You can type here any text you want

Any other TTA owners have this problem?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
For some strange reason my shifter will not go back into 1st gear and all the other gears are hard to find. If I had to guess, I'd say that the little flat clip that holds the shifter linkage to the bracket mounted on the tranny pan either broke or fell off. Almost feels like there is no 'notch' or dentent between gears....any other ideas???

Not on the TTA, but I have had that problem on a couple of other auto cars. Check the clip, the bracket that bolts to the trans pan, and also the cable where the end goes on the sheath, that sometimes will break loose. HTH

My shifter is hard to pull manually into 1st, the vinyl/leather whatever the heck it is boot in the console isn't loose enough and stretches tight at about 2nd gear, I have to really pull and stretch it even farther to get the shifter into 1st.

I had the "can't get it into 1st" problem with my GN. It took me a few hours of playing with the damned metal column linkage to get it right. Odd thing with my TTA is that the shifter was working fine and all of the sudden **** with no indications that it was heading that way. I also noticed that if I try to move it back and forth through the gears, the visual knock gauge lights up a few bulbs...something must be banging around there??? I can get it into all gears except first (figures I'd have a mechanical t- brake), and it is very difficult to find these gears without paying attention to how the tranny acts when pulled through the gate. I put the car up on ramps and will look it over hopefully sometime soon...I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks for the comments!

I got the problem... I think its the boot in my car... but I am finishin up rebuilding it froma salvage(#1053 saved from the crusher) SO, I dunno... right now my tires are so hard that I don't have a first gear... just lights them up all the way into 2nd, so I have not worried about it. Plus since it still needs a liine up really bad I haven't realy worried about it too much

I had a similar problem ..first was really hard to get into becuase of the boot/console..

You may want to check and make sure its not the tranny. Disconnect the linkage and see if it goes through all the gears..if not..its the valvebody.

Good luck

I had no problems with mine, except getting into 1st the boot would stretch quite a bit. After replacing the convertor, mine won't go into 1st either now. Haven't gotten a chance to play with it yet. If you figure it out, post it.:D

Found the culprit today!
As my luck would have it, somehow 1 of the linkage mounting tab bolts fell out and the other was backed out ~5 threads causing the mounting bracket to be able to move back and fro when I pulled it through the gears. My guess is the second bolt was being loosened more and more every time I moved the shifter in and out of gear! Anyhow, easy fix and I'm back on the road again. Thanks to all that offered an opinion!

Back