You can type here any text you want

Anyone using 17"+ wheels at the strip?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rafs-T-Type

Not so Senior Member
If so are they hooking well? Do they hook well on the street? What tire you using? Do you have a side by side comparison vs a smaller wheel? TIA - Jason

I run 17's on the street. Never been to the track, but if I were going to the track I'd swap to 15's. My 17's spin real easy due to lack of sidewall. You can't air them down or you might damage the rims.

17's look sweet for a road car, but I doubt they will ever perform like an aired down 15" at the strip.

~JM~

17's look sweet for a road car, but I doubt they will ever perform like an aired down 15" at the strip.

~JM~[/QUOTE]

Really? Check some of the mustangs out....I've heard n think there's you tube vids of 8 sec passes on 17 s......check out the new cameros on 20s....it def can be done. Need the suspension working correctly it helps....

M&H 275 50 17 works well. I tried a 275 40 17 Nitto NT01 and I can't get it to launch consistently if at all, but on the street the NT01 is perfect and handles awesome.

Mustangs:
88gt-bellerose06.jpg

I just buy straight from their website or called them to talk them down a couple bucks as a repeat customer.

The other thing to keep in mind is a drag radial is easily punctured in street driving compared to a steel belted radial- that's the response I got when I told M&H I drove 900 miles to race on them and back on one weekend racing trip.

I've run drag radials 100% of the time for 8 years. Never had a flat or issue other than they suck in the rain. Some people have success with 17s but from what I see at the track, not many get it done.

Check out the pic in TurboTnZ06's sig. See that rear tire side wall wrinkle? That's what I was referring to when I said that 15's have an advantage over 17's.

~JM~

Check out the pic in TurboTnZ06's sig. See that rear tire side wall wrinkle? That's what I was referring to when I said that 15's have an advantage over 17's.

~JM~

Once my NT01's wear out I'm going back to the 275 50 17 M&H drag radial. The 275 50 17 has a tall sidewall to it since its a 28 inch tire, but it won't wrinkle like the 28x9 15 MT ET Drags I run.

just about any tire can be made to work,but you will have to do your homework to run any tire that has less sidewall and try to apply lots of power.the taller tire takes the shock easier and is much more forgiving on non prepped tracks.

i have been running drag radials since their intro with no issues at all,1.52 60fts no problems at all they are great tires.

Back