Anyone into AR's?

Powertechn2

Guns are a hobby of mine. I have been an avid collector/builder for a while now. Here is one my my builds. This one was for me. I build a lot for buddies that have no idea wtf they are doing, just know what they want, and how much they want to spend.

IMAG1424.jpg

Billet receivers, Nor-Guard coated. Nickel Boron bcg, 3.5lb trigger. A few Ti parts including the brake.
1 in 8 twist, .223 Wylde chamber.

Still pretty naked in this pic. Added a 1-4x32 scope, and Diamondhead flip-ups.

Just one of my builds. Also have more than a few pistols, including 1911's. Most recent is a .22 TCM. Damn, that thing is accurate, and lets out a very impressive fireball. Over 2000 fps in a 5" barreled pistol.

Anyone else have any interesting builds?

That's also very impressive.

I like the grips. Walnut?

I have a Blackhawk .357, same frame. Interesting gun, not so easy on the hands. Grip is just barbaric. I can't imagine how that .45 Colt is on the hands at that velocity. Especially considering a 225gr Corbon dpx+p is about 1200 out of a 6". That's a lot heavier slug you are running, and a wadcutter no less. Typical wadcutters are about 800fps if I remember correctly.

Cowboy guns can be fun. They are at the very least impressive at the range, and very accurate. Even more so when you take into play when they were made.

Thanks. Have often thought of owning an AR, but never brought one home. Probably should before they are no longer available.

The Ruger Bisley Vaquero above is a semi-custom. The Bisley style grip frame handles recoil much better than the standard single action style grip frame. More of a straight back push instead of a rotating muzzle climb type of recoil. The grip panels are Mesquite Burl. The action was polished & tuned, cylinder throats opened up, the leading edge of the cylinder has been chamfered, the barrel forcing cone was honed, all of the Ruger warning label was removed from the barrel, taller Patridge style front site, over-sized cylinder base pin with locking set screw, bead blast stainless steel finish, think that's about it...

This was built to be a rough country field gun. The 325gr. slugs aren't as bad as you might think when kept around 1000 to 1200 fps. The larger bores don't recoil as much as the .357 Magnum. Kind of a shotgun type of thump. Packs one hell of a wallop on whatever it hits though! Shatters cinder blocks & just keeps on going.

Sweet. I never got much into sa revolvers, primarily due to the recoil. After shooting a few, and acquiring the blackhawk, and seeing how the recoil is a slightly to moderately uncomfortable backward rotation, along with how the grip just never really seemed to fit me well... I never really got into them. After reading your upgrades, maybe there is a possibility after all for my old blackhawk instead of just collecting dust.

I wanted an AR before Obama was put in first round. So I got one before the shit hit the fan almost 8 years ago... Then I got into modifying it, and figured I would just rather build my own than spend over $1800 on one store bought that still would need some changing. And yes, the rather have before you can't have kind of came into play back then, possibly more so now.

Yes, you can buy them for $650-700, or less. However, once you get into them, as I am sure you can imagine, the price really shows in quality.

Add a nice handguard, trigger, bcg, grip, stock etc... And you will easily double what you originally paid.

It became a fun (not cheap tho) hobby in Michigan winters. You can't do much outside between about November, and April... Unless you like to drive 4 hours to go snowmobiling, as snow in the L.P. sucks lately. Can't drive fun cars, can't ride the quad, but indoor ranges are open.

Usually the Ruger single action grip panels are shaped poorly. They need to be thinned toward the bottom of the grip frame where they flare out. Then you can hang on to them as the muzzle climbs.

I have an AR it is a Bushmaster lower and a Yankee upper with a bunch of Magpul attachments, some cheap optics from Bushnell. I also have a 7shot .357 Taurus and a Springfield Armory .45cal.

IMG_0314.JPG
IMG_0317.JPG
IMG_0313.JPG

25a40b8caa659d867f9d34f6eadd5a50.jpg

My Sig 516. I am looking to put a ln eotech holographic optic on it. Allows me to shoot with both eyes open since I'm left eye dominant and right handed.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

so how much would an ar cost was looking to get one before i cant.
ii

All depends what you want. If you don't mind standard handguards, and stock, can get a name brand for about $599-699. However if you decide to change the handguard, trigger etc... All that adds up and you are better off building one.

You can get an assembled lower for less than $200, then an assembled upper of decent quality with a keymod handguard for about $399. End up spending about the same as a base AR, but don't end up with useless parts sitting around.

As long as you don't get crazy and decide you want a CHF barrel, and billet receivers it doesn't get too pricey.

The SR series are decent, however some parts are not the same as a standard AR, so if you want to modify it, go with something else, like the AR-556. I don't know anyone with the AR-556, only the SR. From what I remember they were trying to install a Bravo handguard, and the barrel nut wouldn't work. I wasn't doing the work so I can not confirm.

Would you mind explaining what some of the common modifications are & why they are performed?

Thanks