Amp/Sub Selection & Install

Black Box

Out cruisin'.
I just put a system in my GN. I mostly just wanted an in-dash CD and a little better sound quality than the stock system. Well, unfortunately, now I WANT MORE!! :D I need bass. Keep in mind that I know very little about subs/enclosures. I want to put 2 10" subs in the trunk, and an amp. Here's what I have right now:

Kenwood KCD 217 deck
Infinity 3.5" Reference 3052CF dash speakers
Kenwood 5.25" KFC-1368 door speakers
Kenwood 6"x9" KFC-6908 Rear speakers with 4x10 to 6x9 adapters and baffles.

I was thinking about either a Kenwood KAC729S 100Wx2, a Sony Xplod XM475GSX 200Wx2, or a Profile Clarus CL600 200Wx2 amp, and 2 10" subs. Obviously the Kenwood or Sony are better products, but I'm not looking to win any competition or anything, I just need bass.

My main problem is that I can't seem to find a box that'll fit in he raised area of the trunk, right behind the rear seat. If I were to mount it anywhere else in the trunk, will it reduce the effectiveness of the subs? Will they sound weaker? Or is that the only way to do it without a custom enclosure? I wouldn't mind going with a custom box, that would allow me to store the T-tops when they're out, instead of having the subs where the T's belong.

Any suggestions for my setup?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

How much $$ are you willing to spend? Building a box to hold 2 10's and the amps and fitting it on the shelf is no problem at all.

The only reason people always put the enclosure on the shelf is because it conserves space, putting it in the middle yields a 100% useless trunk. You won't have enough space to fit anything in front, behind or on the sides. By putting it on the shelf you have a lot of trunk space still available and very little wasted space.

I'm in the same boat as you, i need the room for t-tops. instead of two 10's you can get one 12 and stick it on the side there opposite the spare and still have room for the t-tops. make sure you get a small to med inclosure and you'll be ok.

Originally posted by mcss383

The only reason people always put the enclosure on the shelf is because it conserves space, putting it in the middle yields a 100% useless trunk. You won't have enough space to fit anything in front, behind or on the sides. By putting it on the shelf you have a lot of trunk space still available and very little wasted space.

not totally true, i had a massive box in my cutlass when i had two 15's . I had two amps, crossover, and cd changer screwed to the box. I had a full size spare, a full size jack, a emergency roadside kit, a gas can,a seat cushion and a blanket for football games, and a box of misc stuff. I mean you need two people to carry the box when it was empty but yet i still had all the stuff i needed.

Well to be honest I don't have a problem spending cash on a good high quality custom enclosure. As long as it sounds good and can fit behind the rear seat I'll be happy. I just have to have trunk space. It's one of the reasons I bought the GN in the first place (versatility and cargo capacity over a Camaro, Firebird, etc...). What would something like that cost? I have dimensions of the aera I want to put it in if you need them.

Thanks
Steve

There are custom boxes for......

....the G-body cars out there. I bought one years ago when I first got my Regal that held two 12's, and it sat up on the raised deck of the trunk. It was high in the middle and dropped down around the 6x9's. It was a very tight box, and still gave me room in the lower part of the trunk. It could probably be built yourself, but it wouldn't be as simple as your basic square box! I paid $200 for it about 7 years ago, but it was well worth it! Hope that helps some!

If you want something that will get loud with a single 10 or 12 check out the deathbox at www.decware.com I have the plans but its illegal for me to share them. You gotta pay your own 10$ :)

I also built the home wrecker sub with dual 15s and it sounds great. Sounds as good as a buddies 1300$ legacy sub. Too bad its not as pretty :)

Evan

PS.. I did a deathbox for a customer in a tahoe. Sound quality was VG, and alot of output for a single 12 against a back seat.

I have two older JBL GTI 12" woofers operating free air off a baffle board in front of my electronics that sit up nicely on the parcel shelf. Trunk is open and the subs. fire into the rear seat.

Plenty of bass with a Kenwood amplifier similar in power and size to the one you have listed. I could run 2-3X the power but the sytem has been in there 7 years now and with real music it still gets plenty loud and the bass was flat on the RTA I used. About +6 db eq. at 45Hz. Flat or +1 on the head unit bass and midbass control depending on source. Certainly not overly eq'd.

I liked the JBL's so much I put a mono'd 8" GTI up front under the glove box to even out the bass. It is no longer localized to the rear. Also operating free air. The JBL's are tough yet still provide excellent low distortion sound output with music. Especially rock music. :)

Another option that leaves the trunk wide open.