Aluminum Radiator AMERICAN MADE by ALRADCO!

Squid4life

Alright, here are some pics of the powdercoated radiator ALRADCO sells. I have swapped my fair share of radiators, some aftermarket and none have looked like this. At first glance it looks like a stocker when coated black, but if you look at the thickness of the filler neck, and the thickness of the radiator necks, it is waaay better. They are super thick, unlike others you can easily damage when removing a rad hose. (Come on, everyone has rocked a rad hose back and forth and came close to, or messed up the neck) The welds are killer too! Can't wait to get this beast in!

Attachments

• DSC01102.jpg
    DSC01102.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,888
  • DSC01103.jpg
    DSC01103.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,699
  • DSC01104.jpg
    DSC01104.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,708
  • DSC01105.jpg
    DSC01105.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,736
  • DSC01108.jpg
    DSC01108.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,684
Thanks for the positive feedback, James. I'm glad you like it. I love the powder coated look as well. We're going to start offering it on the other radiators we do as well.

I wouldn't think it will affect the heat transfer. I considered that as well at first, but most (stock type) radiators are gobbed up with rad paint anyhow, and ttey did fine. The tanks are coated a regular thickness, but the fins only have a light misting, only enough to give it the black color. I will get it in this weekend and report back, but looking at this thing, I seriously doubt there will be any issues!

I wouldn't think it will affect the heat transfer.........

Powder coating may not have much affect on heat transfer, but I do know the paint that rad shops use on radiators are special and designed NOT to hold in the heat. :confused:

This radiator look very much like one made in Sacramento a few years ago by a quality manufacturer. :)

Got the rad in and put some miles on it today. This thing is amazing! :cool:

You can see the tanks on the ALRADCO radiator are so much larger than the F body. If you put the cap on each radiator, lay them on their backs, and fill it to capacity through one of the rad hose nipples, the F Body hold just over half a gallon. The ALRADCO holds almost a gallon and a half! The new rad fits just like the stocker, right in the rubber "saddles" or whatever you want to call them, both on the top and bottom. The stock rad hold down fits perfectly, and one of my favorite parts: the petcock is exactly where the stocker is, where is should be on the pass side bottom right in the hole in the core support! No more opening the petcock on the F body and it drain all over the dang core support making it impossible to catch all the fluid. One nice little stream down to the catch pan.

Check out the comparison pics:

Another thing to note, the bottom rad hose nipple is in the correct, lower area. The F body is raised up a little, putting an odd kink in the hose sometimes. This is nice and perfect on the ALRADCO.

A huge thing to note it the core thickness and number of cores or main tubes in side. The F body is a single core, and it pretty skinny. You can see in the filler neck there is only one tube for the water to flow through. If you look at the ALRADCO, it is nearly the same size tube, but there are TWO of them. This thing is wide, and has flow capacity like mad!

Attachments

• DSC01115.jpg
    DSC01115.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,522
  • DSC01120.jpg
    DSC01120.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,493
  • DSC01126.jpg
    DSC01126.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,486
  • DSC01117.jpg
    DSC01117.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,471
  • DSC01128.jpg
    DSC01128.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,470
Alright, as you can see from the finished install pics, the radiator looks right at home, and looks like a stocker (maybe a little wider) when it is powdercoated black. I wanted a stock appearing rad, I no longer wanted the plastic/aluminum F body, and I definitely wanted something American made if possible. (hard to find nowadays...)

Once I got it in, filled it with distilled water and some Royal Purple rad additive. Left the cap off, started the car, turned on the heater to make sure it was flowing everywhere and started watching the gauge and the scanmaster set on coolant temp. It burped a little bit, topped it off and continued to watch temps. Oh, this was all with the FANS OFF to see how quickly it rose. It took a very long time to get to 160, probably close to 10 minutes idling. Granted this was water from the hose, and it was mid to high 70's outside today, but I thought it would rise much faster.

Anyhow, it got up to 162 finally, I turned off the heater and turned the temp selector to cool so the heater was not drawing any heat off the system and continued to watch. I shut my garage door to block some of the air going in the front and watched. After about 20 minutes it got to 178, still with the FANS OFF, and I switched the fans on. I watched the temps drop 2-4 degrees at a time back down to 159-160.

Took it for a road test, sat in traffic, then got on the highway. Switched the fans off and drove for about 10-15 miles all at 159-162 degrees, depending on engine load, hills, etc. Got off the highway, sat at a stoplight for about 3 minutes, then parked at a gas station for about 5-7 minutes, still with the FANS OFF. Let the temp get to 180, then started driving again. With the fans still off, the temps started dropping to the low 170s, then I turned the FANS ON for the rest of the drive home so I could talk to the wifey and play a little in traffic.

Did one last "test" on this drive where I did a couple "test and tune" runs. :biggrin: Temp was 160 when I did two 1/4 mile runs back to back, and the highest the temp got was 162, and as soon as I let off the gas they dropped back down to 159-160.

So, my final conclusion...? This thing is bada$$ to say the very least. Stay tuned, as I will be doing a trans service and adding a bung in the pan to monitor trans temps, then will route my trans lines to the internal cooler in this rad instead of my external after I get a baseline (external) temp.

Very, very, very nice radiator. The craftsmanship is art and the function is superior!

Attachments

• DSC01131.jpg
    DSC01131.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,422
  • DSC01132.jpg
    DSC01132.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,416
  • DSC01134.jpg
    DSC01134.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,455
hello peoples: That is a fine lookin pc. I guess you have a manual switch for your fans? Why? I guess if your a racer you can put them on when you want?
I think a better test would be to use anti freeze and maybe an additive and see what happens. Probably close to what your gettin. I'm a Mass Hole and I use AF with an additive and my fans are controlled by the chip.
Well it's suppose to be in the 50's today and that's above average for this time of year.
IBBY

Yes, I have a manual switch. When I put the F body and Intrepid fans in years ago, and let the ECM control it every once in a while my fan would come on with the car off, just sitting in the garage... That and I used to take it to the track more often, so I would leave the fans on in the pits for a few minutes to cool off on those 100* days. In over 5 years I have never messed with the intermittent fan run while the car was off... Totally forgot about it actually. I wired in the fan to run off a switch in the ashtray, all my own junk, and forgot about it. I have a high/low Caspers switch I plan to install because I seriously doubt I need to run them on high now! Guess I should prpbably troubleshoot the other issue now too... :)

Wow, what a write up. Thank you for the feedback. Really glad you like it and are happy with it. Thanks for taking the time to take all the pics and logging data, I've been wanting to do a fbody rad comparison for a while as well.
By the way, I think your shoes shinier than the radiator. :D

Drove to work and back to day, about 30 miles round trip. Never even used the fans. :) Outside temps were 60's, but this was city/highway/stoplight mixed. This things is great!