You can type here any text you want

Analysis Paralysis

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

excobraguy

OK, so i've been away from turbo Buicks for over 8 years now and recently picked up an 86 GN. I have found that the more I read the more I suffer from over analyzing my needs and wants. I want an 8 second GN but I really only need a mid 10 sec car and also only have the budget to have a mid 10 sec car, maybe????

What i have to work with is this:
86 GN with recently rebuilt motor, not a 109 block. It's a 3.8 block with the tapped turbo drain hole. unknown to me what is in it internally. Leaking oil out the drain line too!
Turbo, unknown what size it is, not Stock but is a Garrett. Has RJC boost controller, runs 15-17 lbs
AEM A/F digital A/F gauge installed, works great. Car stays at 10:1 under boost, running rich.
Spark plugs, haven't checked yet to see what they are.
Injectors, 60lb is all I know. Unknown as to the brand they are.
Stock intercooler
Stock MAF with K&N filter
Dual Electric fans, 1 runs all the time the other one has never kicked on.
Has a NX Express nitrous kit with 75 shot running Maximizer 4 progressive controller (for sale!)
Stock rearend with M/T drag radials
Accufab regulator
voltage booster
Tranny, unknown if it has been built, torque converter size unknown. Shifts good, has stumble sometimes shifting into third though, accompanied by "turbo sneeze". Has manual trans brake installed.
Has a TurboTweak chip for the setup that is on it.
No Alky installed.

So....I'm at the point where I decide where to start. Do I rip the motor out and build one where I know what is in it? How do I know the block I have is even worth keeping? Maybe not even a turbo crank.....

All I'm wanting to do is get to a reliable mid 10 sec street/track driven car. Just need a little help on deciding where to start. I'd say my budget is in the $6500 range to get there.........your thoughts and comments are appreciated!

Previous owner knows nothing about engine/trans etc. and could not even put me in contact with the guy he got it from, so no hope there! I'm a systems analyst by job trade so of course I am over analyzing everything. Just looking for input as I'm sure others have been where I am today.....so what did you do to get the ball rolling?

Thanks,
Dean

post some pics

spend some time identifying what you have, then the path will be clearer.

Bob

You might buy a 109 known good block and start putting together the engine that you want while you have the other one in the car to drive. You can design your combo around what your goals are.

Pull the pan and check the crank to see if it is a turbo crank. If it is, I'd leave it alone but still start on another motor. $6500 will get eaten up pretty quick on a long block that'll be reliable in the mid 10 sec range with forged internals and cleaned up stockish heads. You'll need a few suspension mods, good electrical system and fuel system, and a $3000 tranny/converter combo if you don't have the good stuff now. Add a bigger turbo depending on what you have now. I'd just check out what you have first and see what you can do at the track with current setup once you get it running right they way it is without the richness. If it is a turbo crank, throw alky on it and see what it do.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Guess ill make an inventory of what i have and go from there....sucks the guy didnt have previous owner contact info

OK, got some info..........
Block is casting # 25524140 which comes back as an 85 block N/A, is this a good block???????
Injectors are Siemens Deka # 07961 on top and the bottoms are B161A06747, from what I found these are 60lb injectors
Has Flex-A-Lite dual fans
Tranny is a blue tagged BRF transmission, appears to be original.......I think blue was 86 and yellow 87

gn pic.JPG

That is the casting number from my original 1985 GN engine.

If it's not knocking or smoking, with just a few add-ons you can have a reliable mid-11 second car that would be just as fun and save yourself a whole lot of money and grief. It's your money but you won't be enjoying the car any time soon going the 10-sec route. Nice looking car. Lose those white letter tires or turn them in, yuck! And get a pair of hood badges. Congrats!

Also, do a compression test and leakdown test. You'll know more about it's health. I think you can buy those gauges cheap at Harbor Freight or maybe rent at AutoZone.

Last edited:
If it's not knocking or smoking, with just a few add-ons you can have a reliable mid-11 second car that would be just as fun and save yourself a whole lot of money and grief. It's your money but you won't be enjoying the car any time soon going the 10-sec route. Nice looking car. Lose those white letter tires or turn them in, yuck! And get a pair of hood badges. Congrats!

Also, do a compression test and leakdown test. You'll know more about it's health. I think you can buy those gauges cheap at Harbor Freight or maybe rent at AutoZone.

Yeah, the white letters have already been turned. Strongly agree there! I have the gauges to do the tests you are speaking of. The engine rebuild only has 2000 (2k) miles on it. It's still pretty healthy and no smoking and no lifter noise at all, which surprises me.

I'm just now getting into it. I just struggle with the decision on which direction to go. I've spent tons of money in the past trying to "fix" an engine to make it what I wanted when I would have been ahead of the game just doing it right the first time...........don't want to fall into that trap again.

Yeah, the white letters have already been turned. Strongly agree there! I have the gauges to do the tests you are speaking of. The engine rebuild only has 2000 (2k) miles on it. It's still pretty healthy and no smoking and no lifter noise at all, which surprises me.

I'm just now getting into it. I just struggle with the decision on which direction to go. I've spent tons of money in the past trying to "fix" an engine to make it what I wanted when I would have been ahead of the game just doing it right the first time...........don't want to fall into that trap again.

ARE YOU IN MISSISSIPPI?

Well I too.wanted a 10sec car and felt I had a great foundation. Pulled the pan and fpund chunks. Took out thrust bearing. Now motos getting rebuilt. I called 3 top tr engine builders and min is 7500 for a built long block. That was me supply heads cam rockers chain. No.way was I.preparred for that but what can.you do now? Id say get the car running right and baseline it. Itemize all you want to do to the car add it up and maybe add another 3k for the might as well.parts and really see if thats what you want to do. Maybe youll be good and can build off your motor. I hope so bc my build is a mild-med one.and.its spirialing fast.

Doesn't take long at all for things to get expensive.

Guess ill make an inventory of what i have and go from there....sucks the guy didnt have previous owner contact info
I'd get out a legal pad and go down a list with what you have on left half. Then on right half you can list what you want/need instead of what you have. This can be turned into a plan of wants/needs with pricing. This can be turned into a budget. Hard to know where you will end up with just a goal and no plan to attain it. Plan your work and work your plan. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Leak it down, inspect what you have. If it ain't broke I don't take it apart to fix it. Others like to work on em. I like to drive em.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Back