You can type here any text you want

Another Mercedes AMG kill

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

meanchicken

gallo vicioso
I guess my dry spell is finally over....

I was a few miles from work this AM at a red light in the inside lane on Edinger...a truck in the middle lane so I couldn't see what pulled up in the outside lane.
Light turned green and as I accelerated, I hear a V8 coming to life and look over....brutha in a new AMG wants to throw down.

So I nail it just as he's fendering me and he goes all in too.

I went around him and gradually put about 3-4 lengths on him and that's where he stayed well into the triple digits....we were closing in on a gaggle of utility maintenance trucks fast....and I didn't want to wait for his top end to reel me in....so I ended it and started scrubbing speed before I scared the crap out of the utility trucks.

He got out of it too and settled in behind me until we got around the trucks.

After we passed the rolling obstruction, he moved back to the middle lane and I see him letting his window down, so I lower my passenger window and wait for him to get along side.
As we cruised at about 50mph...
Him: Hahaaa...I knew I wouldn't win!!!! I knew it!!!!
Me: [Laughing I give him a thumbs up]

He settled back and about a half mile later we were side by side in traffic at a light.
Him: I know Grand Nationals...Man! I knew I wouldn't win!
Me: Ya...fun cars....
Him: That thing is tight!
Me: It's gone 11.14 at 122 on a conservative tune...it's a little detuned right now...but still fun on the street.
Him: [mouth wide open]
Me: [laughing as traffic starts to move] Yup....take it easy!
Him: You too man!

Dont tell slowcar about this he thinks amg's are unbeatable .. Good kill chicken ..

Oh....I'm not sure which AMG it was...since I never saw his rear bumper;)
It was a 2 door sedan/coupe body style and had the "V8 kompressor" tags on the side....maybe a 63....?

Hey mean - I am in need of new tires and since your build is so close to mine, thought I'd check what rims and tires you are running. front & rear. I have 15x7 front and 15x10 rear.
Terry

Since I drive my GN 50+ miles a day, I'm sporting street tires on stock wheels.
I went with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's all around.
Rears are 275/60/15's (gets me that all important 28" tall tire)
Fronts are 235/60/15's.
I tried a set of Nitto 555r's...but they only lasted 8 months...MT DR's are better but would probably last 3 months if that....so I went back to street tires and have to feather that peddle during my kills until I can get a grip.

At the track, I run the same front tires and MT Drag Radials on the rear that are also on stock wheels and 275/60/15's. I've been borrowing a set from Spoolfool2 (great guy!) and those were on the car when I ran my 11.14 at 122mph. I brake boosted to about 6-7lbs....let it go and went WOT without hesitation....no tire spin...could probably hit them with more boost at the line and get into the 10.90's.

A few months back I got a good deal on a set of track tires/wheels and picked up a brand new set of slicks and skinnies mounted to Weld Drag lites for $450. The slicks ar 28" tall and 9" wide with tubes. I'll try them out next time at the track.

You're still out terrorizing the streets.:cool:

I think we are part of the few with a 6265 turbo. Broke some of parts in September just before the Shootout at Noble and decided to upgrade some of my parts. Made first two passes on the engine at Noble on a wish and a prayer tune since engine only had 500 miles on it and it ran 127 MPH on both runs with a 10.78 on the second run with a half assed launch and 20#'s of boost. Been playing with the tune and it has really perked up. Traction is a REAL problem. Will get it back to the track before winter shutdown and see what it can do just the way I drive it on the street.

Phil Engle

Dont tell slowcar about this he thinks amg's are unbeatable .. Good kill chicken ..
dam u took the words right outta my mouth. I will say that the E55 AMG was the nicest car I ever drove tho and with some bolt-ons and re-tune it will go low 11's or faster at 4100 lbs. chicken still waiting on that GoPro video..... we need a newer ZO6 battle. see wat you can do.

dam u took the words right outta my mouth. I will say that the E55 AMG was the nicest car I ever drove tho and with some bolt-ons and re-tune it will go low 11's or faster at 4100 lbs. chicken still waiting on that GoPro video..... we need a newer ZO6 battle. see wat you can do.

Stay tuned...for my next kill story....:biggrin:

I like the threads best where you get to talk to the victim afterwards and find out if they're understanding of the car or just ignoramouses

You're still out terrorizing the streets.:cool:

I think we are part of the few with a 6265 turbo. Broke some of parts in September just before the Shootout at Noble and decided to upgrade some of my parts. Made first two passes on the engine at Noble on a wish and a prayer tune since engine only had 500 miles on it and it ran 127 MPH on both runs with a 10.78 on the second run with a half assed launch and 20#'s of boost. Been playing with the tune and it has really perked up. Traction is a REAL problem. Will get it back to the track before winter shutdown and see what it can do just the way I drive it on the street.

