You can type here any text you want

Anyone install rear discs on our cars and retain stock t-type wheels?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Quick6'n'-K.C.

wana steal it? meet mr9mm
Staff member
I have upgraded front brakes (Drilled and slotted napa fronts with ceramic pads) made a big difference stopping this car, but could be alot better.

My rear brakes are newer with bigger shoes, so it stops decent.

I was wondering if anyone has installed rear discs on our cars and didnt have to upgrade to 16 inch wheels...

Anyone know of a rear disc setup that the t-type wheel will fit and still retain a emergency brake?
Im afraid if i upgrade the fronts more, the 235s up front wont hold, if i upgrade the back, the car should stop shorter.
The car sees alot of highway driving, i hope to upgrade the brakes so i dont plow into anyone.

Thanks
BW

I haven't done it yet, but I'm planning on going with the rear disc conversion kit from Stainless Steel Brakes for mine. They say most 15" wheels should fit. Hope this helps :)

Damn you are QUICK!!!

Thats what i need alright, but i was hoping to use parts off of different cars to put on mine so its cheaper!

I remember years ago about using a 79 TA setup, but its been soo long i have forgotten.

You get any new tires yet?

BW

Well, I don't own a GN for the halibut lol. I haven't heard anything about using GM parts though. And no, still haven't gotten the tires yet. Gotta wait till I have the money lol.

The 79 T/A rear discs do work with a 15" rim. I have no clue if they could be adapted to a G body. They are also the same discs as the Caddy Seville. I can't tell you how they would work on a Gbody but on the T/A they weren't that impressive. Most people that I have talked to about them said they sucked. I kind of agree. Brake feel was not easy to modulate. I don't know if any other GM cars could be a donor. I believe the early/mid 80s Vettes used 15" rims still, their brakes I'm sure would function better than the T/As. Maybe they could be adapted.

I know on a 89 TTA, you can use 15 inch wheels if you grind the fins off the caliper to make them fit.(weld prostar 5 inch backspace)

What i dont know is how to adapt any rear disc brake to allow the stock t-type wheels to fit, maybe if someone here knows some tricks...
Perhaps a 3rd gen setup on our cars fit the t-wheels?

79 seems ok, 89 seems even better,99 welll...

Anyone find out what fits the rears of our cars and is at least a upgrade over bigger shoes with drums?
BW

Pronto said:
The 79 T/A rear discs do work with a 15" rim. I have no clue if they could be adapted to a G body. They are also the same discs as the Caddy Seville. I can't tell you how they would work on a Gbody but on the T/A they weren't that impressive. Most people that I have talked to about them said they sucked. I kind of agree. Brake feel was not easy to modulate. I don't know if any other GM cars could be a donor. I believe the early/mid 80s Vettes used 15" rims still, their brakes I'm sure would function better than the T/As. Maybe they could be adapted.

I think i read something about some ford products on the back of our cars, i really wish someone would come out with a book

BW

didn't some of the mid to late 80's Rivs have rear disc?

oddfire6 said:
i thought one of the earlier cadillac cars had disc on the rear...?
Late 70's Seville, same as the T/As.

Brakes

The caddys and T/A are different the caddy brakes will work and retain stock wheels.They also have e brakes in the caliper

In our shop we are installing rear brakes from a 2000 S-10 which features a rotor with an integrated rotor hat acting as a drum for the E-brake shoe. We plan to make our own cables to tie in with the stock G-body adjustment. The bracket that the caliper bolts to bolts right up to the stock axle flange and the rotor slips over the studs. We should have it ready to go in about a month or so. I'll post results when we test drive the car. As for now, the digital camera is working overtime to illustrate the steps. lol -Jabin

Brakes

I couldn't get the catalog to work.I have 11 sets of these seville brakes in my basement and all of the parts houses I have asked say the T/A and seville take a different caliper.As a matter of fact there are 2 different calipers for the Seville.One is bigger than the other,the big one takes the same pads as the front of any 70's GM car.The other one takes a pad that is made only for the Seville.I had to go to the dealer to figure that one out.All parts places said they all take the same pad but they don't.If you are going to use these brakes you need to get the calipers from the junkyard.You will need many parts from them that don't come with rebuilt calipers.

www.scarebird.com

site says that the conversion will work with all over the counter stock GM parts from local parts stores- wonder if anyone on the board has used this setup with any success- :confused:

HTH's- :)

Good Morning. We thought we better show how our stuff works so there are no misunderstandings! We use 1979 through 85 Cadillac Eldorado rear calipers and rotors. It works well, and bolts up to the stock 3 bolt housing flange. The rotors are 10-1/2" in diameter, so not only will they tuck inside 15" rims, they will fit inside 14" also- my 83 Berlinetta has them and they work fine.

assembly~inboard.JPG

The only non-bolt up work concerns the axle flange: the outer diameter needs to be trimmed down about 1/8" to fit inside the rotor, and new, longer studs must be installed. Also, custom e-brake cables are needed, the cables run around $65.

82-92~end~flange~with~turned~axle.JPG

We are also working on a mongo setup for a 87 GN, using C5 equipment.

Attachments

• BER single.jpg
    BER single.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 220
Back