You can type here any text you want

Aluminum valve cover and oil pan gasket question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

eagleguy

What works best for the OEM T Type valve cover and oil pan gaskets? All rubber or the cork rubber mix?

Cork gaskets for the valve cover and oil pan? On my 71 I was told the best was the rubber / cork combo and was wondering if the same applied with the 86?

Cork gaskets for the valve cover and oil pan? On my 71 I was told the best was the rubber / cork combo and was wondering if the same applied with the 86?
Your choice..
Cork
Rubber/cork
Silicone
Fiber
I've used most all of them, at 1 time or another.
Last app was cork. Appeared to seal well. Engine just didn't last long........:mad:
Rebuild will be w/ the Felpro kit. Whatever is in it, goes on.

I hate cork!!! For a couple reasons, under hard acceleration from launches at the track, all the oil goes to the back and soaks the cork. Then winter comes and shrinks it. I've pulled it the gasket in 6 pieces once. So now I use rubber/cork with no issues.

I double up on my valve cover gaskets using Gorilla Glue to laminate them together the night before. I weigh them down and trim the excess glue off. Then I use studs instead of bolts and tighten occasionally if necessary to keep them tight. Sound like a lot of work? Maybe. But I just won't accept a single drop of oil leaking anywhere for any reason.

Now, that being said, I can't find a way to stop some slight moisture from forming around my oil pan. It drives me nuts. I have an aluminum sheet metal pan and every time I drive it, I have to crawl under it and wipe it dry with a clean cloth. I don't know what's on it now. But I think we have tried everything. The last time I screamed about it, Brian Cotton through something new on it. And this spring I'll scream about it again and again he will change it. I want it dry and I want it to stay that way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking of mixing up 2 part epoxi to weld it to the underside of the block! :arghh:Just kidding.

So, I have no advice for the oil pan.:(

I use the Felpro rubber oil pan gaskets, but my rear main seals leak enough to distract me from oil pan gasket leaks.

I use the Felpro rubber oil pan gaskets, but my rear main seals leak enough to distract me from oil pan gasket leaks.
Getting ready to change the rear seal as recommended by members which is why I inquired about the gaskets. My car is leaking a good amount of oil from the rear and has the original seal.

Back