You can type here any text you want

Amp settings question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Maltman

I noticed my amp for the mids/highs had the lpf and hpf turned on for the 2 channels.

Why would I need this turned on (either lpf or hpf) if I'm using crossovers? It would seem that I'm losing out on sound since the crossover cuts the frequencies so I don't blow the tweets and mids.

Can I turn these switches back to neutral (full range) and let the crossovers do their job....or am I missing something?

Thanks,

The high pass filter (hpf) is used to block unwanted bass frequency on the full range speakers and the low pass filter (lpf) is use to block unwanted high frequency for the subwoofer...

First of all what crossovers are you talking about? I thinking you are talking about the crossovers on your component speakers.

They're passive crossovers b/w the amp and speakers (motorsports brand...if that means anything).

Basically, I was thinking that I'm doing the same thing twice.....

The front crossovers are a little larger and different for some reason..but the same brand.

What do you think?

Just leave the high pass filter on, don't worry about it you are not doing the same thing twice.

Turn HPF on for both channels (front and rears)? I think I understand since I don't want the amp wasting energy playing the low frequencies to those speakers anyway....am on track?

Thanks for the info and time,

Originally posted by Maltman
Turn HPF on for both channels (front and rears)?

What kind of speakers on the fronts and rears?

I think I understand since I don't want the amp wasting energy playing the low frequencies to those speakers anyway....am on track?

Yes

Diamond motor sport 5" mid and tweeter (M2551) in front and in the rear

Diamond 5" motor sport/tweeter/x-over (M355)

...at least that is what is printed on the invoice :)

Thanks again,

Diamond motor sport 5" mid and tweeter (M2551) in front and in the rear

Diamond 5" motor sport/tweeter/x-over (M355)

...at least that is what is printed on the invoice :)

Thanks again,

Set both the high pass filter on

crossover settings

your best bet if you have crossovers on your speakers already would be to turn the amp crossover on full pass, meaning no crossover at the amp. Anytime you crossover a frequency you get a 3 - 4dB per octive loss at the speaker, that doesnt sound like much, but your ears can ctually hear the different. From the factory, the crossovers that came with the speakers are perfectly adjusted to the speaker with a full range input, id use that to your advantage.

Back