Another Volt lamp alternator not charging thread.

Nasty Wendy

Perverted Lurker
Yes I searched and read and I have a question still. Nothing new here as my Volt light will not come on with the key on engine off and the alt is not charging. I've pulled the instrument cluster and cleaned the printed circuit board. I cleaned the bulbs and sockets. All fuses are good and yes I checked the Gauges fuse. I have the resistor bulb. Still no Volt light with key on engine off and no charge from alt when running. So now this is where you all tell me to get a Field Fix module from Casper's Electronics. OK. But what if it is a problem with my alternator? I pulled the connector off of the regulator and grounded the brown wire and THAT makes my Volt light come on. Could it be that the alternator isn't working properly? I guess what I'm asking is - Is there anything else I can do to test for other issues. I believe that the alt is suspect based on all I've done. I know a field fix won't cure that so thats why I haven't gone that route yet. I do plan on connecting 12v switched through a 470 ohm 1/4 watt resister to see if that gets the alt to charge and if so then I'll order a field fix harness. If that ends up happening will the field fix also get the volts light to work?

Pull the alt and take it to autoparts store to be tested. Take the battery too

Sounds like a bad alt , when you grounded the brown wire and the light come tells me the circuit is good to the cluster .

Whether your light comes on or not, you should still get the field fix. That is one of the 'must haves' for our cars. The way the volt light is set up is a design flaw that could leave you stranded one day.

Whether your light comes on or not, you should still get the field fix. That is one of the 'must haves' for our cars. The way the volt light is set up is a design flaw that could leave you stranded one day.
He already has the resistor bulb. Wouldn't the field fix be redundant?

There is a way that you can improperly assemble the alternator if it has been apart, I believe its on the regulator or such a little connector with a slight offset in it that will cause this exact issue.

Dave I am no expert on electronics, that is for sure. I didn't state, or imply, that the Casper field fix would correct his problem. It seems like his alternator is dead, or at least not being allowed to charge. Does a resistor bulb correct the volt light needing to be illuminated in order for it to charge? I don't know.
But what I do know is that a $.97 bulb can stop your charging system from working and the $41 field fix would correct THAT issue.

Pull the alt and take it to autoparts store to be tested. Take the battery too

That's happening today. Battery is brand new and reads 12.6-12.8

Sounds like a bad alt , when you grounded the brown wire and the light come tells me the circuit is good to the cluster .

See thats what I'm thinking. What I didn't know was if there is something else that could be 'at work' here.

The resistor bulb stops the Volt light from stranding you. I want my Volt light to work because if I can know I'm not charging BEFORE the car dies I can do something about it. If the Field Fix will allow the alt to charge without the Volt light then I also have no indication when the alt dies. It is a great product but IMO not a replacement for a properly working circuit. My spare parts box will have an alternator in it. Should my Volt light come on I could stop change the alt and be on my way. Without a properly working Volt light then I'm still dealing with a battery to weak to start the car after the alt change.

Yes and no. Yes its redundant in that it protects you in the event the Volt bulb blows but what it also does is protect you should there be a problem in the circuit other than a blown bulb. A bad connection, blown gauge fuse, corrosion on the circuit board are the first things that come to mind.

There is a way that you can improperly assemble the alternator if it has been apart, I believe its on the regulator or such a little connector with a slight offset in it that will cause this exact issue.

Now THIS will be looked DEEPLY into. I did disassemble the alt to clean it up. I could swear I put back together the way it came apart but I will look to see if I brain-farted and used one of the insulated screws where I should not have.

Dave I am no expert on electronics, that is for sure. I didn't state, or imply, that the Casper field fix would correct his problem. It seems like his alternator is dead, or at least not being allowed to charge. Does a resistor bulb correct the volt light needing to be illuminated in order for it to charge? I don't know.
But what I do know is that a $.97 bulb can stop your charging system from working and the $41 field fix would correct THAT issue.

Yes, the resistor bulb corrects the volt light needing to be illuminated but the circuit still has to be working properly. My question here is 'Does the Volt light still work with the Field Fix harness in place'?

Thanks guys for all the input. I got a few ideas from your input and I'm fairly positive that I'll get to the bottom of this soon because of it. I'll report back and let all know what the final fix ends up being.

Problem solved. Thanks for your much appreciated assistance. Problem was I made an error during reassembly. This is an easy error to make for the inexperienced or uninformed which I was both as I have never taken an alternator apart before. The capacitor has a leg that is insulated on one side. This leg connects to the voltage regulator and uses an insulated screw. YOU MUST put the leg of the voltage regulator BETWEEN the leg of the capacitor and the insulation on that leg. Its easy as all heck to just screw that leg down without doing that. The leg of the voltage regulator has to be sandwiched in there.

I want my Volt light to work because if I can know I'm not charging BEFORE the car dies I can do something about it. If the Field Fix will allow the alt to charge without the Volt light then I also have no indication when the alt dies. It is a great product but IMO not a replacement for a properly working circuit.

I see your point, and agree with it:D.
I actually just PM'ed John Spina about the above scenario and this was his reply:
Light will still work, as the field fix places the field voltage on another terminal in the alternator. The volts light is still functional.
John

So if the alternator isn't charging the idiot volt light will illuminate.

I see your point, and agree with it:D.
I actually just PM'ed John Spina about the above scenario and this was his reply:
Light will still work, as the field fix places the field voltage on another terminal in the alternator. The volts light is still functional.
John

So if the alternator isn't charging the idiot volt light will illuminate.

Thats some good info right there. Nowhere else have I found that info but all I did was search, I didn't call John.

Here is a video I used to figure out what I goofed up. @ 6 minutes and 45 seconds in he talks specifically about what was causing my problem.