Anyone interested in doing LS1 front brakes? I may be able to help.

jdpolzin

For those interested in doing the LS1 front brake swap and are having a hard time getting ahold of someone to buy a set of machined hubs, I am going to offer a little of my time since I just went through this myself. I am doing the swap on my Monte Carlo and couldn't get ahold of the guy that makes these rotors into hubs. I went to a friend of mine that is a machinist and we were able to make a set for me. He is willing to do a run of 10 sets, but will only do 10 sets and will only run them all at once because of the time to set his mill up. FLYNBYE sells these for $150. I am willing to do the leg work, buy 20 new rotors from Oreilly's, order 100 extended studs, have my buddy machine them, and then ship them if I can get 10 people to commit. I'm not going to profit here, any profit will be my buddies for his time doing the machine work. The price will be the same as FLYNBYE, the wait time will be short once I have ten people lined up. No warranties, no BS, just me offering my time for free, and my buddy making a small margin of profit for his time. Let me know if anyone is interested. ----Jeremy

what else is needed for this swap? I have done this on a 01 GTP but only seen the S10 brake swaps done on g-bodys

I just did mine and had to wait 3 weeks for my Hubs from FlyNBye after calling/emailing several times, very painful process.

what else is needed for this swap? I have done this on a 01 GTP but only seen the S10 brake swaps done on g-bodys

You need a bracket that mounts on to your spindle.

You need to cut out the ears on the spindle and tap 2 mounting holes on the spindle.

You will use LS1 Rotors/Calipers/Abutment Bracket/Brake Pads/Banjo Bolts.

the hubs that are sold by a few different companies aren't just cheap rotors that were machined down.. they are made from chunks of steel that are machined to final specs and are probably a lot stronger than the hubs you will make out of a set of cheap rotors..

that being said, i made a set of hubs out of some stock replacement rotors when i did the LS1 brake swap on my 86 Camaro last year.. i also put some longer Dorman studs in them, modified the spindles, and made adapter brackets myself... all told, i think i had just over $400 into the swap buying everything from NAPA and i haven't had any problems in about 5000 miles of driving with a few twisty roads and hard stops thrown in..

what size rims will be able to fit after that

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

the hubs that are sold by a few different companies aren't just cheap rotors that were machined down.. they are made from chunks of steel that are machined to final specs and are probably a lot stronger than the hubs you will make out of a set of cheap rotors..

that being said, i made a set of hubs out of some stock replacement rotors when i did the LS1 brake swap on my 86 Camaro last year.. i also put some longer Dorman studs in them, modified the spindles, and made adapter brackets myself... all told, i think i had just over $400 into the swap buying everything from NAPA and i haven't had any problems in about 5000 miles of driving with a few twisty roads and hard stops thrown in..

What companies are doing this without using a stock replacement rotor?