You can type here any text you want

Another little situation... opinions please.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GARY HARVEY

I have 1 (one) stud w/Heli coil that is .150/.200 from square @ the top of the stud. The location is one of the blind hole three top studs (closest to the intake location).
It has been suggested to replace the Heli Coil with a
Time-Sert which I have no previous experence with or
drimmel out the cylinder hole and screw in the stud after the head is installed.
I DO NOT want to hack up a set of BMS heads but I'm not also interested in screwing up a S2 block.
Anyone crossed this bridge before? :confused:

you are talking about head studs right? I would either put it in a drill press/mill square and redrill or make a guide the could bolt to the deck to square the drill bit/ plate with a tube. Just an idea

I would recommend repairing the problem with a Timesert. I have a lot of experience with timeserts. They are far superior to any helicoil type thread repair. GM has extensively tested Timeserts for aluminum engine repair and are validated for head bolt and main cap useage on many GM engines.

The repair process starts by drilling out the existing damaged threads. You would need to somehow extract the offending helicoil without damaging the block. You would also need a drill jig to be sure you drill and tap the new hole square to the deck. The insert threads into the oversized hole and restores the hole to the correct size.

Timeserts aren't exactly cheap. They'll run you 3-4 times the cost of a helicoil kit...but they beat the crap out of helicoil for strength and durability.

Attachments

• IM002251.JPG
    IM002251.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 134
  • IM002252.JPG
    IM002252.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 120
Instruction pictures

Attachments

• IM002253.JPG
    IM002253.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IM002254.JPG
    IM002254.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IM002255.JPG
    IM002255.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 76
Take special precaution to make sure the new insert is located on the deck correctly and is square.

Don's right....you need the new hole straight and square. I would use my deckplate as a drill guide or have a competent machinist make a drill jig that you could bolt to the deck.

Fixed

Rat tail and drimmel did the trick.

Thanks for the input and the next time it comes apart I'll be going the Time-Sert route. :)

Back