You can type here any text you want

Are 30 splines enough for 10's ???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

c&cgn

It is, what it is...
We'll see what happens with my combo over the winter, but let's say I plan on running consistent mid-high 10's. Will a 30 spline Eaton posi and the proper axles (no c-clips) be okay or am I going to have to worry about destroying the rear-end and/or snapping an axle?

I already have the Eaton and 30 spline axles in the car but I am going to have to change the axles to eliminate the c-clips if I plan to run legal 10's next year.

I just got off the phone a little while ago with someone who should know alot more than I do, and they seem to claim that I will need at least a spool and 33 spline axles etc to run 10's. Of course, they were trying to sell it to me as well :rolleyes:

Let me know what you guys think, particularly if you are already running 10's on a similar setup.

28 spline Moser's for me along with stock diff. Best of 10.50 @ 128.2. Launching off a T-brake @ 20 lbs. HTH

Stock posi and 28 spline moser's here. Axles still looked good last time I checked them, no twisting or any thing. I do have the T/A rear cover setup.

Car weighs 3640 with me in it. Best pass this year was 1.43 60 foot.

a close freind of mine runs 9.80 with an 1980 big block camaro on the spray. shorts in the 1.4 range. weighs about 3500lbs with driver stock 8.5 diff just like ours.

I recall reading an article by Mark Williams a while ago that said as soon as you've committed to more than 28 splines, you ought to go right up to 35...

Sounds like my 30 splines and Eaton posi will be fine then. I also forgot to mention I use a TA rear cover and studs as well. Thanks for all of the replies.

Scott, Rus, and Dusty:

You guys running c-clip elims? Did you get them to seal up ok? Thanks in advance.

No eliminators here either. I thought about going to a 30 spline eaton and mosers so I would never have to worry about breaking an axle but I never have done it. I have no plans of ever putting on C-clip elims.

I run new 28-spline Moser axles with all new bearings in the rear...the rear is completely stock with about 95k miles...i am still using the stock c-clips and stock size studs...of course i am not in the 10's yet but will be testing this setup next spring that's for sure!

U guys running 28s on 10 sec cars are brave! I ran Toms KA axles 28 spline units into the high 10s. Although i consider these to be much better than Moser 28s I was starting to become worried. If you break one it will tear the splines in the posi unit and or leave a piece of axle wedged in there. Yes i know there are 28 splined axles in the high 9s ;)

I went with Moser 33s ,elims and spool,certainly nothing for the street , but not that bad.

C clipped 30s will be plenty for a mid 10 sec car. Even with out eliminators. Now dont jump on me about that statement. You should always run eliminators, but whats out there right now sucks in every brand as far as fit, ease of install and leaks.There is just nothing made for us that is a true drop in. The Ford style ends are the way to go. Just my .02
:)

Originally posted by NEARING
How much your car weigh Red?

donno but I cant pick it up :D

I never got a acual weight at the end but going by my begining weight and what I took off it shoulda been in the 3400-3450 range

Thats fine and dandy that you guys can run lows 10s or faster with 28 spline axles,but i am going to go with 33spline/c clip elim/etc,so i do not have to wonder if this next pass is going to be the one that i do flips on the track and potentially kill myself because an axle broke!

You put alot of money under youre hood to make power.......why not invest some for you're own safety?;)

BigChinooks- So true. I also called Donney at Phoinex today and talked to him about a roll cage. $900 for mild steel and $1400 for chromoly (needs the car for 2 days) Maybe we can work out a deal with him to do the both of our cars, my older bro wants one in the Stang too. Let me know if your interested (doing it in mid Jan).

Originally posted by Louie L.

I went with Moser 33s ,elims and spool,certainly nothing for the street , but not that bad.

C clipped 30s will be plenty for a mid 10 sec car. Even with out eliminators. Now dont jump on me about that statement. You should always run eliminators, but whats out there right now sucks in every brand as far as fit, ease of install and leaks.There is just nothing made for us that is a true drop in. The Ford style ends are the way to go. Just my .02
:)

I'll be going with the Ford style ends to eliminate the c-clip axles, I don't want leaks on the street. Thanks again for everyones input.

Originally posted by ttypewhite
BigChinooks- So true. I also called Donney at Phoinex today and talked to him about a roll cage. $900 for mild steel and $1400 for chromoly (needs the car for 2 days) Maybe we can work out a deal with him to do the both of our cars, my older bro wants one in the Stang too. Let me know if your interested (doing it in mid Jan).

I will let you know although i may install my own cage after i finish my welding course.

Why are so many people against c-clips? When I do my rearend they will diffenately be on board. There something about loosing my tire at high speeds that just doesn't wash well with me;)

Back