You can type here any text you want

Alky newbie- stumbling/hesitation??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbo39151

anycoloraslongasitsblack
I just installed alky on my ride and so did a friend of mine. We have basically the same set up. Stock dp/ turbo/stock internals. LS1 maf/ trans/ram air

I have 50 lbs he has 36 lbs. I think he has a Brutal 6 Chip and I have TT chip.
Both are SMC old style alky kits.

He ride pulls like a beast!

Mine starts off ok and then stumbles and hesitates. Will even chirp second and then the power dies off as if it was not being allowed to shift into second.

Honestly I don't feel my friends car shift at all, it just pulls and pulls hard.

My tranny is freshly rebuilt along with a new TC. These guys here think it's got something to do with the tranny. I'm not so sure.

Atleast when I'm running alky I get NO knock from 10 -20 lbs of boost! :biggrin:

Can anyone tell me why the car is hesitating like it is?

With a stock turbo, it's very easy to "over-alky" it. It sounds like it's too rich. See if you can back off the alcohol and see what happens. Use as little as possible and still get 0 knock. You can also try to reduce WOT fuel by adjusting the chip, or reducing fuel pressure 3-4psi.

Regards,
Eric

Hello Eric: I have one of your TT chips. (It was cut for 50lb MSD, not alky- don't know if that's an issue. ) Had to bypass the WG solenoid becuase it was bad but then when I tried to tune the Alky I was told I could use more boost, so I reconnected it and I hit 20 lbs or so with no knock.

I'll reduce the fuel pressure and see what happens. I had actually increased it a few pounds because I figured that with all of the other mods it might want a little more...

I have a TPS-TEC that might be causing the WOT issue...

Any ideas on that?

turbo39151 said:
Can anyone tell me why the car is hesitating like it is?

According to Razor, the translator can sometimes cause an interference issue that could cause some hesitation... or surging. I was having some of that....with my LS1 MAF and translator.....I still am having it some after going back to the stock MAF meter and a TT chip..... but it is slightly better. Not sure what other issues I am having causing my hesitation.... but I will be following this thread... to see what others say....

If I'm not mistaken, the street chips have alot more fuel and less timing than the TT alky chips..You'll probably have to back off the fuel some, Eric is probably right, you are going to run rich!

turbo39151 said:
Hello Eric: I have one of your TT chips. (It was cut for 50lb MSD, not alky- don't know if that's an issue. ) Had to bypass the WG solenoid becuase it was bad but then when I tried to tune the Alky I was told I could use more boost, so I reconnected it and I hit 20 lbs or so with no knock.

I'll reduce the fuel pressure and see what happens. I had actually increased it a few pounds because I figured that with all of the other mods it might want a little more...

I have a TPS-TEC that might be causing the WOT issue...

Any ideas on that?

I took it down to 40 lbs w/ Vacuum off. Still hesitates. (ran out of alky and lube! :mad: )

Alky is a couple minutes drive away. I think I have to order the lube as I've never seen it on any shelf.

If anyone knows where I can find some in SoCal lmk.
Otherwise, I'll post as I go.

Thanks for the info

turbo39151 said:
I took it down to 40 lbs w/ Vacuum off. Still hesitates. (ran out of alky and lube! :mad: )

Alky is a couple minutes drive away. I think I have to order the lube as I've never seen it on any shelf.

If anyone knows where I can find some in SoCal lmk.
Otherwise, I'll post as I go.

Thanks for the info

Try backing fuel off with the chip

Sorry..been out of town the last few days.

I find that cars that have fueling problems will exhibit this type of condition. Typically related to vacuum leaks creating higher than normal BL's.. meaning the computer drops in additional fuel..then when it goes WOT.. the problem surfaces.

You need to have all your numbers on the scantool within normal limits. THEN you need the car to run low boost like 14-16 PSI cleanly with zero issues and an O2 number thats coming down into the lower 800's/upper 700's. once you meet these two conditions..then start adding alky to the equation.

Bottom line.. its a tuning issue. One of those puzzles you need to start looking as to why/when things are happening.

Items that can create these issues.. anything not OEM on the car, bad O2, bad MAF, bad fuel pressure reg, etc etc etc. Get rid of anything not OEM as far as electrical/sensor and work from there.

HTH

would like to help..but?????

wish I knew what to say but I dont so ill just shut up...What I do know is mine pulls real hard too.. sorry buddy but we will get it soon just be patient..

Back