You can type here any text you want

Anybody else have MAF dropouts with JL chip

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sweet6

I have a bad MAF dropout problem with a JL race chip. I can not run over 21lbs of boost as a result. Just curious to see if anybody else had this problem. I tried getting a hold of Joe, but have not heard back from him yet.
TIA

im on the list..it sucks but it gets past it kinda quick but i'd like to do away with it just cant afford a translator + right now...:(

Originally posted by Sweet6
I have a bad MAF dropout problem with a JL race chip. I can not run over 21lbs of boost as a result. Just curious to see if anybody else had this problem. I tried getting a hold of Joe, but have not heard back from him yet.
TIA

Let me clarify your statement so nobody gets the wrong impression here.

First of all Stock chips, J.Carter Chips, Red's Chips, J. Testa chips, etc. etc. Including "MY CHIPS Do Not Cause MAF Dropouts"

Chips are not the cause of MAF dropouts. The MAF's & the signal they send or don't send is the real problem. It can happen for a few reasons: turbulence, over scale, overload, reversion, etc.etc.

Chips are programmed with certain options that maybe needed by different combo's. BLM lock, Scanmaster code, Anti-theft, Shift-lites, Variable timing, MAF lock etc. etc.
These patches require additional space to be taken up in the programming. There is only so much space that can be used so all the options may or may not be able to be programmed in a chip due to space available.

BTW- most programmers I know, charge extra to put additional code in chips when asked to do so. Everybody doesn't need all options, some don't need one or another. MAF lock under most circumstances is not needed unless a car/maf experiences cronic problems with drop-out. Then of course it should be ordered that way.

As far as me being able to program MAF lock, sure I can, when ask to add that as an option.
Maybe other programmers now put that patch in as standard issue, I do not as it is not always an issue with most cars.

Trying to get in touch with me, is a little difficult right now, as I have started a New Job, and time is not on my side right now.
6-10hr shifts with a 90mi. drive each way, if you get my drift?

I am not at present doing chips from home, and PTE would still be the way to get your new chip or old one upgraded.

Thanks for allowing my clarification.

YEAH, WHAT HE SAID :)

How you doin Joe? Good to see you still somewhat about!

Thanks for the clarification Joe. I did not mean to say the chip caused the MAF drop outs. Just wanted to see if locking the MAF at 255 was standard or an option in your chips. At the time I ordered my chip from you I had never heard of MAF drop outs. So it was my ignorance for not knowing about this issue. I sent you an e-mail to your home address about this problem a while back, please reply whenever you get a chance.
TIA

Joe,
Disregard the e-mail I sent to your home address. I missed the part of you e-mail that said you were not doing chips at home.
Thanks

Have a question or two, relating to the MAF drop-outs.

Are the MAF#'s droping out completely or are they just not maxed at 255?? i.e. 230's or 240's or does it go to 0??

On DS how many frames, rpm etc. if you have that info it would also be of help.

Thanks,
Joe

P.S.
I am able to get on board and also check my mail now from a remote location, so I'll do my best to help if I can.

im pretty much figuring with mine because my scan tool is way too slow to catch it.

i see my maf peg and just after that i get a lil buck and if i watch my a/f gauge i see it drop to lean for just a split second then it jumps back up an rolls on .

right when it does this i will get knock but it goes right away once its past that point.

does that sound like maf dropoff to you.

i will be switching to trans.+and lt1 maf soon as i get somemore funds for the trans.+ i got a maf for free of a wrecked impalla ss..:)

im going off memory on the above since i havent tuned on the car sence it got cold out.

i did notice my buddy's gn doing it also and hes got reds chips for his.

Joe,
The MAF drops to about 30. It happens in the middle to end of third gear. So figure between 4-5.5K RPM. If I run 20-21lbs it will only drop out once or twice. If I run 22-23lbs, it will drop out 3-4 times from about 80MPH to 110MPH. I can send you the DS files if you want to see exactly what is happening.
TIA

Joe,
Did you ever get a chance to look over those DS files I sent you?
THanks

Back