Any 1911 Fans here?

Hey, why didnt you guys tell me there was gun talk goin on in here?! I'm a huge fan of the 1911 too. A perfect handgun imho.

I kicked it off with an original 2nd generation colt single action army, then moved up to a mil grade 1991, and now its just my SAA and an original series 80 5" stainless. (colt of course) In the process of customizing the stainless too. I used to carry my 1991 everywhere i went, but chilled out in the last couple of years. As for carrying in a non carry state. Yea, its illegal, and i myself probably wouldnt do it ..but i support those who do. Even though its 'illegal' in Kalifornia, its STILL better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6 ANY way you slice it.

I meant series 70 rather.
coltsideshot.jpg
[/IMG]
coltsidebullet.jpg
[/IMG]
Colt1911.jpg
[/IMG]
coltsaa.jpg
[/IMG]

hey

by golly it looks like someone got a hold of some black talons (I thought i was one of the few still using them). 1911 is a great shooting gun. Rock River Arms has a good shooting inexpensive version out for a hair under $500.

I carry a model 92 baretta ( if I can wear a jacket).......or my FEG 9.....It's hard to find a gun small enought to carry comfortably and still have some knock down. My feg is a 9 by 18 and still has 1000 fps muzzle velocity...nice.

I love living in Georgia..(will issue)..by father took me to the appropriate building and bought my carry permit on my 21st birthday....and I'm not even a redneck :) and most states in the southeast recognize georgie permits.

great thread

WOW, i cant believe someone recognized my rounds lol. I actually bought those IN georgia, when i used to live there. (was stationed at fort benning) and thats where i used to carry all the time. (ya dont need a ccw in uniform)

Those rounds are from back in 95. Its funny. Everyone thought they were banned. lol. They were never banned. they just stopped putting the black moly on the bullets lol. And about that feg you carry in .380. Ya dont really need any 'true' knockdown power. all that crap about 'first shot stops' is generally bs. i mean, there ARE rounds way more powerful than others but, theyre not necessary to be honest. You shoot pretty much anyone, with pretty much any pistol in the chest, and theyll stop harrassing you. Yea, it may not kill them in 2 seconds, or at all. ( i think thats a good thing ) but itll get the job done. Good eye man.

.380 is 9 by 17, (mine) ->9mm Makarov is 9 by 18, standard 9 is 9 by 19. All good but not a 1911. I carried a Star .45 for a while...it was small but solid stainless (read: really damn heavy). I like corbons but......they don't make them (yet) in the size i need. Next up is a 40....:)

right. i knew that .380 is 9x17.. wow, why did i forget that?? I guess thats what happens when trying to think at 04 in the morning... :eek:
At any rate, if youre going to do another auto, why not just buy a 9mm. cheaper rounds, better selection, and just as good.

I

I like my 9mm's but I own a few of them. I've had .45's but never a .40. The ballistics are supposed to be similar.....not great velocity but alot of lbs of force at impact. Honestly, I just like guns..all of them. I usually end up buying what is offered at a good deal by friends/family/street hoods ;) I would like to get a 1911 soon.......just for sport shooting though. If I'm going to carry a full size fighting pistol I prefer more than 8 rounds. (double stack mags are great) Main reason i like my 92 9mm......16+1 :)

BERRETTA 92FS 9mm/ 15 round clip

Here is a pic of my carry gun, a berretta 92fs 9mm w/15rd clip.

First off its a magazine, not a clip. M1 garand rifles take clips. the rest take magazines. totally different. :D
and, whats wrong with a 7 round magazine? show me a situation YOU would get into, that required you to have more than 7 rounds of pistol ammuntion.....Take it this way, if you were confronted by say, 3 other gunmen, youre in trouble. and 16 rounds like 8, will most likely not get your butt out of that scenario, unless you use your pistol for suppressive fire, while you maneuver yourself to safety :) and for that, 8 rounds is enough to get the suppressive fire role accomplished. plus doublestack magazines, have to go in a doublestack magazine grip frame. heavier, and harder to conceal :) BUT, if you REALLY want a lot of .45 bullets, theres always para ordnance, or glock. they both offer hi cap guns in .45.
oh yea, and i think sti and kimber may as well. Tell me this. The singlestack 1911 has been SUCCESSFULLY utilized by our armed forces, for 75 straight years in a row. Every gi i have ever talked to in my lifetime, NEVER, EVER wished they had our M9 beretta in place of an issue .45 automatic. never. world war two soldiers used the 1911 with great sucess in that conflict. Going to catch yourself in a worse situation soon? :) Like old cars... "if it aint broke, dont fix it"
Ya familiar with the phrase 'over engineered' ? A lot of things on this planet are. And wind up being soo uneccessarily complicated, that theyre just as undesireable to use as the components they were intended to replace :) Like we say in the army..and im sure 'chance' from here, will know what im talkin about, when i say 'kiss' keep it simple stupid. Its the only way.

