Alright...want everyones opinion please

ZCore

I have a 87 GN and the only mods are green stripe injectors and an old thrasher chip from years ago. The car has 54k miles. I have $5000.00 to spend on mods what would you all recommend in order if you don't mind. And before someone tells me to go read the recipes on the other site I already have I just wanted everyones opinion that didn't mind giving it because everyone has a different one. Thanks in advance. Oh and I guess you know I want the $5k to be performance oriented and not cosmetic. Thanks

first off...what's the over all condition of the short block & transmission? If those aren't in great shape, I'd look into that.
After that, it would all depend on your goals.
Drag race? Driver? auto cross? Doing the work your self? We really need to know that info.

Well the car runs fine....I've not done the spring cleaning yet because I'm waiting to see what all I decide to do to the motor. The transmission seems fine and shifts well. The car has been taken care of. Is there something I should look for? I am new to these engines and thats why I'm reading and asking a lot of questions.

Champion irons,cam,hot wired pump,ported intake,bigger injectors,bigger intercooler,bigger turbo,etc.

Provided you can do the work;

Used T-66....................................................700$
Used stock location or FM............................500$
75# injectors...............................................360$
Red A chips..................................................100$
Red A double pumpers.................................499$
206/206 ductile roller cam & timing chain.....800$
Champ Irons...............................................1200$
Head studs.....................................................75$
Cometic head gaskets..................................110$
Clevite bearings..............................................60$
Rear main........................................................12$
Oil pan gasket.................................................13$

Transmission;
Used 3200 stall L/U........................................350$
PTS shift kit......................................................75$
PTS PR system...............................................100$
Wide Alto band................................................28$
700R4 filter......................................................10$

That would go pretty good, provided you had a good exaust system. You could probably find good used injectors and maybe a double pumper to save some money for an exhaust. Or go smaller turbo and injectors so a single 340 would work to save some $. Or up the anti to 10,000 :D

here's my recipe

basics:
hot wired fuel pump(Quad Air,Walbro 340,etc)-$150aprox
Adjustible fuel press. regulator-$75-100
Scanmaster 2.1-$250
Blue Top Injectors(36lbs)-$300
Joe Lubrant chips-$60(street)&$70(race) i would get both
160* thermostat-$8
Boost Gauge & Pod-$70
Soft Compound rear brake shoes-$30
Air Lift bags for the rear springs-$70
Shift Kit for Transmission-$80aprox
Cold air Induction-Homemade-$50/Buy it-$150-200
Bilstein Shocks-$300 good for handling and drag racing
Terry Houston 3" Stainless Downpipe-$430
ATR Dual 2 1/2in. Stainless Exhaust-$600aprox
Drive Shaft Loop-$40
TA-49 Turbo w/actuactor-$750aprox
PTE Front Mount Intercooler-$850
Art Carr 2800 stall 9" L/U converter-$700-800aprox
A pair of 26x10.5x15 slicks-$300
Quad Air volt booster-$60aprox
ramchargers dual fans-$100
Total-$5500 aprox

this is a lot of stuff but it will get you into the mid-high 11's with EASE and it's everything you need to go to the Drag Strip for the most part. let me know if you have any questions. but the is the EXACT same setup i have minus Turbo & Converter and with stock turbo at 19psi i went 12.22@108. but my stocker just took a crap on me so i will be getting a TA-49 real soon:cool: but this will make a bada*s setup!!

cody

My combo would get you mid 11's on slicks/race gas/high timing chip for less than $5K. See sig.

well hell, you can go 11.20's-10.90's with some MSD 50's and a set of ported heads with the same setup i gave you. but i do not recommend it due to stuff breaking after mid-low 11's. but the setup i gave you is very popular and very effective.so unless you have 10k or more i would not even think about 10's as you will find yourself in a money pit. just my 2 cents.

cody

cody thats what I want is a combo that can run in the 11s without breaking things all the time. I never said anything about wanting 10s. I was just thinking that for 5k I could probably be somewhere in the mid 11s and not be beating the car to death. But I must be off a little.

I'd say $5K is the bare minimum you should expect to spend to get into the mid-11s reliably (read without beating on your car mercilessly).

Did you ever consider leaving the car alone and just enjoying it as is? Just a suggestion. (You'll remember I said this when you pop your 1st head gasket)

This board is maturing because last year a hundred guys would have said you can go mid-11s for $300.

Good luck to y'all...

:)

As I said above, the TA-49/TE-44, intercooler, injectors, exhaust, downpipe with traction/chip/race gas will get you mid 11's. You can still use the stock tran/converter, too. These will not cost you $5K.

Strikeagle I appreciate your comments and I bought the car knowing I would mod it. Even though back in the day this was one of the most feared cars on the street now its just another car when running stock. I do want a setup where I wont be blowing head gaskets all the time. Are you saying you can't go fast without blowing head gaskets? I am new to this (very new) but I thought most blown head gaskets where from too much knock and detonation from trying to do too much with too little. Correct me if I am wrong because I'm just trying to learn....thanks again for your info :)

I have a beautiful, low miles GN with all the best bolt-ons that can run mid-11s at the track, although it never has. It blows everything away on the street running 20 PSI and 100 octane, except for a couple of ties, one with an LS1 'vette and one with an LS1 TA, both modded I presume, and a loss to a 10 second Nova we won't dwell on.

I enjoy the car immensely, but when you get to the end of the line you wonder if you wouldn't have liked it just as much had you kept it stock. After all, it's a money game, and no matter how fast you are, somebody can always go faster.

You have to decide what's best. And no, mid-11s doesn't imply a bunch of blown head gaskets. But keep in mind that you can only light the wick so many times before the firecracker takes your fingers off.

Just use your head, and I'm sure you'll be satified with the outcome. In other words, if something seems a little over the top, it probably is...

Exactly Strikeagle....and in no way was I putting down stock GN's in case anyone takes it that way. I was just saying they aren't the "stock" force they once were. And nothing would be worse than getting beat by a Honda on the street to me lol....but yes as you said someone is always faster. Would you mind letting me know what bolt on mods you have?

keep the knock below 3* and you will be fine to mid 11's but if you go much faster than that then you will regret it. HTH, again ZCore if you have any questions just e-mail me.

cody

And strikeagle I would have to say they had some serious mods....I had a 99 Vette and with ram air the best I could get was a 13.2. And I wasn't a bad shifter either..its was a 6spd. If I could have hooked better I think I could have hit high 12s. So yes they must have had quite a few mods on them.

OMIGOD!!! Where do I begin? A 52, a V-2, 50's, an ME-16, a 3" SS THDP with dump, 3" ATR SS duals, a Janis tranny, a 9/11, a PTE doghouse, a PP, a Tomka kit, 10 MM Magnecores, a TA cover, polygraphites, RA XP+, Casper's Hot Wire, bags, braces. How much time you got???

I like to think this is the car Buick should have made. It looks showroom, and it's done right.

Oh, and low 13's on the street are nothing to sneeze at. And LS1's are damn fast. Sure, I could hands these guys their poopers at the track, but that's not the game...

Yeah low 13s on the street isn't bad at all. We've got a CL55 and that thing is the fastest car I've driven. On the street its really tough to beat. I imagine with mods in the 11s running the higher boost you get really really bad wheelspin on the street if you don't watch it correct?