You can type here any text you want

Aluminum Blocks

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bob Mustic

Does anyone know any info on the Stage II Aluminum blocks? I've heard all kinds of stories on how they won't take any real power, etc.

Does anyone know where there are one of these blocks?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

This is Rob I sold you the cranks, trust everything was 100%..Anyway back to your question yes they do exist. They are cast the same as the iron however they will not take the power the iron will. I personally have not heard of anyone pushing these block past 500-600 hp. I would go with a nice used on-center low 4" bore block, should be able to find one for $1200-1600..

I have more turbo cranks if you are intrested..

Regards
Rob

Rob

I got the crank and it and the rods look great. They are now "pickled" and waiting their "home"...

I believe your correct about the Aluminum block. I've heard everything from they'd take 450 on up to a high of 800 horsepower. (Ron T. gave me that number) Since I'd use it in my Cobra which is normally aspirated (473 HP) I think it would be nice to have one just for the weight advantage. I've heard that they weigh around 90 lbs vs 142 for the Stage II block.

I'm not in a hurry for a block so I'll wait and see if I can come up with an aluminum one before I go for the steel. I've wondered if a stock Gn block with a girdle would handle the RPM (8,000) and HP. I'd think it would but it would be a distant last choice.

I have the feeling that my current motor is not being pushed real hard with mostly street driving with some Road race and Drag race time. Its got really good internals and being an odd fire its just "loafing". I did find something amazing about it the other day though. We went to a GN club meeting up near Chuck Leepers house (north side of ATL). I filled the tank to the first "click" before leaving and then again when I got back. Mileage was roughly 100 miles all at 75 MPH in overdrive 2500 RPM. When we refilled the tank it took 4.3 gallons which I thought couldn't be. So I kept easing fuel into the tank until it was absolutely full. 5.0 gallons which is right at 20 MPG. Since this thing has a "flowed" 1000CFm Holley I didn't expect decent mileage. It was jetted on the dyno so it also makes power. Surprised me...

Regards,

Bob

Does anyone know if Mike T. out at T/A performance is going to build a "new" Aluminum V-6?

Gee...that's a great question. I wonder if his website says anything about that:rolleyes:

Yeah, aluminum blocks suck. All the guys in Top Fuel run iron blocks with Aluminum paint;)

Alum blockz

Yeah, aluminum blocks suck. All the guys in Top Fuel run iron blocks with Aluminum paint

ME too!!;) ;) ;)

Originally posted by Anthony
Does anyone know if Mike T. out at T/A performance is going to build a "new" Aluminum V-6?

The aluminum block we had in Bowling Green last month is being machined now. This will be used for field testing, other block will be the dyno test one. Hope to have them running by the end of this summer.

Specs..

Do you know if these blocks are coming in a standard spec or are they being machined to the customer requests?

I personally think this will open a whole can of worms for Turbo and N/A guys. :D

It is a replacement block for the stock 3.8 capable of more than 1000 HP.

Not sure what you mean by "whole can of worms"?

Nick

Got the GN up and running. Seems to be fine. Rear "anti walk" was very slick. Thanks for the help.

I was wondering on the new Aluminum block. Can it be brought out to 4.5 liters? What is the planned cost? Any time line on when they will actually be sold, based on the assumption that the dyno results show they are OK...

Thanks,

Bob

Whole can of worms - That's referring to the rules makers for racing and the other poor souls that don't realize that someone has one of these engines in their car. ;)

I think it's great! It's ashame the Big Block Buick guys aren't serious enough to get their own engine as they sure could use a better block than what they currently use. :eek:

Originally posted by Anthony
Whole can of worms - That's referring to the rules makers for racing and the other poor souls that don't realize that someone has one of these engines in their car. ;) . :eek:

Ah yes, paint the alum heads and block all black and and even Buick fans would be hard pressed to know what is in it. That is until they saw it run! Getting a replacement part no. is planned for in the future. Then that will REALLY screw up the racing associations?

The block will be delivered with 3.8" liners that could go out to 3.90, and am sure someone will try 4.0. It is siamized bore.

We are not concerned about dyno results from a strength point of view, main concern is proper fit of all other parts and verifying CNC machining program accuracy.

Deposits are now being taken by TA and delivery expected in the fall of this year.:D

It's ashame there isn't an Indy program or some other top level program that could use these too. Like an American Lemans entrant or something like that to help boost production and give the Buick engine more visibility.

Regardless, it's a great thing!

Almost got the wife convinced to let me get a TA block, but I NEED a price before she'll give the green light. :)

I'm assuming that ALL stock 3.8 parts will work on the block (major selling point). I just want to tear my motor out, and transfer the parts to the TA block (minus bearings/seals and stuff like that obviously)...

Derrick

For a crummy hunk of Aluminum!?!

Good lord thats a lotta money, how bout I nring in my own aluminum and yous guys just knock some holes in it?! :D

jk

Will TA Perf be selling a completely build and assembled crate engine? And if so, what will that cost?

ive called Ta performance and i they said they will have off center and on center versions. 3.8 or 4.1. the block will come with 6 bolt billet mains. Cant rememer who i spoke to but they said it would support 1200+ hp. as far as complete assembly i dont think so. i do know they will be selling a setup that includes intake, heads, and block. the heads and intake are M+A heads and intake. TA bought them out. they say all of this will come out late this summer.

Is it worth the wait, or should i continue looking for a stage 2. It would be nice if this engine is strong and everything bolts up off of 3.8 know alot of people with stage 2 blocks, nightmare with brackets and ac and all that stuff. I guess we all are looking for more HP reliability and ease of installtion. Is it worth the wait?

Back