You can type here any text you want

Are copper gaskets reuseable

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bttwracing86T

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE 6!
I have turbo gasket and exhaust manifold gasket both are copper are these reusable

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I reused both my manifold gaskets, turbo gasket, and downpipe gasket with no issues.

OK that's what I thought. Thanks

Sent from my XT907 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I have reused mine several times. a little bit of ultra copper silicone seals them up tight.
when they come off just wire wheel the gaskets softly and all the silicone will come off.

I bought my copper gaskets from ATR back in 1997 and have reused them several times without any problems.

I use to build motors for my kids jr dragsters and we use to heat the gasket with a torch just until it changed colour and then let cool on the bench. Wait until cool and then take a scotch brite pad and rough the surface up( green pad)

I use to build motors for my kids jr dragsters and we use to heat the gasket with a torch just until it changed colour and then let cool on the bench. Wait until cool and then take a scotch brite pad and rough the surface up( green pad)

X2
I agree, it's simple to anneal a copper gasket. Just heat it up with a torch like Kevin has indicated.
We used to do this all the time back in the lat 70's early 80's with my buddys Yamaha TZ125 road racers copper head gaskets.

Yep, copper has to be annealed to work correctly.

I'm actually amazed that people above have had good luck with them. I'm good at lapping and sealing stuff and there's no way I'd attempt copper exhaust gaskets on a GN.

That is old school on the road racers, my old TZ250 used O-rings for sealing the heads.

That is old school on the road racers, my old TZ250 used O-rings for sealing the heads.

Yeah Earl, it was along time ago......guess I am old school indeed.......can't recall exact year, but pretty sure the TZ-125 model my buddy had was air cooled & was before the water cooled models came out. I seem to be getting a bit more forgetful in my old age! LOL
We used to tag along with each other to the race tracks in 75-76 when I was racing my Z-1 in open production or my TZ-250. Seems like along time ago now.

dave

Been a while for me. I thought about going through my TZ and heading back to the track for a practice day....

....turns out my damn leathers shrunk a little just hanging in the closet :)

....turns out my damn leathers shrunk a little just hanging in the closet :)

That's a good one! I can relate to that..... ;)
I usually use " my wife shrunk them in the dryer" LOL

Back