Any reason NOT to go 160# injectors with e85 and XFI

ttribejr

I have FAST XFI and am about to switch to E85.

All of my research shows 160s are just as easy to tune as 120s with XFI

If you know you are going to go for 500-600 minimum RWHP. Is there any reason not to go ahead and buy 160s now so you don't need to upgrade later?

I really can't think of any reason not to do 160s.

While on this is there any reason Precision injectors would be any better than, say, flow matched Racetronix or similar ? Precision sure charge a premium and I have a feeling they are just puting their sticker on a cheaper injector.

Who has the best deals and the best injectors (flow matched)

Thanks!

Last edited:
What is your current application? What do you plan for in the future? How will the car be used? For the record, I would never put Precision injectors in my car. Or, for that matter, Precision anything..... Just my opinion, please don't anyone get their panties in a knot, or a bunch, or a wad.....

IMHumbleO, MRE injectors are the best. Though, don't think you'll need 160's for 5-600rwhp. I'd stay with 120's for that hp range.

"I really can't think of any reason not to do 160s" Easier to tune, drive-ability, and cheaper. To effectively use 160's you'd better have a lot of pump and proper size fuel and return lines. Pumps that big are expensive and same go for the fuel lines.

You have a FAST engine management system, then you'll want to use a low impedance injector and I don't believe Prejunkcision makes a low impedance injector. Only high impedance. Though, please don't quote me on that.....

Also, you say "your research shows..." that is probably because the applications you've read about are properly matched and purposely built. IMO, you'd better be making a lot of ponies if you're going to use an injector that big. 160's and e85 will support a 1,000 hp to the donuts.

I would talk to the pro's first before installing 160's.

Good luck!

SMP 120's have a min linear pulse width of 2 msec and they idle right about there on E85. So they exhibit excellent drivability.
SMP 160's have a min linear pulse width of about 2.3msec and they idle at around 1.6-1.8msec. So there's some gap where you're running in the non linear zone. This mostly makes the idle inconsistent and the tip in inconsistent. But there are some tuning tricks to make it better.

SMP=standard motor products=racetronix

Buy only flow matched sets

OK. odds are i will never "need" a 160. I just figured if driveability can be tuned equally well on both, why not buy the 160s now. Thanks Beatav8 for those specs, that helps.

i will order a set today.

Is

Got to love a vendor with no phone number

Anybody know how long it takes racetronix to ship?

Or any other vendors carry a matched set of their 120s?

Thats fantastic man, congrats on 700rwhp. I admire your car. street car?
Thanks , I believe that is the calculated engine HP from the dyno, and yes mostly a street car with working AC.

How is it on the street? is the power manageable ? I have similar goals and a long road ahead of me.

Great street manors , thats the beauty of turbo's, keep your foot out of it and you would never know the power beneath the hood. But at that power level you need a real good transmission and a converter matched to your build. I call Dave Husek for all my transmission needs. Expect to spend $3-$4000 for both.

Last edited:
Racetronix 680lph dp with their -8 &-6 line kit

Last edited: