All Tr's leak oil???>>>>Really?????

uwillose2

I noticed my Gn was leaking a small amount of oil and my mechanic was telling me that it's normal! Is this true?

You can fix the leak.:D All you have to do is track down the source and stop it from leaking. :) Can be time consuming.:confused: After you fix it, probably something else will start leaking......like your trans.:( After you fix that, probably something else will leak. After you fix that, probably.............................................................:mad:

I would say not ALL turbo regals leak BUT I would venture to guess that most (if not all) running high boost levels do. Maybe not bad leakage but some seepage at the very least.

Basically it goes this way...in a normally asperated engine the crank case is under a vacuum, when you start running any kind of boost (especially higher levels) the case becomes pressurized.

On our Blown alcohol funny car, we have constant seepage and have to change the oil every few runs because of the fuel deluting the oil. We're running TONS of boost (50% - 70% overdrive on a 10:71 blower) and it has a tedency to force things where they normally don't go.

A dripping leak would signify a problem, a seeping leak, I would think, would be normal...depending on your boost levels.

To fix or not?

Interesting subject. I am new to GN owernship and am learning alot about turbo regals and my car. I have an oil leak and ihad it looked at. The mechanic said its coming from the seals. The guy I bought the car from said that it did leak oil. He told me not to bother fixing it, that it will just leak again!
Is it worth fixing or is he right!?

Re: To fix or not?

Originally posted by Mike Mags
Interesting subject. I am new to GN owernship and am learning alot about turbo regals and my car. I have an oil leak and ihad it looked at. The mechanic said its coming from the seals. The guy I bought the car from said that it did leak oil. He told me not to bother fixing it, that it will just leak again!
Is it worth fixing or is he right!?

I am also a new GN owner. Mine has no leaks, at this time. If it gets one I would fix it. I hate driving a leaky pos myself, not to mention the mess.

just my .02

Ron

Mine was leak free till I did a few runs at the strip. Now I have seepage from the main seal area. I stick a "Lite Days Pad" (yes the item in the bathroom) on the inside of the converter dust shield and its dripless for a few months. I just "change the rag" at each oil change. :D

Certainly, fix all your leaks as they occur. Don't, however, have your "mechanic" do the work. He'll have you in the poorhouse in no time.

Mine was leak free till I did a few runs at the strip. Now I have seepage from the main seal area. I stick a "Lite Days Pad" (yes the item in the bathroom) on the inside of the converter dust shield and its dripless for a few months. I just "change the rag" at each oil change.

Its bad enough my wife gets on the rag but my pride and joy, too??? I dont think so. I'll let her leak:D