You can type here any text you want

Anyone else have this problem?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
I've been chasing an oil leak since the new motor and have narrowed it down to the oil pump cover gasket. I pulled it apart and replaced it with a new GM gasket and went out for a WOT run to see if it leaked....hell yea it leaked, just as freak'n bad!! The only 2 things I changed when I built this motor was changing over to a Wix filter from an AC Delco and blocking the oil bypass with the old dime and JB Weld trick. Blocking the bypass I noticed a significant increase on oil pressure over all rpm areas. Has anyone else that blocked the bypass had oil leak problems...specifically in the oil pump cover area? I'm thinking that the increase in oil pressure at WOT is creating enough extra pressure to leak past the gasket...doesn't leak a drop at idle or in the mid rpm area :confused: Opinions?

I've had the sending unit leak once the oil got hot. And that kind of leak migrates back to the front of the timing cover.

I also had an aftermarket timing cover with a porosity issue that would seep when the oil got hot.. that one really pizzzzed me offf when I saw where the oil drip was from.

So to answer your question.. you have a leak.. but not due to bypassing the oil.

What's strange is I also thought the sending unit was leaking. I replaced the unit and still had the leak. The odd part is the sending unit and the area all around it is bone dry...it's everything south of the sending unit that's soaked with oil??? You'd have to see what I'm talking about, but the oil that's fresh and dripping is all in and/or around the area of the pump seal. I'm done with the BS...I'm pulling the pump apart tonight, drilling a relief hole, putting in a new gasket and we'll see what happens. PITA job, but I HATE leaks!!

don't want to sound stupid BUT you do have the right gasket right :confused:

Grumpy said:
don't want to sound stupid BUT you do have the right gasket right :confused:

Gasket....what gasket? I don't need no stink'n gasket!

Yes it was the correct gasket...straight from GM. Anyhow, the leak is fixed :biggrin: I yanked the unit apart, cleaned both surfaces real good, took out the bypass plug, slapped it back together with a new Felpro gasket and AC Delco filter...no leaky....bone dry....thank God! I ran a 1/2 tank of alky through it making WOT highway passes and not 1 drop of oil...I'm very happy. Now I have to move onto the other projects.

Back