Anyone interested in turbo Riviera engine parts?

cool 84

Got hotair?
I just picked up a complete turbo Riviera motor complete with wiring harness, everything, even AC compressor. I'm most likely putting the longblock in my car since my engine builder has had my motor for over a year and shows no sign of completion. Everything else is for sale. Not sure if there is any demand for these parts. One interesting thing is the turbo uses a .82 housing. I didn't know that so it should be worth a little over a stock Gn turbo. Oilpan is for sale too since I can't use it.

Too bad, the last thing I need is more Riviera parts! Hey do you know if it is from an 84 or an 85? If it is 84 than someone might pay you decent money for the final drive as it has the desirable 3.36 ratio compared to the 85's 3.15. HTH Eric Fisher

Originally posted by Turbo Riviera
how much for the .82 housing? I'd be interested at the right price.
Cheap! I have no use for it but I would rather get rid of the whole turbo. I'll sell it for whatever a core goes for or maybe less. One problem though, my dad's PTE62 failed yet again yesterday so the turbo is going on his daily driver for about a week just until the new turbo arrives.

May be interested in complete turbo but can't commit till I find out if the same can be bolted/ adapted to 86-7 passenger side header, getting this week. may also be interested in the driver side header if it isn't compeletly cracked, also the crossover pipe, maybe even the U shaped tube that exits the turbo. Will watch this post and let you know.

It can be bolted to the 86 header, in fact it will in a day or so. Both headers are perfect, the passenger side looks like it's been repaired before. The only thing I can't give up is the adaptor that goes between the uppipe and turbo but it sounds like you won't need that anyway.

It can be bolted, but the angle of the exhaust housing to x-over flange is different on the Riviera than the GN. Take a close look.

Cool 84, you are installing turbo on an 86-7 GN? That is what I am trying to find out, already have one 85 Riviera turbo that I am going to see how close the fit is to an 86-7 passenger header, picking up 86-7 headers and crossover this thurs. and will test fit. Currently buying parts needed to convert 85 turbo Riv engine to 86-7 spec, retaining the Riv TH325 4L trans, diff and axles, all being installed to a mid engine project.

First goal is to get engine to 86-7 spec. Second goal is to use twin turbos using mostly factory parts. Because there is plenty of room in engine bay the plan is to use 86-7 passenger headers on both heads, two 86-7 turbo brackets, one in stock location, other on rear of other head ( heads are symmetrical), mount hot air 390 CFM turbo to each, then finish with necessary air filter, MAF, T body, and plenum plumbing.

Long story short, need to find out if the hot air turbo can be mounted on an 86-7 without too much of a headache, could just go with two 86-7 turbos but at 550 CFM each may be too much, also concerned if the larger will even spool properly off three cylinders.

If you have any insight to this let me know, I will know for sure this week, thanks.

Scott, like that gray Riv, is it still running good?

550cfm? Where did you find that? I know both you and me were asking what the cfm was.

Originally posted by blueta
550cfm? Where did you find that? I know both you and me were asking what the cfm was.

Started a short lived thread on turbos and related forum, responses were like 535 and 575CFM, also some auctions on ebay for stock 86-7 turbos claimed 550cfm, had one other source but forgot. Also looked at search forum block and found a few more in the 550 range. Would still like to know where that number comes from, but there is consistance from everyone. The other source may have been gnttype.org.

Just like other factory spec info, would like to see specs on the turbo itself, positive confirmation.

If you still have the riviera turbo, let me know. mine is seized up. Oil all inside just means oil seal blown and bearing seized? Worth rebuilding?

Screw everything I said earlier about this motor. I pulled a couple rods and mains- perfect. Pulled the intake off- pushrod on passenger side off lifter, down in valley. Pulled the driver's side head off- perfect. Pulled passenger side valvecover, rocker shaft came out in 3 pieces, no big deal. Pulled the head and the #3 piston looks like someone took a tiny punch and chiseled the piston away about halfway around. It's obviously extended periods of detonation. The top ring is exposed in one area and the whole top of the piston looks like a million little craters and is missing a substantial amount of material.

I guess I'll have to wait until my 4.1 gets out of the machine shop. It's only been there for a year and I'm being told there is a possible problem with the bore. I'm so close to pulling a stock 3.8 out of a junkyard car, bolting the turbo stuff to it and running it easy. I have no hope of getting this thing running anytime this year.

The turbo is slightly different like said above, not much and might work with the 87 header but probably not with the hotair uppipe.

One neat thing is I found out that the plug on the front of the GN manifold is used for boost signal to the fuel pressure regulator on the Rivieras. Always wondered what that was for.

The block is standard bore so maybe I'll keep it around. This sucks, I went from thinking my car would be running in a week or two to another 6 months or more.

Originally posted by cool 84
I just picked up a complete turbo Riviera motor complete with wiring harness, everything, even AC compressor. I'm most likely putting the longblock in my car since my engine builder has had my motor for over a year and shows no sign of completion. Everything else is for sale. Not sure if there is any demand for these parts. One interesting thing is the turbo uses a .82 housing. I didn't know that so it should be worth a little over a stock Gn turbo. Oilpan is for sale too since I can't use it.

Hi Scott, Eric ,John, Blackhawk38 here,
& greetings to other poster's

I would like to aquire a 1985 20 bolt oil pan from FWD turbo Riviera.

I suppose I should make a post on the Parts wanted section.

John, you may want to talk to Vince Welling about 1987 set-up on the Riviera.

Good Luck & Regards

20 bolt FWD OIL PAN

The pan I have is a 20 bolt.

Cool84 , do you want to sell the oil pan?
Your in Calf, I see ARNOLD got it,

REGARDS< Blackhawk38

Screw everything I said earlier about this motor. I pulled a couple rods and mains- perfect. Pulled the intake off- pushrod on passenger side off lifter, down in valley. Pulled the driver's side head off- perfect. Pulled passenger side valvecover, rocker shaft came out in 3 pieces, no big deal. Pulled the head and the #3 piston looks like someone took a tiny punch and chiseled the piston away about halfway around. It's obviously extended periods of detonation. The top ring is exposed in one area and the whole top of the piston looks like a million little craters and is missing a substantial amount of material.

Sorry to hear of the above. Hope you did not run into trouble installing the Riv turbo on your dads car, unfortunatly you probably did. I picked up 87 headers Thurs and installed to 85 engine on stand, well the Riv turbo turbine inlet flange will bolt up to the 87 header but the 87 turbo mount bracket can not be used, the exhaust elbow on turbo also points in a way off direction.

If you didn't already sell, I am going to pass on the turbo, going with the 87, but still interested in the driver side header and crossover pipe, let me know a price, thanks.