Anyone have problems with flushing a tranny

G

Got Boost?

Hey guys, I was just wanting everyone opinion on the fluid shops that do the tranny flush running like 12 quarts through the system to clear out the tranny cooler, converter, etc...

Anyone have problems with their tranny afterwards? Is it worth the money? Is the wives tale that if the tranny fluid has been in there a long amount of time (83k) that you shouldn't change it true? Does Valvoline tranny fluid work well, I know it's not the best but that is all they carry.

I know it sounds stupid but, I'm not going up there until tomarrow and just thought I would ask,

Thanks

My buddy who runs a Delco Garage has used a snap on flusher for a couple/few years now. Can't remember when he bought it. It is a good way to make some money in the shop. Not enough to get rich off of by any means. It does do a good job though of getting all the fluid out of the tranny. A good shop will compare the two hoses and verify the colors are balanced before pulling the machine. If he does a real high mileage car, especially Chryslers, he will be very specific that there could be problems after the flush. But, the tranny was going to need to be torn apart if nothing was tried to begin with. If there is nothing wrong with your tranny now and you would like to make sure you have totally clean fresh fluid I would do it. I have him do my vehicles. We flushed a 4Runner a year and a half ago that we went in together on financially with a blown up motor. That thing had 225,000 on the clock and I don't think ever had the tranny flushed. The vehicle is still going strong. We sold it to someone we knew.
John also always changes the filter and cleans the pan when he does a flush I jsut can't remeber if he does it before or after the flush. Probably before.

I work at a Ford Dealer that has a trans flushing machine ( called a " T-Tech".) We charge about $120 and I believe it is worth it. I don't believe it flushes 100% of the tranny fluid, due to the nature of the hydraulic circuits in a trans, however it replaces and mixes clean fluid, at least 80%. Which is still an excellent way to flush the trans, vs. 4 to 6 qts. when dropping the pan. As far as mileage, on higher mileage vehicles, the seals inside the trans can sort of "harden," ( due to heat and time) so when you introduce new trans fluid, the new fluid sort of "attacks" the seals and that is where you run into trans problems. Also something to consider is the amount of grime, or residue buildup sitting or sticking to something in the trans ( however miniscule the amount.) Because of the detergent in the fluid, it can dislodge the grime/buildup which can make its way to a passage, etc. As with anything invloving auto repairs, there runs a risk, but in your case, it is probably extremely minimal. For a little while, a fix for converter shudder in some fords was simply flushing the fluid. I also was asked by a neighbor if there was something he could do for his ailing tranny ( with non-burnt fluid) of which I recommended a cheap repair of flushing his trans, it worked great for him and never looked back. In closing, I will mimic the post above in saying that if your tranny is in good working order and non-burnt fluid, a " complete tranny flush isn't a bad idea. ;)

Its been talk'd about before that oils contain an additive the keeps seals soft and pliable insted of drying them out. That was the main reason the Mobile1 didnt do to well in the early years, it didnt have the additive , and shortly after an oil change , seals would begin to leak. I have, upon ocasion, added brake fluid to a tranny in hopeing to prolong the seals. I dont really know if this did any good or not. Just wondering if anyones did any research to the additives that are in tranny fluids vrs motor oil. Should we be putting in Restore tranny additive ??

I just went Bruces technique after getting one of his Killer Street trans. Big can of Brakleen and some compressed air. Just keept doing it untill everything came out clear. Seemed to work fine and very cost effective.