You can type here any text you want

Anybody have GSClub springs?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNRick

Retired member
I'm thinking of buying a set for $250 plus $32 UPS charge. Their newsletter says they are the best. Of course. I called and they said that they are made by a company in Sebring, Fla. I think it was Suspension Techniques. So, does anybody have them and if so, what do you think?

Well, if they're made by Suspension Techniques, you could probably save yourself around $75 by buying the ST springs from Summit.

Thanks BrownDog! I found them here, too--http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/buicgrannatv.html

Suspension Techniques I thought was a reseller, not a manufacturer, and if that is the case, there are probably better springs out there. I just had installed Kirban's and am quite happy.

I'm thinking of just contacting the dealer and getting the stock springs. At least it won't bottom out on the highway. Seems like this is one of those areas where you get either performance or reliability. Can't have it both ways. :mad:

Wells said:
Suspension Techniques I thought was a reseller, not a manufacturer, and if that is the case, there are probably better springs out there.

Why is that? Just curious.

Browndog said:
Why is that? Just curious.
--------------------------oops, why is what? That I believe that there might be better springs out there? At one time a while back, everybody ran the GS springs, and maybe GS bought their springs from them way back when.
Most spring resellers will not tell you who makes their springs, they would like for you to assume that they make their own springs. If you do a search on this board and the other 2 that I noted, you might arrive at somed pretty interesting info. This has been debated before. Lately there has been several complaints, or observations, if you will regarding the height of the car after replacing stock spring with Eibachs. I do believe that eibach is a European company and that they make their own springs. Almost everybody else buys from somebody else. Very few manufacturers, lots of resellers. This is why everybody offers a 1" lower spring set, and very few places offer a stock height spring set. Just an assumption on my part, though.

Oh, I know that only a few manufacturers are winding their own springs. With that reasoning, shouldn't most of the springs be the same and therefore of equal qaulity? And shouldn't the resellers springs be the same as the original manufacturers home branded springs? I've checked and all the various spring retailers (ie. Hotchkis, Intrax, Eibach, ST, Spring Tech, Moog, Edelbrock, Bell Tech, etc.) list the same manufacturing processes. It also seems that a rather large number of people are unhappy with the handling, regardless of ride quality, of their car after installing drop springs. I think that is due to the fact that a "universal" spring is used for the G-Body drop springs.

With that being said, which springs do you recommend?

Browndog said:
Excellent, thanks :)
I've made my choice. If i'm not happy with it.....i'll change springs.
The only company that I have found that lists more than the typical .8" to 1" drop is Intrax. However, it doesn't seem that anybody has tried them yet.
----------------------------------
Do you mean more choices, or do you mean more than a 1" drop?
Intrax does a lot of imports.
Suspension Techniques does a lot of imports.
Global West sell stock height springs, I believe. Wouldn't you think that most people would want stock height springs? and if so, why does everybody sell lowering kits only?

Wells said:
Do you mean more choices, or do you mean more than a 1" drop?
Intrax does a lot of imports.
Suspension Techniques does a lot of imports.
Global West sell stock height springs, I believe. Wouldn't you think that most people would want stock height springs? and if so, why does everybody sell lowering kits only?

I mean more than a 1" drop.

No, I don't believe most g-body owners want stock height springs. All though I do believe that the majority Turbo Buick owners do. Everybody sells lowering kits to accommodate the SS crowd, and to a lesser degree, the TR, Cutlass, Malibu and GP owners that want to improve the handling/stance of their car. Unfortunately it seems that most drop $200+ for only slightly improved handling, at best, and a "nose-in-the-air" stance.

That's my take on the situation.

Browndog said:
I mean more than a 1" drop.
No, I don't believe most g-body owners want stock height springs. All though I do believe that the majority Turbo Buick owners do. Everybody sells lowering kits to accommodate the SS crowd, and to a lesser degree, the TR, Cutlass, Malibu and GP owners that want to improve the handling/stance of their car. Unfortunately it seems that most drop $200+ for only slightly improved handling, at best, and a "nose-in-the-air" stance.
That's my take on the situation.
------------------------------------------
You're correct, and I had not thought about it in that regard.
Hotchkis and Eibach both at one time had about a 2.5"-3" drop set of springs. I don't remember which was or is which, but for the Eibach sets 1 set was called the "pro" kit & the other one was called the "Sportsman" kit.
Did you look to see if any of these are still made?

I haven't read all of the links yet, but I started to and haven't found anybody mention if their lowered car bottoms out on the highway. Mine does it within an hour's drive of my house, whenever there is a dip in the road. However, my other GN, with stock springs, has never done it over the same stretch of road. Leads me to believe either my springs are bad, or they are aftermarket ones that aren't "non dragstrip" friendly. I do like the height of my car. Maybe I will measure the height and post again. I have the same size tires on both GN's. Anybody have the part # for stock springs?

GNRick said:
I haven't read all of the links yet, but I started to and haven't found anybody mention if their lowered car bottoms out on the highway. Mine does it within an hour's drive of my house, whenever there is a dip in the road. However, my other GN, with stock springs, has never done it over the same stretch of road. Leads me to believe either my springs are bad, or they are aftermarket ones that aren't "non dragstrip" friendly. I do like the height of my car. Maybe I will measure the height and post again. I have the same size tires on both GN's. Anybody have the part # for stock springs?
----------------------------------
Is yours a 1" lowering or more?
How are your shocks?
The fact that it does it within an hours drive sounds almost like shocks?
Springs generally don't tire out occasionally, but more constant, even without use.

I haven't determined if they are lowering springs or just maybe worn out. The push on the trunk test seems to indicate that they aren't worn out- or maybe they are and the shocks are still good. I thought shocks just keep the car from bouncing up and down too much. In other words, if there was no shock, the springs would constantly bounce up and down. The shock limits this bounce to maybe one or two bounces. But if the car bottoms out, then the springs might be at fault. The car doesn't constantly bounce up and down, so that is why I think the shocks are good. I think I will buy stock springs for the rear and see if it improves. Labor is easy and they shouldn't be too expensive. Good plan?

GNRick said:
I'm thinking of just contacting the dealer and getting the stock springs. At least it won't bottom out on the highway. Seems like this is one of those areas where you get either performance or reliability. Can't have it both ways. :mad:

Stock/OEM springs are discontinued and no longer available. At one time I had a link to a company that made the OEM springs for GM but they must have moved or changed names or something.

Here is a list of the most popular part numbers for springs on a TR. You need to check the codes on your SPID label to see what your car came with. Sorry I dont have any spring rates listed for these. The codes on your SPID label are a 3 character code. The first number is the location on the car and the second and third are your spring code. The codes starting with the number 6=left front 7=right front 8=left rear 9=right rear.

Front spring codes:
YX-14080054
YW-14080053
YU-14080052
YT-14080051
YS-14080050
Rear spring codes:
SJ-485726
PZ-477512
HP-477511

Many times the codes were different between the left and right sides. You may even still have the ID tags on your springs and those codes and part numbers should match what is on your SPID label.

Back