Front Coilover Conversion And Arms For Street Hooking, Ridetech, QA1, UMI and BMR Users, Lets Get In The Ring

GNVYUS 1

Winter project time, I'm been waiting to do this and here's what I got and wanna do...

Street hooking at launch 800tq+ from 3800-4400rpm and taking on these electric awd monsters in the years to come. 1/8th mile car but really I just want to regulate within 3 seconds on street meat without needing 2nd gear and 90mph.

Cars scaled, will drop about 21lbs more on the front after upgrades and Mr.Spool helped me see I've got some front reduction left to hit 52%.
I'll have 325/50/15 Street Rs
QA1 rear single coilovers, 4-6 knob settings
I have UMI adjustable upper + lowers dialed in (w Roto bushing)
Helwig rear bar on stiffest setting

Car with 275/60/15 MTSS hooked well from a roll hammer but still sucked at the launched.
I believe my current front 2" lowering springs were a bad choice many years ago but it looked cool.

What front control tubular arms give us great travel for weight transfer?

Is there really a difference in the arms or the double adjustable coil over shocks from brand to brand?

They all seem to have the same specs but curious before I drop like $2400 on all this.

Thanks

I have Global West upper & lower front A arms QA1 double adjustable coil overs . We went with coil overs to be able to adjust front ride height . I had Hotchkiss 1" lowering springs in before and couldn't get proper height for instant center location and good weight transfer .
www.globalwest.net/1984-87grandnationalturbo.html

I would look at getting a set of uppers with an adjustable mount like the ones from baseline suspension to move the instant center. Makes a big difference being able to move the instant center back behind the center of gravity of the car. Instead of rear end wanting to move up and unloading the tires at the launch, the rear end will want to move down lifting the rear and loading the tires when launching.

Thanks Nigel, that's great info, so those who know...

Which control arms do that, move the center?

Thanks Nigel, that's great info, so those who know...

Which control arms do that, move the center?
JM provided the link, there are others too. I have the baseline kit on my car, made a big difference. Compliments with the other things you are doing/have done.

These UMI are 1/2" taller ball joint, they have a bigger range of motion to help with transfer.

I talked to the UMI rep...

303233-1-b front control arms (black)
1/2" taller ball joint, can't use with 2" drop spindle (8lbs in weight savings all 4 arms, sad face, LOL was hoping for more)

Tech said to get Viking double adjustable front coilovers, they don't get any complaints about or returns on quality. I'll take that over better but with issues. (I'll take a hot and stable 9 vs a super hot and unstable 10 hahaha).

These Global West front uppers have brass bushings for the heat of the downpipe .
www.globalwest.net/cnr-88b.html
If you're not in a rush the Vikings are nice . I was going to get them but there was a 5 week wait and I needed them right away , so I paid more for the QA1's and got them in 2 days from Summit .

These UMI are 1/2" taller ball joint, they have a bigger range of motion to help with transfer.

I talked to the UMI rep...

303233-1-b front control arms (black)
1/2" taller ball joint, can't use with 2" drop spindle (8lbs in weight savings all 4 arms, sad face, LOL was hoping for more)

Tech said to get Viking double adjustable front coilovers, they don't get any complaints about or returns on quality. I'll take that over better but with issues. (I'll take a hot and stable 9 vs a super hot and unstable 10 hahaha).
Might consider these:

Upper A-arms, Adjustable, 1” Taller Ball Joints | UMI Performance I

Odd, the UMI tech didn't mention the 1" ball joint arms. Thanks for the heads up, I'll return.

Dynomans setup is about as getting it done on a 275 radial with 0 prep to the road as can be had.
990fwhp in .5 of a sec with torque out of this world on a triple bb 67mm and I was able to put that down on an un prepped street.
Scaled car with the proper setup and settings.

Double adjustable shocks is the way to go on radials.
Car has to get up on the tire but not separate too fast

Tech said to get Viking double adjustable front coilovers
👍
Call them. There are some part number choices depending on the application.
Here's a link describing the various choices.

Odd, the UMI tech didn't mention the 1" ball joint arms. Thanks for the heads up, I'll return.
See if you can communicate with Ramey Womer @ UMI.

I do not have direct experience with those UMI rod end A-arms yet.

3056-3-2.jpg

Thanks for all the tips, I'm learning and got some info fresh from Viking...

My front end currently weighs 1908lbs.
Goal is street driving, more straight vs cornering and hooking.

Viking double adjustable coil overs
Model = Berzerker $820 (with spanner wrench) $770 through retailers.
450lb Spring
Standard to 2" drop range
Part Number = A424hb-450r
2-3" drop range
Part Number = A434hb-450r
7995-102 spanner kit #

The above is a tweaked valve for the cars intended usage, I'll need to align the car and then test out the knob settings with some street time but it's clearly better than my stock arms, 2" drop springs and normal shocks.

I'm contacting UMI back as Viking said front control arms with 1" ball joint top and 1/2" ball joint lower would be ideal for what I'm doing. I'll get those part numbers and report back.

Update from UMI on the control arms with Delrin bushings and in black.....

3056-3-b (1" upper ball joint) $730
3032-1-b (1/2" lower ball joint) $860

If there's a GN vendor that sells these let me know please. Thanks for all the tips, I'll report back in May when the IL weather only sort of sucks in the 60s.

^^ When I saw that , I went and checked mine ...same here !!