Anyone ever get busted for NOT having a Cat ?

I live in Colorado and right now the only two places in the state that require emissions testing is here in Colorado Springs where I live and in the capital city of Denver, but they are supposed to do away with emissions testing completly by the end of this year. I currently run a gutted cat on my car with no mufflers at all with stock style duals out the back, and it isnt even all that loud. I did have an undercover car pull up next to me at a light today though and all of a sudden when I went to start up at the light I noticed his window magiacally went down just as I started up and he just stayed right about even with where my exhaust exits on the passenger side. I am sure he was trying to see if I was too loud. I just slowly idled along and turned off as soon as I could.

xrunner123 said:
Sorry to jump in.. but with the NJ collector inspection sticker you don't need a cat?

all you need is to drive less than 3000 miles per year and be insured with under a collector insurance policy.
most collector insurance providers want you have to have a second vehicle for daily use , require the driver to be over 25 and a clean driving record and not use the car for work,school or shopping. most ins companies will want pictures and the car should be in excellent shape to get a policy .
besides the collector insurance is the way to go , about 240 a year per car and its fully insured at agreed value , not book like your regular insurance policy , for the 86 my agreed value is 17k and for an 87 its 20k with no appraisal needed unless i want higher covereage.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/cleanair/exempt_inspection.html

go into any DMV and ask for the collector exempt form , fill it out present your ins card and pay the fee , they will issue you a voucher that looks like a registration card

i drove my 87 in to state inspection as is ,closed loop turbotweak chip (no egr) , testpipe and all on wornout MT et streets (they looked like slicks) ,they shouldnt open your hood or even look under car , you dont go through reg inspect lanes , all they inspect and can inspect is that you have the insurance card , collector exempt voucher and that odometer works which means they record the mileage then you drive it around and come back and show them it went up at least 1 mile over what they recorded . they did ask to see the the door sticker for vehicle weight but told me if it wasnt there no big deal they would fill something in.

my 86 is registered the same way , highly modified car went through state inspection with test pipe w/cutout , tint on all but windsheild , roll bar and 5point harness

it costs $25 for the sticker over your regular yearly registration and then 10 upon renewal . and you keep your current plates

Matteson IL, They also got my buddy in front of me with a bad ass camaro (10.86 on motor 9.70 on spray) maybe that threw a red flag