You can type here any text you want

Anti-Roll Bars...... Why don't I see more posts on the board about them?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
I have a friend with a Mustang..... runs 5.60's in the eighth with the stock suspension and 28x10.5's. Their stock suspension is similar to ours. He runs an anti-roll bar. Being a mechanical engineer.... I have to know how stuff works..... and why you need something before I buy/fabricate anything. I see tons of people on this board that use airbags to attempt to equalize the force the rear tires put down onto the track.... especially at launch.......

With this in mind.... I looked closely at the anti-roll bars and how they function..... seems to me if you had one of these...it just would be better than socks on a rooster. Looks real tuneable with the amount of preload from one side to the other....

I also don't see any negative effects by using it all the time..... looks like it would attempt to keep the rear end level all the time..... therefore also helping cornering....

Why don't more people with the turbo Buicks run these..... or talk about them.....?

Most of the faster cars do have some sort of anti roll bar or HD sway bar. I put one of the HRPartsNStuff bars on my car and love it. Perfect, even launches everytime. I wouldn't suggest it on a street car though. That may be why you don't see much talk about them. Most of the Buicks are street cars, not race cars on this board. Just like with anything there are usually tradeoffs to every part you put on your car.

Stealth, "Speak softly and carry a BIG anti-sway bar"

DR

Attachments

• IM001842.JPG
    IM001842.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 281
Blazer406 said:
I have a friend with a Mustang..... runs 5.60's in the eighth with the stock suspension and 28x10.5's. Their stock suspension is similar to ours. He runs an anti-roll bar. Being a mechanical engineer.... I have to know how stuff works..... and why you need something before I buy/fabricate anything. I see tons of people on this board that use airbags to attempt to equalize the force the rear tires put down onto the track.... especially at launch.......

With this in mind.... I looked closely at the anti-roll bars and how they function..... seems to me if you had one of these...it just would be better than socks on a rooster. Looks real tuneable with the amount of preload from one side to the other....

I also don't see any negative effects by using it all the time..... looks like it would attempt to keep the rear end level all the time..... therefore also helping cornering....

Why don't more people with the turbo Buicks run these..... or talk about them.....?

$$$

V6RACER said:
Most of the faster cars do have some sort of anti roll bar or HD sway bar. I put one of the HRPartsNStuff bars on my car and love it. Perfect, even launches everytime. I wouldn't suggest it on a street car though. That may be why you don't see much talk about them. Most of the Buicks are street cars, not race cars on this board. Just like with anything there are usually tradeoffs to every part you put on your car.

What tradeoffs are there? Is the ride much harder? I am looking at fabricating my own and really don't want to go to the effort if it will suck to drive it around on the street. I guess I could unhook it if it didn't drive to well .... then re-hook it up for track duty.......

If ATR still makes the 1 3/8 rear bar you might want to look into that as an upgrade. Don't forget HRn parts hybrid bar either.

H R Parts n stuff.
Wolfe if you want to cut the car.

ATR, if you're willing to mechanically link the lower arms together.

I've tried 1 + 3, and 1 wins by a long shot.

Bruce what does this mean?
I've tried 1 + 3, and 1 wins by a long shot.

I am thinking about the ATR bar for my setup(street).

Only thing I dislike about the anti roll bar is when you are turning into a driveway with an incline it feels as if it is in a bind sometimes. It feels like it pushes more when turning but my car is set up for drag racing not handling and that is why I like it. My car doesn't twist at all now when you lay on the throttle. ;)

I have the HR Anti roll bar and love it. I can drive the car down the track with one finger. No front sway bar but i dont notice that it is missing. NO body roll and car feels tight.

I've got the HR Bar on my spring, summer, fall daily, well almost daily driven GN since I still drive the WE4 salvageV6 as well.

Only problem I find driving around town and in those slow parking lot uneven driveways is that it squeaks sometimes. :p

Handling is real nice along with the Baer 4 wheel disk brakes. :cool:

I run a Wolfe Racecraft single anti-roll bar. There is NO cutting involved with the installation what so ever. It's a simple weld in deal. I find it drives just fine on the street although my car has seen little street use this season...top busy racing two series.

Attachments

• DRsusp2.jpg
    DRsusp2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 106
  • toddcalendarsmall.jpg
    toddcalendarsmall.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 102
Has anyone here gone to the trouble of building their own? I have seriously considered it. My friend says "why would you go to the trouble to build something you could buy one already made that works great"........ my response..... $$$$$ Obviously I don't want to spend 40 hours of time and effort to save $100 or even $200...... but the nice bars I like are $400+ (HR Parts and Wolfe). The HR Parts bar seems to have the least amount of actual welding to the car....but downside is it sticks down like the stocker....damn thing (the stocker) is right in the way of the floor jack.

Back