You can type here any text you want

Aluminum Blocks

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
"Late this summer"---say Labor Day---isn't far off!

I think I'd wait to see both new blocks (Nick's & TA's)
and then decide.

HTH :)

I thought there was only going to be a stock replacement block. I haven't heard of a on center Alum block being made along with the stock replacement block. Did I miss something here?:confused:

Really wouldn't be hard to machine the block for both ways. This is probably what he is doing.

He could get rid of that damn front cover issue that you have on the on-center blocks.

Two Lane
Just to let you know Nick Micale and Mike Tomaszewski @ TA Performance are working together on the block. It is not two seperate blocks that they are coming out with.

OEM BLOCK 4 SALE??

Anyone have a GOOD, original BUICK alum block for sale?? Have someone that wants to build a N/A engine.
Have seen these discussed B4, but don't recall by whom.
"Found" someone that "had a container load of them"! Said we had to buy them, like 10 at a time, [so the machinist could afford to do them] and they would be "only" $6000 each..:rolleyes: Can anyone say Indy blocks??:D :D

Thanks, Scott!

Thanks for the clarification!

As with any pre-release product, there's always some amount of confusion circling around about it.

I stood in the rain with a dozen others just to get a good look
at the block at BG.

There's definitely a lot of interest---me included! :)

Re: Thanks, Scott!

Originally posted by Two Lane
Thanks for the clarification!

As with any pre-release product, there's always some amount of confusion circling around about it.

I stood in the rain with a dozen others just to get a good look
at the block at BG.

There's definitely a lot of interest---me included! :)

I was at Cottons booth the first day lookin at the block. What a work of art!! I talked with Dave at TA Performance on this past Thursday and Mike was at the builders checking out the machining of the Block. September October is what they are shooting for release. Lets cross your fingers for me ;) I mean us.

block update

The block should be finished the machine operations in about 2 weeks. It will then go to Ken D. for assembly. It most likely will be tested there on the dyno. Will probably use the old M&A heads and stock intake with good 3.8 internals. The initial testing will probably not be for max horsepower readings, but for relaibility and compatability.

Block no.2 will be starting machine operations shortly after no. 1 machining is done. When short block assembly is verified, casting for the first run will commence. About one-half of the first run is already commited to people that have sent their deposits.

Design refinements to the old M&A head design are behind schedule but should be done in a couple weeks. It will then go into the casting process.

The M&A valve covers have been re-designed for better gasket retention, less posibility of leaks, and are now available for sale. These have "Buick" and the power 6 logo on them.

Design studies and flow tests are being done for a stock-type replacement intake. Not expected to see production before next summer. This is showing great promise of being much better than a ported stock intake or a worked Bowling Green one.

Cranks and rods are being looked at for replacement parts. Problem here is the large quantities the manufacturers require do to tooling costs, make the dollar investment very large.

Will post updates as it happens!

Re: block update

Originally posted by Nick Micale
The block should be finished the machine operations in about 2 weeks. It will then go to Ken D. for assembly. It most likely will be tested there on the dyno. Will probably use the old M&A heads and stock intake with good 3.8 internals. The initial testing will probably not be for max horsepower readings, but for relaibility and compatability.

Block no.2 will be starting machine operations shortly after no. 1 machining is done. When short block assembly is verified, casting for the first run will commence. About one-half of the first run is already commited to people that have sent their deposits.

Design refinements to the old M&A head design are behind schedule but should be done in a couple weeks. It will then go into the casting process.

The M&A valve covers have been re-designed for better gasket retention, less posibility of leaks, and are now available for sale. These have "Buick" and the power 6 logo on them.

Design studies and flow tests are being done for a stock-type replacement intake. Not expected to see production before next summer. This is showing great promise of being much better than a ported stock intake or a worked Bowling Green one.

Cranks and rods are being looked at for replacement parts. Problem here is the large quantities the manufacturers require do to tooling costs, make the dollar investment very large.

Will post updates as it happens!

Nick and Mike I just want to say keep up the great work. I talked with both of you at Nats and Monday came and had my order placed and feel very confident with your work. Keep up the great work and communication of the project.

I was wondering what type of oiling system will have to be run on these aluminum blocks. I know that it was said that stock parts will work on this block, so I am assuming that the block is going to be a wet sump. Right?? Or will a dry sump system have to be run on them like most stage 2 blocks.

Originally posted by rking
I was wondering what type of oiling system will have to be run on these aluminum blocks. I know that it was said that stock parts will work on this block, so I am assuming that the block is going to be a wet sump. Right?? Or will a dry sump system have to be run on them like most stage 2 blocks.

Your first assumption is correct. This has been covered before, but not in this thread. The only "non-stock" part required to install all internal and external parts from a 3.8, is the oil pickup.

The flange location will be at the front of the block like a stage II block because of 6 bolt mains in the middle caps [and end cap]. A long pickup like has been used on stage blocks will be needed.

The block will have revised oiling passages for better flow and be capable of dry sump operation.

Update Please

Hey!

What's new?

When can I pick mine up?

Ready when you are, Nick!

:)

Back