Anyone Have A Muffler In Cat. Location That Works?

salvageV6

Daily Driver
Has anyone put a muffler in the cat. location that works okay especially in reducing drone?

I've read a few threads that say it doesn't and can't work. :(

My ATR crossflow muffler has shifted it's innards out back and drones terribly like a single shot system and resonates inside the car at various rpms. :eek::rolleyes:

The borla muffler 12" body and 17" length will fit but at about $200 for the buildup.

It's probably worth looking at a new exhaust system until a 3" crossflow muffler can be had that fits the old ATR system. Don't really want to cut the main pipe and stick the muffler behind the rear seat area....

I put my random tech. cat. in the car and it did help a little...

Any opinions would be appreciated.

PS: Thanks to the Town of Newington, CT roadbuilding crew and their 50 mph speedbumps... :asshat:

I would try one not from a performance arena. Performance to me typically ends up louder product. Borla has good rep though.

I have an Moroso spiral flow 3'' in/out in the stock cat location. It's been on there at least 10 years, it's just the cheep one they sell. I use an Hooker aerochamber muffler also to complete the single exhaust.

Thanks for the input.

I think I will go under the car again and see what would fit in the 3" pipe at the rear seat area for a muffler.

Since there's no 3" crossflow replacement for the ATR I guess it won't matter much if I cut the main pipe up to make something work there.

Cheaper and easier to fab. 3" in and out no cat. flange... if there's room inline....

ATR used to sell a sweet little direct fit muffler that went in the cat location. It took all the drone out of the cross flow system. I couldn't stand driving the thing until I added that little muffler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk