. What year car.

I'm using the Free app with the file for a '89 LC2 and my voltage reading is 18 volts.

Back