You can type here any text you want

Aluminum drums- HELP

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

supercrackerbox

Will wrench for beer
The drums are badly corroded to the hub. I've tried a hammer, soaked it in PB Blaster for a week, and gotten them as hot as I could with a MAPP torch (all I have access to). They still won't budge. I need them off this weekend.

How the :eek: do I get these off?

If there that bad, you may need to pull the axles. You can lay the drum face down with the axles up in the air and hit them with the trooper. ;)

You may just have to destroy them to get them loose. If you decide to take the axles out make sure to have a big hammer to drive the axle in so you can get the c clip out. If you don't damage them make sure to use some antiseeze on them when you go back on. Good luck.

You may just have to destroy them to get them loose. If you decide to take the axles out make sure to have a big hammer to drive the axle in so you can get the c clip out. If you don't damage them make sure to use some antiseeze on them when you go back on. Good luck.

Well I hope I don't destroy them. The whole point is I sold the 7.5" and picked up an 8.5" to replace it, and the aluminum drums were not included in the price of the 7.5" ($10 and get it out of my way). I'm not sure if I'll put them back on, but I know they're worth a lot more than $10 if they're turnable.

If there that bad, you may need to pull the axles. You can lay the drum face down with the axles up in the air and hit them with the trooper. ;)

How did you know about The Trooper? Do I know you? :confused:

But yes, I do have a BFH called The Trooper (Truper brand), actually one of my favorite tools! But unfortunately it went MIA last night. :frown:

Pulling the axles is an option my friends and I have discussed, but it will be a last resort. Mainly because I've never been inside a live axle before, and I promised the buyer that it worked fine last time the car ran- I'd hate to put something back together wrong and sell a bad part, even if it is only $10.

I'm used to FWD Turbo Mopars. This Buick is all very foreign to me. Not that that's a bad thing.

LOL! I don't think I know you. I have a truper too. It's my favorite. ;)

Pulling axles is no big deal at all.

are you sure it's corrosion that is keeping the drums on the axles? If the shoes are badly worn they may have actually cut a ridge into the drums which could be preventing the drums from coming off.

If you haven't done it already, the first thing I would do is turn the adjuster knobs so the shoes are as far in as they will go. If that still doesn't work, I'd recommend renting or borrowing a drum puller tool like what is referenced in this article...

Removing a stuck brake drum

HTH

Rob

Why would you need a big hammer to drive the axles in to remove the c-clips? You should be able to push them by hand. Every one that I've ever done slipped right in.

Also, while the axles are out, replace the axle seals. They are $4 at NAPA, cheap insurance.

are you sure it's corrosion that is keeping the drums on the axles? If the shoes are badly worn they may have actually cut a ridge into the drums which could be preventing the drums from coming off.

If you haven't done it already, the first thing I would do is turn the adjuster knobs so the shoes are as far in as they will go. If that still doesn't work, I'd recommend renting or borrowing a drum puller tool like what is referenced in this article...

Removing a stuck brake drum

HTH

Rob

No, I've done enough drum brakes to know when it's catching on the shoes or stuck to the hubs. Shoes are adjusted in all the way, it's definately the hubs.

No, I've done enough drum brakes to know when it's catching on the shoes or stuck to the hubs. Shoes are adjusted in all the way, it's definately the hubs.

in that case, I'd locate a drum puller instead of pulling the axles. if I understood your previous posts correctly, you want the drums off and intact because you've sold the entire assembly for $10 - ok, doesn't make sense to replace seals, etc. if that's the case. save yourself some work and just borrow or rent a drum puller. :cool:

Back