Anyone use dryfilm lubes or ceramic coatings ??

gnsrule

Has anyone used any ceramic coatings or dry film lubes ?? I was looking at some s2 stuff that had ceramic on the pistons and didnt show any heat discoloration on the bottom side. That looked good, but he also used it on the bearings which sounds like a good idea but they way this was comeing off, i question the usefullness. He didnt dryfilm the skirts, but ive never heard anything negative about it.

The coating coming off the bearing means you can recoat the bearing w/little worry, usally only once then the question of crush comes in. Back in the late 80s the engine (a fully coated motor) used by Rusty Wallace (NASCAR GUY), won the championship with a engine that made several races and was only inspected to insure that there were no developing problems. When the season ended the internals were measured and all parts could have continued on. If I were building a hot rod would I consider coatings? YOU BET. Who would do the work? I partial to the guys at Calico in Denver, NC. They have been in business for years and if Hendricks likes them, its good enough for me.

By the way, the builder of the Wallace engine, Harold M. Elliot (NASCAR ENGINE
BUILDER OF THE YEAR) has a coating shop just down the road from the Calico people.

Plenty of guys use coatings... I've had stuff coated at Polydyn here in Houston. Main and rod bearings and piston skirts got dry film lubed, piston tops got thermal barriers, turbine housing got a thermal barrier. They do dry film lube for oil pump gears and housings, they've got oil shedding coatings good for high rpm engines, etc...

Mike Kurtz had a bunch of stuff coated there for the engine in his Limited, Conley's has used them too. I asked LC about it, he said the piston coatings helped durability in Tweaked. Can't say if the gains are worth the $$$ or not, but if done correctly I think it is worthwhile. Not sure how much I'd trust the home applied stuff for anything going inside the engine though.

John

My Super Stock buddy who campaigns an 8-sec., n/a Stage 2-powered 'Vette turned me on to Polydyn.

He uses their coatings on his bearings, pistons, etc. I have the dry film lubricant on my rod bearings and Lunati cam. I did that after repairs for a wiped lobe. Been working great for over 75,000 miles.

We also use the dry film lubricant on our high-speed Powerglide pump gears at TCI. They do work! :cool:

Question for anyone,

Is it possible to purchase dry film coatings(for my main and rod bearings) and remove the bearings, label them, coat them, and then reinstall them like they are? or do i need to do machine work and all the crap. i would like to coat my bearings with some stuff for protection and added strength, make my engine last as long as possible, heck ill even coat my pistons and reassemble the motor if you think its a good idea. ive torn into it and reassembled it before, ill do it again. Would this really help out? Especially the bearings, and where do i get the coatings? thanks

If you like quality work and service on a personal one on one level, then I have a place for you.

http://www.thermaltechcoatings.com/

Sevral TR owners have used them. It is a great shop if you are particular and want things done just a certain way. I did a couple of oil pans with the second drain on the outside. I then had Thermal Tech gloss powder coat the outside and oil rejection film the inside. The pans looked great and the inside coating made oil slide like cooking oil on hot teflon. It was really slick.

Honest quality work for a fair price.

hey I know that place..:)

my buddy's had about every unboltable piece of his car coated there including the tranny of his I have in my car now

good work just make sure you explain exactly what you want done clearly its hard to change something once its done.

coating

I have used coating for years now. I use Tech Line Coating out of Texas. They have adds in lots of Hot Rod books. They sell the coating --you apply. On some parts, such as valve springs, which I feel I can/t prep properly, I use Calico Coating in NC. They are very reasonable and fast. As for bearing clearance, you will pick up .0005 with coating when applied correctly. I use a detail or (jamb ) spray gun dor all spraying. It is water soluible. Yes it does work!!!! After wiping several flat tappet cams over the years, I sent one to Calico along with the springs, 4 years and as far as I know still going ( I sold the short block last winter)

Calico

Anyone have there phone#. I have been thinking of putting a bigger cam in my car when i do the timing chain but don't want the problems of wiping a lobe. I would like some insurance:) thanks Bob