You can type here any text you want

Anyone running a a comp roller 218/212

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GBGN1

stroked
Looking at this cam for my build just wanted to see how it idled,power etc?

Ive got: ctp 70 bb, V1 ,79 lbs injectors, GN1 heads, BA 3.625 crank

3200 stall....

I can get a good deal on the whole kit for the cam or aI could get a smaller cam.:biggrin:

That's what I used... 95# injs and made 840 at the crank at 24-26#.
Idle was Ok. I used Beehives at about 140# on the seat.

Thanks anyone else have any answers? maybe ill go with 212/212.I want to be able to take it to work once in awhile lol and cruise.but make great power.:biggrin:

I have a NEW 212-212 Comp cam and roller lifters for sale, if interested PM me.

I've got a 218/212 and it's a bit noisy at idle. I swapped out the lifters for Morels sometime ago, but it's still a little too noisy for me.

Did the Morels help or? I thought all the roller lifters were noise for are cars:(

I run that cam,an 1.65 T@D's..all roller cams are loud,I use 15/50 Racing Mobile 1,quites it some an doesn't break down on long trips,The Powers Horindious!! Idle's at 1150rpm,you'll need big converter,i run Art Carr 3500rpm non lock-up.If your going in the motor ,go once...heh

Enjoy!

I had a 218/212 in the last motor, I thought the idle was great. I have a 224 in my stroker now and find that the idle is still very good.

Bryan

So it wasnt a bear to drive on the street?thats good.What stall did you run??
Thanks all!!

I had an Art Carr 3400-3600 NLU at the time. MUCH happier with the PTC converter from Dusty, driving around town it acts more like a 2800 but will flash at about 3400. If you are in need of a converter do yourself a favor and call Dusty, he will spec it to your combo. The difference in drive-ability is night and day.

I had an Art Carr 3400-3600 NLU at the time. MUCH happier with the PTC converter from Dusty, driving around town it acts more like a 2800 but will flash at about 3400. If you are in need of a converter do yourself a favor and call Dusty, he will spec it to your combo. The difference in drive-ability is night and day.

Hard to believe until you try one:D All NLU's are supposed to drive like a 5000 stall;)

I'm running a 218/212 roller with Morel roller lifter and 1.65 Harland Sharp roller rockers. There is a small amount of valvetrain noise, as with most roller camshafts. Idle is great, 925-950 RPM. The car drives great on the street, even with the Vigilante converter that I'm looking to upgrade to a PTC in the future. I'm slowly getting the rest of my combination together, and anticipate making some pretty good power.

The cams that are run in these cars are not big like the NA V8 cams, so idle and driveability aren't too much of a concern. I had a 224 in my 245 stroker, drove fine. Most driveability issues are probably due to flat spots in the fuel curve. Alot of lag and sluggishness can be fixed with tuning the part throttle/spool up fueling, where most only worry about WOT. The answer isn't a higher stall converter all of the time.

As far as noise goes, you are trying to make more power. You will need a cam with faster ramps and higher spring pressures. The roller lifters and rockers make noise themselves. If everything is adjusted properly and it still makes noise, it is the nature of the beast and the price you pay to play.

Mine was..

So it wasnt a bear to drive on the street?thats good.What stall did you run??
Thanks all!!

a street car, NOT a race car. I drove it frequently....Lots of Moosetangs, a few Vipers, a Vette or 2, all saw the results of wanting to "play" w/ an old noisy Buick v-sicks...:D
Stock gears, an "experimental" TCI converter that was 1000 rpm too tite, and it still ran 9's...The tite verter helped to run over 141...

Thanks for all the respondes!!!!I like the sound of that cam lol in the vid.

I know I'm a little late but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I put a comp 218/212 in and I love it. Idles great at 800 rpm. Does have a little chop but not much. Pulls great vacuum. Good spool and lots of power. It's a little more cam than I needed but i got a good deal and was on a budget when I put it together. I have ported irons, a 3200 converter, and a TE61. Also, I spent a bunch of time cleaning the lifters out so all the plungers moved freely before I put it together and measured/installed pushrods that gave me the correct preload and my lifters are NOT noisy.

No never late.Thanks for your input.I think im going to go with it.
Thanks

How would it compare to the 210/215? What would you have to rev it to?

Back