You can type here any text you want

Are the 86 GN's lower?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

im4darush

Like stated in title. I have read somewhere that the 86 GN sits lower than the 87 due to differences in spring rate. Is this a fact?

yes they are .. had both back in the day new and the 86 was a ground hugger :cool:

Oh yeah.

My 86 T-type was definitely lower than my 87 GN.

Anyone know if the correct spring rate coils for 86 are availabe today? Manufacturer and part #'s would be great. Thanks.

i don't know about the 86 models, but my bosses 87 GN sits about an inch lower than my 84 T Type.

The OEM springs are discontinued. If you supply me with the spring codes off your SPID label than I'll give you the GM part number.I don't have any idea what the rates are though. The spring codes start with the following numbers
6=Left Front
7=Right Front
8=Left Rear
9=Right Rear
And example of the 86 GN spring codes would be 6YT,7YT,8HP,9HP
If you're lucky enough to still have the ID tape on your springs these codes should correspond to the codes on the label.

And yes the 86 and olders sat lower than the 87's. The reason was "The Man" stiffened up the 5MPH bumper standards for 1987 and the Regals had to be a whole 3/8" higher. I always get a kick out of these threads. Some of you guys make it sound like the 86's are low riders and the 87's are lifted like a 4WD truck.:rolleyes: Hey after a couple of years the springs started sagging anyway.

Edit: I've also noticed that a vast majority of 87's do not have a matched set of springs on the front so don't be to surprised if the codes have different letters. Some even have unmatched rear springs. I doubt there was much difference between the rates. Kind of like fine tuning the NVH level. Refer to one of the many "missing body mount" threads to understand why this was.

I actually have an 87 currently, but I do remember that my 86 sat lower. I ask the question because it would have been a nice option to lower the 87. Unfortunately, every place I have checked lists the same item # for 87 and 86, so my guess is you wont be getting the correct '86' springs if you go to the parts store.

Back