You can type here any text you want

Another "angle"....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
This week's issue of Natl Dragster has an article on using a WB system for tuning..[DYNOJET Commander model]
The new angle is they are stating that the sensor MUST be mounted no more than 30" from the cyl head....
:confused:

Hey Chuck whats going on? I believe there is something to that.
WHen i have dynoed my car with the dyno wb and compare it to my F.A.S.T wb they are never even close. Every dyno ive used was always saying leaner than my wb or any car ive ever tuned for that matter. My 11.0to1 would always show around 11.8 on theirs.
But my EGT doesnt lie so i go with my 11.0 and it keeps my Temps down around 1650, Id be afriad to lean it out much more, Although i have heard of guys running upwards of 1800*.

aaaaahhhh...they're probably only saying that becuase the header collector area on a NA car w/ open headers or short exhaust w/ turndowns is such an easy place to put one. Mine in the cat pipe works fine for WOT in my WB controlled chip but for normal driving I gave up on WB control as it takes about 0.7 sec for the WB to see a mixture change since the length and minimal airflow so i twill effect that. I imagine somewhere just post turbo like most people place them is as good as you can get and would work fine for all round WB driving as noted by the aftermarket management systems.

My DP is coated mild steel and I didn't want an ugly chipped spot needed for welding on the bung thus its in the cat pipe. I know the car certainly noticed an A/F tuning change as the other night I leaned down the WB chip a little from about 11.5:1 to 11.7:1 and the car responded w/ over a tenth faster 20 to 30 and again in the 30-40 range along with an extra 250 RPM at the top of first before the shift where it was definitely pulling harder. So it'll certainly still be a fantastic tuning aid in our downpipe and cat area locations.

all done,
my 2 cents.

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
This week's issue of Natl Dragster has an article on using a WB system for tuning..[DYNOJET Commander model]
The new angle is they are stating that the sensor MUST be mounted no more than 30" from the cyl head....

I read that too. I thought it was intresting. I have also found that on the dyno, the dyno 02 was leaner than what mine showed. I was also told that this was because on the Fast system the 02 reading was an average where as the one on the dyno was real time. I have not played enough with any of them to really know if this is true.

Take Care

Probably true for the DYNOJET Commander. But, it may not be universally true. There are different sensors, and different controller designs.

If one wanted to run 2 WBs on a TR, that would mean one would be pre-turbo, and I doubt it'd read correctly, as a universally true statment.

It sounds like they're talking about just N/A applications, IMO.

Or just maybe they have a heater design that just needs some EGT to get the sensor hot enough, to function reliably/accurately. As opposed to say Innovative's WB, where they can code from being too warm.

FWIW...

I re-read the article, and find they are referring to the BOSCH LSU4 5 wire sensor. I believe that's the same as is in the Innovate kit???

The foto in the article shows the exhaust system to be, I think, a street system, as it has an exhaust pipe that runs well beyond the collector.
The display on the laptop looks kinda neat.. Shows a graph, a digital readout, and a "meter" like a speedo, all on the same screen.:cool:

I think the thing you have to consider when using the WB on our cars are the exhaust temps. Seems like TR's run much higher EGTs than NA or Nitrous cars. I know from my personal experience that using a wide band in the stock o2 sensor location makes it read rich with 1700º egts. In the downpipe after the turbo it reads more accurately. Same A/F ratio reads a lower more expected EGT. Just my thoughts.

Sully

Re: FWIW...

I re-read the article, and find they are referring to the BOSCH LSU4 5 wire sensor. I believe that's the same as is in the Innovate kit???

Bingo.

I've used the Innovative with just a tailpipe clip on sampling tube, and it matched my normal mountings readings.
Sounds more like they're covering, for a problem with their design.

On the DIY-WB, when I used it on an LT1 Caprice, mounted at the tailpipe, the exhaust was so cool that it's shut off the WB. Cool being relative. With the sensor element having a working temp of 850dC..

The big trick, in all the WB stuff is getting the heater design correct. Too fast and the sensor shatters, too slow and it gets contaminated.
Or so I've been told.

Back