You can type here any text you want

Another Priming oiling system thread

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

wb's87

willrock
I have been trying to prime my motor. I am using the SBC priming tool. I do not have the turbo on the motor at this time and am getting good pressure through the turbo oil feed line. I ran clear plastic tube from the turbo feed line to the turbo drain line. I have pressure also to the top oil cooler line where it attaches to the radiator. I know this due to a slight leak it at the fitting that screws into the radiator. How can I verify that I am getting oil to any other areas of the motor? I removed the driver side valve cover but there is no oil coming up through the pushrods. I put 5 quarts of oil into the motor through the cam sensor hole. The dipstick is still showing that it is low about 1 1/2 quarts. Am I expecting too much from the priming tool to send oil up the pushrods to the rocker arms? I thought I would ask these questions before I proceed any further with the reassembly.

TIA Bill

Without the lifter cups being actuated by use they aren't going to move as much oil as they do in use. If you made sure to prime the lifters with oil before building and fill the pushrods, the oil will get up top sooner. loose lifter bores can add to the time as well.

Plus you need to turn the crank 180 if you want to get all the rod bearings wet too.

As long as the pump is primed, your good to go. Don't worry about oil shooting thru the pushrods, as Earl said a lot more oil gets around once everything is in motion. If you showed pressure on your oil pressure gauge, your good to go. your ONLY priming the pump.

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. That eases my mind. Now I can start putting everything else back together.

I was wondering? Where does the oil from the turbo drain line go?

Also, any suggestions on how to stop the top oil cooler line from leaking? Should I try teflon tape or pipe sealer or permatex? The lines are brand new but I can't seem to get it to seat properly.

The hot turbo oil dumps into the valley area, runs across the cam shaft, then get's whipped by the crank and rods on the way to the oil pan.

Or on my engine, it just returns to the pan :)

The hot turbo oil dumps into the valley area, runs across the cam shaft, then get's whipped by the crank and rods on the way to the oil pan.

Or on my engine, it just returns to the pan :)

I did your front cover oil pump mods. Thanks for providing that info for everyone. As for my oil coolant line leak
I just put Teflon tape on the threads and it appears to have stopped leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did your front cover oil pump mods. Thanks for providing that info for everyone. As for my oil coolant line leak
I just put Teflon tape on the threads and it appears to have stopped leaking.

The threads don't make the seal on the oil cooler lines so teflon on tape isn't going to last very long. The oil cooler lines use an o-ring to make the seal. Are you sure the o-ring was on the end of the line when you screwed it in?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The threads don't make the seal on the oil cooler lines so teflon on tape isn't going to last very long. The oil cooler lines use an o-ring to make the seal. Are you sure the o-ring was on the end of the line when you screwed it in?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The ends of the coolant lines that go to the adapter have o rings. The ends that go to the radiator have flared fittings. I am not sure why they are not sealing properly.

Look at the sealing areas for nicks, burrs, boogers, or a ring where the sealing surface has been compromised.

Using Teflon tape on an oring seal won't work because the fluid with go between the line and the retaining nut.

On your case just removing the fitting to tape it and putting it back might have made the seal and Teflon is trying to take all the credit :)

when i prime my motors i usually pinch the hose i put on the turbo feed line and it pushes alot more oil through the rest of the motor and lifters and up the pushrods.it helped mine get oil up the top end..

when i prime my motors i usually pinch the hose i put on the turbo feed line and it pushes alot more oil through the rest of the motor and lifters and up the pushrods.it helped mine get oil up the top end..

Good idea. I thought about capping off the turbo the line but didn't have the proper cap. I was surprised how much pressure and flow comes through that line.

Good idea. I thought about capping off the turbo the line but didn't have the proper cap. I was surprised how much pressure and flow comes through that line.

ALOT of oil flows to the turbo bearing, the impeller reaches speeds upwards of 100,000 rpm, sometimes higher

Back