You can type here any text you want

Anyone help me select roller cam?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

pmoore4321

I have decided to go with a roller cam after reading the horror stories of wiped lobes on flat tappets. I will be using Champion iron heads with the following "bolt-ons" that were on the car when I got it. The only mods to the shortblock will be TRW forged pistons.

I guess I am going to go with the Full Throttle cam package. Which profile would be best? I know the TC is a big factor, but I don't know what the stall is on the PTC 10"? This car will see very little, if any, track time and I just want to cruise on weekends. Thanks for any help. Also, anyone have any horsepower numbers on a setup like this? I come from an SBC background and can't wrap my head around the V6 numbers.

I want to get this engine back in the car before the Texas summer kicks in!

choices:

206/210 .516/.516 110 L/S
Good stock replacement and driver cam 2800 stall

210/215 .516/.516 110 L/S
Hot street, Most popular unit good manners and power 3000+stall

setup:

Champion irons
Precision T49 Turbo
Applied Technologies Cold air intake
Applied Technologies Valve cover breather kit
Terry Houston 3" downpipe
2 1/2" Stainless Pitbull exhaust
Precision Turbo Stretched Intercooler (13"x17.25"x3")
Red Armstrong XP Fuel Pump
42# fuel injectors 621031 (set of 6)
Kirban Billet Adjustable Fuel regulator 6547
TurboTweak chip
Red Armstrong Voltage Booster
RaceTronix fuel pump wiring harness w/body ground kit
PTC torque converter 10" 2800
Scanmaster 2.1
Aluminum radiator
Ajustable wastegate actuator

Bilstein B46-0929-HO rear shocks (pair)
Bilstein BE3-D150-HO front shocks (pair)
Air Lift rear air springs
Kirban under hood brace kit 6744
Kirban rear seat frame brace 1586
Kirban front frame braces 6564
Hotchkis 1201 upper control arms (pair)
Hotchkis 1301 lower control arms (pair)

Ok Im going to catch flack for this. I used to think smaller-medium was the way to go. I recently installed a 215/220 from FT in my dads Silver T and couldn't be happier. It is perfectly driveable and is actually quieter than my 210/215 in my own car. I have no data to back up any performance difference and I don't really think anybody here does, but honestly even a 215/220 is a small cam compared to a lot. As long as your car can use the rpms it will run well. Between the two you listed I would go with the 210/215.

You certainly won't catch any flack from me. Like I said, these turbo Buicks are new to me. I really don't want to sacrifice driveablity, but I want to match the cam to the converter that's in the car. What does the 10" PTC stall? I checked the PTC website and I could not find any numbers.

I don't even know what a radical cam sounds like in a GN?

What's in your engine? Cams operate within a specific RPM range and you may want to select the one that keeps the RPMs below 56-5700 RPM. You really don't need a big cam with these cars, want more power, turn up the boost and add better fuel. It's almost just that simple. Mine runs mid 11's with a stock cam.

I swear I am tempted just to throw the stock cam back in the car and call it a day. I would save a ton of money.

210/215 was what I had zeroed in on. I think I am going to pull the trigger on it tomorrow. Are there going to be any clearance issues running the Champion heads? The Champion site states the iron heads are good for .500 lift and the cam is .516 lift.

...and I thought boats were money pits!

My engine block has been at the machine shop going on two weeks. The "machinist" told me a cog in his honing machine broke and he is waiting on the part. If he is not done by day after tomorrow I am going to go somewhere else. In the meantime I have been detailing and mocking up the sub-assemblies.

If I don't get this thing back together in a couple of weeks it is going to be a sauna in the garage.

I used gloss paint on the front cover, but I am going to re-shoot in semi-gloss. New seal, Earl Brown mods, new bolts, etc.

gnfrontcover.jpg

I used high temp, aluminum color paint on the manifold and valve covers. They turned out really good. I even polished the brass sensors with Brasso. By the way, Brasso does wonders for a billet FPR.

gnmanifold.jpg

i would run a 206/206@112 with .500 or less lift and 26918 comp springs

Funny you should suggest that because I have a Comp Cam 206/206 flat tappet kit right here. I was going to return it because I am afraid of wiping it. What do you think?

Yeah, this flat tappet is actually a 212/212 after looking at it. After searching the word "wiped" on this board, I got cold feet about using anything but a roller.
How much gain would I obtain going anything above 206/206 with my setup? I am guessing not much, if any. I might just take your suggestion and go the conservative route.

Searching the word "leak" on this board is scary also. :smile:

210/215 is a great cam. My combo use to be very close to what you have and I was able to run very low 7's easy in the 1/8 mile without leaning on it too hard.

I guess the consensus is 206/206. Bison and Grumpy have almost 17,000 posts between them so I am guessing they have put a wrench to a Buick once or twice. :)

Thanks for everyones help. I have a some questions on note pad that I would like some advice on when I get to assembly.

I understand that you have decided to go with FT and that is great. I run Jack Cottons 212 combo and absolutely love it. It is very streetable and opens up like no tomorrow. I have hit 10.81 at 24#s with my little ole PT54 and have a good amount more to go now with a good operating wastegate.

Not knocking the 206 package, but think about growing into something a little more in the future.

Just my opinion...

Mike

Back