Another GTA wheel thread, some brake/suspension opinions needed

Trannyman95

Yeah I know there are plenty of GTA wheel threads that date back a while but what I have not found in any of them is IF you change your brake setup does that help with fitment? I currently have two full sets of rims and honestly dont want any of them because they arent black but will make do with what I could find. Now here is my question, Has anyone used these wheels when going to the upgraded front brakes where you mill the entire rotor portion off and use the spindle section with say an F-body rotor? That will space the wheel out somewhat to aid in clearance. Same goes for the rear, has anyone used these wheels with a Disc brake upgrade on the rear and if so how was fitment? Also IF you went with larger fronts and disc rears were you able to go back to a 15" rim for the track or are you stuck with 16" or larger rims once you changed the brakes? I honestly dont have a set plan on what to do with the braking system yet but the stockers are gonna go. I would love to notch the frame in the rear also but I dont think it is going to happen this year.

Now on to supspension, this is an 86 Olds Cutlass and nonetheless still a G-body. I currently have cut stock V8 springs in the front- running series 2 L67 supercharged engine and it sits pretty low and handles great-also using Iroc sway bar in front. For the rear I am using stock replacement non-progressive 85 GN springs and it sits very low and the springs dont carry much weight at all or the tires rub. Also because of the shape of the wheel well openings on a Cutlass I think it is hurting me more since they arent round like a Monte or Regal but I could be wrong, these openings flatten out on the top side so Im not sure I have the full height that the other cars do so this brings more concern with the GTA wheels as I will need to change all of my springs. I dont yet have rear airbags but will likely add them. In a pinch I had to throw some rubber blocks in the rear springs last fall when driving out of town to a car show as the trunk was loaded down and the tires were hitting even on the highway! Those springs are just way too soft in the back but the car does ride fairly nice. Are the 87 GN springs any different or should I be looking at something else?

Sorry for writing such so much and hopefully those of you how checked this thread out read it all and have a few suggestions for me-other than trading it for a GN lol. Thanks in advance!

12" separate rotor brake set ups usually space the front tires out 3/8" or so. By using GTA rears in the front, thins can move the wheels back in, but the Fronts also have enough backspacing that they probably won't hit with 245/50 or smaller tires.

Some 15" Wheels will work with 12" brakes (like aluminum T wheels), but others won't (like steel GN wheels)

I do have 4 fronts and 4 rears but one set is from an 86 or 87 TA that did not have the divits on the outer part of the spokes so one of the sets will differ from the other but once they are black it wont matter much I guess. I saw the MT came out with a new series of drag radials in wider sizes than the 245 for the 16" rims but not sure they will fit on an 8" wide rim. I tried contacting one of the places mentioned that can widen the rims or take two rims and make one wider rim but never heard anything back.

I am about to complete this brake upgrade (got my brackets today, thanks Rob-they look awsome!), and do plan using the rear GTA's on the front. The F-Body rotor will act like the spacer, so you should have no problem with it. I remember the thread about someone having a clearence issue with the non-dimpled style wheel. If the black centered ones that you have now don't clear...refinish the dimpled ones and be done with it.

I believe the spring rate is different from '85 to '87'. Just get a stk replacment set from your local parts store-surely yours a worn out by now regardless, cheap enough. The GTA wheel with 245/50R16 (ft) and 255/50R16 (rr drag radial) tires are the same size at the stk 15" steel wheel setup, 26" total height or less, so using them does not present anymore of a clearence issue than the originals in regards to the wheel well area. I would get new springs front & rear-stk replacments for an '87, sounds like between cutting the fronts and the backs sound worn out.

Can't help with the rear disc question, I am using the drums with S10 cylinders. Should be enough stopping power, hold enough at the line, and not complicate my life. Should compliment the new found stopping power of the front brakes.

Good luck with your choices!

Nasty

the front GTA wheel clears a C4 Corvette 12" brake setup with a lot of room- like maybe almost enough room for the 13" C4 brakes.
this was on my 71 Nova, but the brake setup will be the same regardless of what spindle it is mounted to.

Thanks guys. The front springs on the car are the originals from the car but very stiff since it was an olds V8 car. The rear springs for an 85 GN I bought brand new and have under 5K miles on them. My friend Chodys (xXch0dyXx) 85 always sat pretty low and we put airbags in the car and it has been pretty good with about 5 psi in the bags. I have 275/50/15s MT street radials on the back now on a 8.5" wide rim but it is only a 3.5" backspacing so I get into rubbing problems with any extra weight in the back. On Chodys 85 he is using the Jegs pro-star style rims that are 15x10 and 4.5" backspacing with the same tires and they fit perfect. Frame is not notched on either car. I have been rethinking using the GTA rims and have them posted in the for sale section. Centerline has some new rims that I have been thinking about but are a bit salty. I think my favorite rims would be the custom Simmons wheels that were shown on the front cover of an older GM High Tech magazine on a white T-Type.... I would LOVE to get a set of those rims but is more than I want to spend. I am also partial to the Gotti wheels used on the concept Darth Vader Olds FE3X car in 1985. The rims are still available and are also about $450 a pop.