Anyone else running a Turbonetics Stage 4?

turbonatr

More Cubes!
Curious if anyone else on the board is running this older Turbonetics turbo. This turbo was on my GN originally when I bought it and now sits under the hood of my T. I made the swap when the T70 went in the GN. As much as I would like to "upgrade", I really can't find a reason to. It spools great (.82a/r and 9" converter) and pulls like crazy. I ran it at 28psi on race gas and a Job Spetter tune in the GN before I went with the T70 and went WELL in the 11s with it. I have been beating the crap out of this thing for over 7 years now I think. It never misses a beat.

From what I understand, the Stage 4 came about as a custom turbo for a GN owning doctor in FL. The turbo became an instant hit and Turbonetics made it a regular in their product line-up.

I got one with mine as well! Nobody seems to know much about them. Mine's a .63 a/r, however...maybe our turbo's are distant relatives. I've asked questions in the past about it, but haven't gotten much help.

I'll keep an eye on this thread...hopefully someone who know's what's up will chime in.

Turbo Tommy, your just a hop, skip and a jump away from Turbonetics. Why don't you just swing by and talk to them about it or give them a call: 805.581.0333

IIRC, the Stage for will support in the neighborhood of 500+hp. It not a turbo to be sneezed at for sure! With the 9" converter, the .82a/r turbine housing spools very well. It really makes a great street strip turbo.

Originally posted by bad_turbo
Turbo Tommy, your just a hop, skip and a jump away from Turbonetics. Why don't you just swing by and talk to them about it or give them a call: 805.581.0333

Yep, that's the plan; right now, I don't have it in my car and I was thinking of changing the turbine wheel and housing to the .82 and while I'm at it I might change the compressor...I have no idea what would work out best. I'm not sure the turbonetics guys in Moorpark would know better than guys around here. They may have engineers, but you guys have more practical knowlege -- and some of you are also engineers ;)

With the way I have the turbo now, .63 A/R with the 3000stall, I get 20psi in a second. But my top end feels pretty weak, and with the 3000stall, I feel like I just skip the lowend. Am I wrong that a .82 A/R would increase overall performance?
You guys with the high A/R's -- how laggy would the boost be on the street?

I have the Stage 4 with .82a/r and a 9" converter. The car is VERY responsive. There is no waiting for boost with this turbo and converter combo. The car pulls strong from the bottom all the way through the traps. The bigger .82a/r makes all the difference in the world. On the street, there is no more lag than with a stock turbo, in my application. The car actually responds quicker and FAR stronger.