You can type here any text you want

Anything to gain by switching to extender chip?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
I have a trans+ and lt1 maf. GOing to be getting a aem wb next week. I honestly can't even remember what the trans+ is capable of. Am I missing out on any features or anything by not running one of these chips? I've always had turbotweak chips and have never had any issues.

I have a trans+ and lt1 maf. GOing to be getting a aem wb next week. I honestly can't even remember what the trans+ is capable of. Am I missing out on any features or anything by not running one of these chips? I've always had turbotweak chips and have never had any issues.

I was in your exact same situation and setup. When I tuned my car at the track with TT chip, it would be rich with TC open and a little lean when TC locked and it picked up 3psi of boost. Since wot fuel is static in a TT chip, you have to compromise. With the extender chip, it reads ACTUAL airflow at wot and adjusts the fueling automatically. You still control how rich or lean the whole curve is with the translator so you can mix your alky tune in properly and keep desired AFR. Like the alky system though, if you have an unexpected rise in boost, the extender chip will automatically add fuel instead of going lean and potentially popping a HG. This is not a dig on TT chips. They are great and Eric's service is awesome. I went fast with them. But I love my extender/translator/lt1 combo for reasons stated above. Bob Bailey has amazing skills.

So what about temperature fluctuations? Seems like I always had to add fuel if the temp dropped, like daytime was 80s and night was 50s, and I'd be lean. Also wondering what parameters can all be adjusted with the trans plus and one of bobs chips.

So what about temperature fluctuations? Seems like I always had to add fuel if the temp dropped, like daytime was 80s and night was 50s, and I'd be lean. Also wondering what parameters can all be adjusted with the trans plus and one of bobs chips.

Temperature changes don't affect the Bailey chip as colder/denser air shows up as more g/sec on the MAF and the chip adds fuel automatically. The only thing that changes AFR once the tune is set is if the fuel system fluctuates ie pump going bad or voltage variance from alt. I think the trans+ adjusts timing as well as fuel. I just run the translator and the Gen II replaced the trans+ but it should still work well. There are more adjustable race/driving parameters with the Bailey chip too ie adjustable WOT TC lock, TC lock speed at cruise, lean cruise on/off, fan race mode/normal, and other things.

The ONLY thing I miss on the extender chip vs the TT chip is the adjustable 3/4 timing. You can adjust the 1/2 timing with the extender but the 3/4 timing is locked; although I have no reason to change it anyway. I will need to have it lowered with the new motor but that's an easy change for Bob and I'll probably just order another chip and keep this as a backup with the motor that's coming out of the car.

With 60's and a 3-1/2 maf would it be better to go to an Extreme and have the extra range if the boost was turned up etc...

With 60's and a 3-1/2 maf would it be better to go to an Extreme and have the extra range if the boost was turned up etc...

Regular extender reads enough to maxx out 60's, but the extreme would be needed if you went 80's or larger. Alky can take you quite a ways past 60's capabilities just on gas alone. There is much debate how far though and I haven't tried yet.

Regular extender reads enough to maxx out 60's, but the extreme would be needed if you went 80's or larger. Alky can take you quite a ways past 60's capabilities just on gas alone. There is much debate how far though and I haven't tried yet.
I don't have the harness to take adantage of the translator plus!! Should just go the GenII and get it over with...What are you looking for in your runs to tune with the alky as far as ramp in etc??

I don't have the harness to take adantage of the translator plus!! Should just go the GenII and get it over with...What are you looking for in your runs to tune with the alky as far as ramp in etc??

I don't log :eek:, so I just start with the settings Razor recommends and tune from there. I have to turn my alky on a little early, 5psi (8 recommended) as my turbo spools SUPER fast with my TC and I turned the initial down to compensate, 11 o'clock. I run the gain around 6-6.5. I tune the afr with the translator at that point once knock is under control. I run the regular translator but my Dad runs a Gen II in his TPI car and it's nice. I recommend the Gen II, but my setup is simple. You just want no knock, ever. I'm sure if I had a fast XFI or something I could fine tune the transitions better but Bob and Eric are pretty good at getting the alky fuel tables right. Thank goodness for me:)

Back