asc qc

GNX243

The I/P bezel of every GNX I've even seen has a small log-"Turbo 3.8 Litre" on the bezel section below the temp & gas gauges. This is missing on my car -no holes, no logo- see
http://www.members.aol.com/rzipin/pix/GNX01.jpg -
My guess is that the person at ASC (from other sites it appears that ASC developed the bezel) who drills the holes was out to lunch and the person who was responsible for installing the logo said "no holes, screw it" ( I've already found the UAW Daily News left above the headliner but that was the assembly plant). As I've owned the car since 1990, it is unlikely that the first owner found/made/purchased a replacement. The real question is what else did ASC forget or leave out? Haven't gotten to the point of removing the trans but everything else seems to be there.

I believe the spare tire has a cover. If this is correct, this also is missing but I would not be surprised if the former owner is at fault. If anyone knows where I can get a replacement, please advise.

Thanks,
GNX243

All Grand Nationals and T-Types had the 3.8 turbo badge as well and if I remember right they were just stuck on with double sided tape not drilled on.

I'm not sure about the Turbo 3.8 Liter badge on the GN, nor am I sure about the badge on the GNX but 10 or so years ago I purchased two of these badges from Kirban - see http://www.members.aol.com/rzipin/pix/GNX03.jpg -
and I now see they require three holes for the studs. They are even marked on the back with the following numbers..one is marked.25501862...1259767....MDC 1 and the other more shiny one is marked ...25502135...MDC 2. Not sure what these numbers mean but the 255XXXX seems like a GM part # (am too lazy to dig thru my parts manuals). This is why I thought the bezel had to be drilled.

GNX243

Its been a while since Ive taken my cluster trim off so I couldnt remember if they were drilled and placed on or just stuck on, but yes all Turbo Regals had them.

If i remember correctly i think they are put on with the double tape. My friend purchased a new GM bezel in like 89, it came with no holes. He did not like the look of the emblem or the location so he just bought a whole new piece and put the stock one away in the box.

You guys are tough! In view of the tape comments, I had to spend the time to go to the books. The GNX supplement only shows the bezel complete with the badge. So I had to use the 44W book. P. 10-41 shows"#18, gp. 10.254, Plate, I/P "Turbo 3.8 Litre, 25502135". You will note from my above comments/picture, this is the same number which is on the back of plate that I have and it has studs. The diagram on p. 10-40 appears to have studs but is very small and I can't be sure. While the adhesive theory fits why the plate is missing (i.e. fell off), I do not understand why GM would make two parts with the same number and one is adhesive and the other attaches with studs. So I will still have to go with the studs/hole theory until such time that I can go to a show and remove someone's bezel. Any volunteers out there? Ergo, if there are holes, this means ASC screwed up.

Plateless and still looking for the tire cover if it exists.

Holes or no holes.....that is the question. Maybe previous owner was like my friend. It is in a kinda weird spot.

Monte231SS has a point. ASC/GNX supplement does not list a dash bezel but refers you to the GN bezel and using a template to modify it for use on the GNX (I also assume this is what ASC did). If the GN bezel came without the Turbo plate in 89 (I purchased the car in 1990) it is possible that the first owner obtained a replacement GN bezel, and modified it for the GNX as did ASC. Doesn't seem likely but is possible.

GNX243 said:
The I/P bezel of every GNX I've even seen has a small log-"Turbo 3.8 Litre" on the bezel section below the temp & gas gauges. This is missing on my car -no holes, no logo- see
http://www.members.aol.com/rzipin/pix/GNX01.jpg -
My guess is that the person at ASC (from other sites it appears that ASC developed the bezel) who drills the holes was out to lunch and the person who was responsible for installing the logo said "no holes, screw it" ( I've already found the UAW Daily News left above the headliner but that was the assembly plant). As I've owned the car since 1990, it is unlikely that the first owner found/made/purchased a replacement. The real question is what else did ASC forget or leave out? Haven't gotten to the point of removing the trans but everything else seems to be there.

I believe the spare tire has a cover. If this is correct, this also is missing but I would not be surprised if the former owner is at fault. If anyone knows where I can get a replacement, please advise.

Thanks,
GNX243
They all came with 3 holes, the outer 2 were for the studs to go thru and the middle one was a guide hole. If there is no holes then it came that way from GM. ASC would have not added the emblem, they would have just left it.

The way I remember it is: the original dash bezel as installed by GM has the emblem. Any bezels bought from GMSPO did not come through with the emblem or any holes for the emblem. It would appear to me that the original bezel is not on the car and got replaced sometime in the cars history.

Mark

MG8T7GN said:
Any bezels bought from GMSPO did not come through with the emblem or any holes for the emblem.

I agree. I just looked at the two new ones I've got here and neither have the holes in them. The emblem I have has the posts on the back like the pic above. It could be possible that when the conversion was done, some gorilla at ASC damaged the bezel while removing it and it was replaced with a new one that didn't have the holes.

David

Allow me to put this to bed.
I pulled the bezel despite the law that says at least one clip will come off the stud and fall inside the dash where you can't easily retrieve it.
The stock GN bezel has to be cut out to allow room for the gauge bezels (this is where the ASC template comes in). The gauge bezel is affixed to the i/p bezel with screws. Then the applique is placed over the top of gauge bezel for a finishing touch.
I noted that it was a poor job of cutting out the speedo area of the GN bezel (if you ever had to replace your antenna you noticed what a poor job ASC did of cutting the fender for the flares so that is not a surprise). The only way I can tell if this i/p bezel was replaced by the first owner (in '87 - '89) is to compare this cutting job to an original to see if it follows the template precisely. In addition, he would have had to peel off the applique without damage from the original bezel (or buy a replacement along with the new bezel). Possible but seems like a lot of work.
GNX243