You can type here any text you want

Another pistons choices thread...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

forcefed86

I was planning on running the speed-pro hyper pistons everyone seems to be having such good luck with.

Now I see there is a cheap ($50ea) forged alum speed pro piston. Which has me leaning towards the forged units. Not that I have anything against the hypers, but the forged units will be lighter and "tougher" to my understanding?

Anyspecific reason to not choose the forged over the hypers?

Was thinking of just buying this kit and using a neoprene crank seal and SS hg's. Anyone use it before? Any reason I shouldn't go with it?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-MHP111-000/

Also was there some sort of special light weight wrist pin you all are using? I plan on balancing the rotating assy. So I'd like to have it as light as possible. I spoke with the summit tech's and they were not helpful to say the least. Just told me that fed mogul did not list the piston pin weights and they do not list any lightweight pins to use.

Thanks!

The speed pro pistons weigh the same as the factory cast pistons. You can get lighter pins which will lower the weight but it's still about the same as a stock internals. Forged will hold up much better if you detonate and are not as brittle as hyperutectic pistons.

I have always selected forged pistons in a performance car.

Being "old school" I erred building my Pontiac using chrome rings. Later developments convince me, moly rings would be a wiser choice.

Do yourself a favor a buy a good forged piston not a speed pro... goto ur local engine builder get a speed pro piston and then get a diamond or JE or ross for the same motor the difference is crazy :eek:

Do yourself a favor a buy a good forged piston not a speed pro... goto ur local engine builder get a speed pro piston and then get a diamond or JE or ross for the same motor the difference is crazy :eek:

I understand what your saying, and I agree with you if I were building a stage block.

but...

The hypers and even the factory original pistons have proven themselves over and over again. Even to the point of the block breaking before the pistons showing signs of fatigue.

So to me, unless your running a block that can take more than 600hp, what is the point of expensive forged pistons? :confused:

I'm just wondering if anyone had any bad experiences with a forged speed-pro around the 550-600 mark. So far I have seen many hyper speed-pros holding up at these levels. But I don't really hear much about the forged speed-pro's.

I love the speed pros, but have been having a hard time getting them.

summit will have you sitting on back order for weeks.

A.j.

Fed Mogul has a few choices for the 500-600 HP range. I am building a spare block but not a 10 sec one like I have now. I have always used JE pistons but the Fed Mogul dont look to bad?

Hi,
SpeedPro forged pistons are working for me,but at present I am using the motor in a street format.I am no where close to even 500 hp. No noise,rings seating well. I found the cost quite affordable,and quality seems good. I wanted some extra detonation insurance,so spent the few extra bucks.I'm sure Diamond or JE stuff is better,but what the heck,the Federal Mogul people have been pretty good in my experience,so there it is.

I've got about 50,000 miles on mine running in the 400 + horsepower range with no problems. With hypers, you can run a little tighter clearance than you can with forged because they don't expand as much but the forged are tougher. Because of the extra clearance forged pistons may have a little noise until they get warmed up. I used to have a BB in a Nova that had bad piston slap when it was cold but I bought the car already completed so I had no idea of the quality of machine work in it. Car sure ran hard though. Never had a problem in the Buick but I know my machinist was right on with his work.

There is one company making the piston blanks. Then each manufacturer finishes/machines them to their specs.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I understand what your saying, and I agree with you if I were building a stage block.

but...

The hypers and even the factory original pistons have proven themselves over and over again. Even to the point of the block breaking before the pistons showing signs of fatigue.

So to me, unless your running a block that can take more than 600hp, what is the point of expensive forged pistons? :confused:

I'm just wondering if anyone had any bad experiences with a forged speed-pro around the 550-600 mark. So far I have seen many hyper speed-pros holding up at these levels. But I don't really hear much about the forged speed-pro's.
Id spend the extra bucks for the peice of mind in the case of a miss shift over rev etc i read an article once that said on a small block chevy at 5000 rpm the difference between a speed pro and a srp(je) piston was like taking 2000 lbs off of the end of the rod:eek: i know our pistons are smaller but with boost im sure they are taking more of a beating especially if using just the two middle main caps with stock crank and rods..JMHO HTH

Running Weisco's in mine, was worth the cost for piece of mind. A busted piston can cause ALL kinds of damage Daniel

i just orderd a set of forged speed pros and plasma moly rings i will let you know how it goes

I just did the same... They look nice. But who knows...

These have the new DurOshield coated piston skirt.

IMG_3797.jpg

IMG_3801.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg

IMG

Back