Phil Engle

It's a great turbo...does not spool as fast as a 6262 which Precision also recommended for my combo....but for me with all the street driving....faster spool would only be a bigger problem with traction control. I actually removed my RJC Boost controller in order to aid traction, and use that slower spool to my advantage. Even still...I gotta roll onto the peddle or it'll blow these street tires up.

When I did my 11.14@122, it was on 24 lbs of boost and about 6-7lbs of break boost at launch. My 60' was 1.67....so I have some room to improve. I think with a couple more lbs of brake boost...and I could have netted a solid 10.9X.:D
What's the rest of your combo?

Thanks Mean for the tire/wheel info. I only put a few hundred miles a year on the car so street manners can be different than you. I have 205 70 R 15's on the front and 275 60 15 Nittos on the rear. I'm leaning toward 295 M/T drag radials on the rear and probably the same size on the front. Also need a new alky system as my SMC pump puked. Gotta come up with some $$'s so it's just sitting for now.

I think 295's will rub unless you have spacers behind them (and the longer studs to accomodate the spacers)...the right back spacing on the wheel... or notch the frame rails.

Go Alkycontrol!!!!
;-)

Why would you put that size tire on the front? Don't recommend you do that.

It's a great turbo...does not spool as fast as a 6262 which Precision also recommended for my combo....but for me with all the street driving....faster spool would only be a bigger problem with traction control. I actually removed my RJC Boost controller in order to aid traction, and use that slower spool to my advantage. Even still...I gotta roll onto the peddle or it'll blow these street tires up.

When I did my 11.14@122, it was on 24 lbs of boost and about 6-7lbs of break boost at launch. My 60' was 1.67....so I have some room to improve. I think with a couple more lbs of brake boost...and I could have netted a solid 10.9X.:D
What's the rest of your combo?

Engine:
Stock block, bored .030 over, RJC girdle ARP main bolts
JE 9:1 forged pistons with ARP rod bolts
GN1 forged steel, long stroke crank
GN I Forged steel “H” beam long rods
Champion Ported Iron Heads
DLS 218/218 Camshaft
T&D roller rockers, 1.55 ratio
SS headers
PT 6265 turbo with “S” cover, heavy duty actuator and turbo saver
Terry Houston 3 1/2" SS downpipe with test pipe
Cotton’s 3” dual exhaust system
RJC boost controller
Hemco 62MM plenum
Jay Jackson 62MM throttle body
CAS V2 front mount intercooler
Seimens 80# fuel injectors
Deutsche Werks 300 LPH fuel pump, hot wired
Billet adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Alcohol injection system Razor
Cold air intake system with 4” RJC MAF pipe
GM aluminum radiator
Carter high volume water pump
Billet valve cover breathers
Aluminum valve cover spacers
Billet thermostat housing with 160 thermostat
TurboTweak SD chip
Powerlogger and PLX WB O2 sensor
Taylor 10mm ignition wires
Accel coil pack
Autolite 23 R plugs
Transmission and Driveline:
GM 2004R built from PTE’s catalog
PTC, 9.5 Non-lock convertor with 3000 RPM stall
B&M transmission cooler
Drive shaft loop
Moser axles with TA girdle and aluminum differential cover
Suspension:
5 Point roll bar with removable side and rear cross bar
Body bushings, lower and uppers
Rear "X" braces
Front braces, upper and lower
Air bags
Boxed, rear upper and lower control arms with polygraphite bushings
Bilstein shocks
ATR rear sway bar
Polygraphite bushings on front sway bar
Wheels and tires:
Stock for the street, BFG T/A’s, stock size. "H" rated on front, 275x60 Nitto Extreme Drag Radials on rear
Cragar race wheels for strip with 3 ½ inch front tires and 10.5x28 MT’s on rear

GNX dash, console riser, trunk kit and a roll bar.

Well OBVIOUSLY I wouldn't put 295's on the front. DOOH! Quess I should have written - I will probably stay with the SAME SIZE as ALREADY on the FRONT.
I already have extended suds in the Moser axles and 4.5 BS and rolled wheel well lips. Supposedly, (like assume?) the new MT 295's will fit OK. I GOTTA get somethig bigger than the 275's for traction. Rolling into the throttle is an easy way to get beat by some of the newer things. Up in smoke is no fun and I'm way too old to run slicks in FL on the street. On my 69 435 vette I actually did that in OH all the time way back then. I don't trust notching the rails for strength plus butchering up the car.

LMAO. I wouldn't think so but I have seen some here and other forums that might.

Be interested to see how your new combo works out. Takes a lot to run low 11's and 120 on 19# 's of boost. You must be a pretty good tuner.

I'm not that good. The 11.29 was quite a few years ago on C116 and 26 lbs. AND BEFORE all the mods listed were installed. I haven't been to the track in about 10 years. Several of those years the car was just driven occasionally while I was trying to get a screwed up engine rebuild by Cal Hartline fixed. The dyno numbers were after the mods were done and after Jeff at Trackside got the engine rebuilt properly.

Back