First off its a magazine, not a clip. M1 garand rifles take clips. the rest take magazines. totally different. :D
and, whats wrong with a 7 round magazine? show me a situation YOU would get into, that required you to have more than 7 rounds of pistol ammuntion.....Take it this way, if you were confronted by say, 3 other gunmen, youre in trouble. and 16 rounds like 8, will most likely not get your butt out of that scenario, unless you use your pistol for suppressive fire, while you maneuver yourself to safety :) and for that, 8 rounds is enough to get the suppressive fire role accomplished. plus doublestack magazines, have to go in a doublestack magazine grip frame. heavier, and harder to conceal :) BUT, if you REALLY want a lot of .45 bullets, theres always para ordnance, or glock. they both offer hi cap guns in .45.
oh yea, and i think sti and kimber may as well. Tell me this. The singlestack 1911 has been SUCCESSFULLY utilized by our armed forces, for 75 straight years in a row. Every gi i have ever talked to in my lifetime, NEVER, EVER wished they had our M9 beretta in place of an issue .45 automatic. never. world war two soldiers used the 1911 with great sucess in that conflict. Going to catch yourself in a worse situation soon? :) Like old cars... "if it aint broke, dont fix it"
Ya familiar with the phrase 'over engineered' ? A lot of things on this planet are. And wind up being soo uneccessarily complicated, that theyre just as undesireable to use as the components they were intended to replace :) Like we say in the army..and im sure 'chance' from here, will know what im talkin about, when i say 'kiss' keep it simple stupid. Its the only way.
OKAY, it's a magazine!! thanks for the correction. and as far as the 15 rd "MAGAZINE" goes, it was Pre-ban and that's what came with it!!:biggrin: BTW, Who ever said 7 or 8 rounds wasn't enough? WOW! all this from a picture!!!!:rolleyes: calm down there big guy! we are just posting some pics of our hand guns! Not asking for opinions or a story on the wars..

Turbo6Smackdown yes Sir heard KISS alot in my 14 years of service, as for a nine mil there fine for the ladies:D If my life depends on one single weapon let it be the cold steel of a 1911 in my grip. I used her in combat and she never let me down.

my comment on 'I need more than 8 rounds' was a comment from the post

"josh watson

I like my 9mm's but I own a few of them. I've had .45's but never a .40. The ballistics are supposed to be similar.....not great velocity but alot of lbs of force at impact. Honestly, I just like guns..all of them. I usually end up buying what is offered at a good deal by friends/family/street hoods I would like to get a 1911 soon.......just for sport shooting though. If I'm going to carry a full size fighting pistol I prefer more than 8 rounds. (double stack mags are great) Main reason i like my 92 9mm......16+1 "

I wasnt flamin anyone, just helping them with their terms, so that they know the proper nomenclature thats all. And about the 7 round deal. it was just an opinion. I cant have those? :(

everything else, everyone is going to have an opinion. I like 1911's...they are great guns and the model issued the longest in armed forces. I also like my 9. Notice how fighting pistols for police/security/military most places have started to go with glock? My friends on the force carry glock 9mm. I also believe that if you can't take care of the problem with less than 6 shots.....you probably shouldn't be carrying a gun. On the other hand; I like to KNOW I have enough. Being on the wrong end of a barrel is a horrible place to be......even worse if your out of ammo :) My next gun may be a 1911......they are works of art, no doubt, and they are a piece of history on top of being a great design.

"no keep them to yourself "
:( roger that. moving out smartly lol.

and kudos to you for carrying an old ass luger. what a piece of history THAT is. wow. You could quite possibly be THE last human alive using that as a carry gun. I think its sweet, original, and I love history. And i think that old things whether guns or cars or whatever are sort of a window back in time. they let you see how 'they' did it way back when. Its all soo interesting to me. I prefer old things to new things, and i love it when the old school stuff, beats out the new stuff.

so on that luger. the gun thats still touted as THE most 'pointable' gun around.. (along with the gp35 and the ruger .22 autos) hows its consistency? is it a repro or an original one. get any jams in it at all? how accurate is it?