Anyone own a 97+ Regal GS?

86SS86LS

It's about time to start looking for another car for my wife. I had been considering a 97-03 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, but most of the used ones that I come across have been poorly maintained, have a beatup interior, and have ricer type decals, wheels, wings, and other add-on crap.

I've started to look at the Regal GS's, they seem to be owned by the older crowd and are typically in much better shape than most of the GTP's that I've seen. I am even beginning to like the more subtle styling of the Regal GS compared to the GTP. And from what I've seen on Ebay nice used GS's with around 100K are in the $5000 range.

So does anyone on the board own one of these? They seem like the complete package for a daily driver - 28 MPG, mid 14's stock, and the comfort and ride of a Buick.

I purchased a 2000 GSE for my wife in 03. Black, silver skirting, small wing on deck lid. The only option it does not have is heated seats. It's been a good dependable car. Maintence is not too bad and there are plenty of hop ups that still leave the car very driveable. I have had to put a trans in the car (my heavy foot) and I'm currently chasing a coolant leak, but I would not hesitate to purchase another one.
John

My wife and I had a '99 supercharged GS for about 3 years. As time went on I added a 3.4" blower pulley, GY Gatorback blower belt, eliminated the large after-cat resonator and u-bend in the exhaust, and couple of other things. The car ran strong and my wife used to hunt Mustangs with it after bad days at work, as well as take our toddler to preschool. ;) One of the most benefical mods I did was swap out the wimpy front brakes for the bigger 11.9-12" (I can't remember the exact diameter) brakes found on the same vintage Camaro SSs or Caddies; after that the car stopped. I also swapped out the sway bars for the larger units from an '00 Impala Police Package, which helped flatten the car out a bit on the turns (I even left the little color inspection stickers on them for that factory look.) Finally, I added a modified OEM front strut tower brace in the trunk to tie the rear strut towers together which helped tighten up the rear end as well. We eventually outgrew the car and got a minivan.

Fellow board member 750 H.P.V6's / Neal's wife has a really nice green '99 GS; perhaps he'll chime in too.

Hope this helps---

This my wifes 98 GS, we Love it! Got 31.9 MPG going to the beach and is an awesome car to drive. We will have another one for sure! ;)

I bought an off-lease 2000 GS that was gently owned by a little old lady. :eek:

I get 28-32 mpg on long trips and the car is very comfortable. I ran a best of 14.7/94 stone stock. The Monsoon stereo kicks butt and the seat warmers are great in this weather.

I had a '99 Regal GS with all the options except heated seats. It had the typical bolt-ons and was very quick. I ended up getting rid of it though because of problems creeping up. It had 80k miles when I traded it in. The climate control was going nuts, I had 2 window motors break on me, and the trans started shifting a little high at WOT which is the first sign of one going out. There are alot of Supercharged W bodies out there dumping trannies betewwn 80 and 110K miles. Also, they depreciate like a rock. Nevertheless it was a fun car and I kinda miss it. Also be careful when modding, if you do it wrong and get good knock it is easy to chip a ringland off of a piston.

I've had my 98 since new. Was the wifes car for the first 5 yrs, now my daily driver for the last 3yrs. Very good car that has just enough power to keep most happy.
Had two problems with it that left me stranded, 1- fuel pump resistor\relay?(common), 2- ignition modual
Since mine is turning 80k soon and is starting to make some "noises" and since the kids are now bigger and easier to get in the car I will probably be upgrading to somthing a little more sporty like an 03-04' Cobra this summer if I find one I like. I will definetly miss the car and really hope my mother buys it off me to keep it in the family.
Here's a pic, I searched awhile to find an all black one. Ran 14.5 totally stock.

Attachments

• IM000074.JPG
    IM000074.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 96
NA version

I just picked up a NA 03 Regal. Leather and all the other fun stuff. The fears I had with the GS were.

1- Engine/Tranny failures because of the increased power.
2- Mileage
3- I would want to mod it so less money would go to the GN :eek:

I bought a Hunter Green '99 GS for my wife a few years ago. It's been a great car for her. So far with 75K miles on it the only think I've had to replace is one window regulator. That was pretty expensive. Over all the car is a good combo of performance and reliability. Personally I'd be a bit leary buying one with over 100K miles unless I knew the person I was buying it from and their driving habits.

Neal

I just purchased a 98 GTP for such a deal I coulnt pass up. It belonged to a lady at the station. 100k probably never reved over 3 k RPM. She had it for about 80 k miles. Only had an issue with the rear windows and the steering radio controls are all skewd.. I would have prefered the Regal, looks better but is the same thing .