Astroroof??? Yay or Nay?????

The rust haze was all over my roof and quarters also.

did you do anything about it? mine does not look cancerous. i could paint it with POR15, but this would require removing the whole astroroof assembly to get access to all of the roof sheet metal. only looks like a handfull of bolts to remove it, tho.

The seal on my astro roof leaks - front side - where do you buy the replacement seal? Tried Kirban and NOS4GN websites, but did not see it listed. thx

ps - ripped out headliner and there is haze of surface rust on back roof behind the astro assembly. also, one of the drain hoses was broken at clamp connection. easy to fix the hose, not sure about the sheet metal - it isn't cancer, just uncoated sheet metal haze.

kirban 2 cents worth

I currently have 2 band new factory astro roof seals available at $135 each and $10 shipping. They do not show up on my website as it is not a every day stock item we carry nor can get from GM.

We do a weekly inner circle email that features rare parts and that is one such item. I sold last week the original hand crank and directions in the original envelope that I had also.

As for comments pro and con the factory astroroof is a neat feature...does not suffer the water issues that T-Tops do nor the sun baked interiors that T-Tops can cause. It is important that you keep the drain hoses clear of debris...

Its also true to redo the headliner it will run $50 to $100 more over a solid roof headliner.

From a marketing standpoint two cars being equal, a factory astroroof will be worth more money. Even more so on a T-Type or Turbo-T since very few exist.

Again my comments are based on the factory CF5 roof option.

It does add weight to the overall car. You do lose a little headroom.

Speaking of which did you notice on the new 2010 Camaros? The non astroroof cars have a ribbed like roof and the ones with the roof option do not.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Agree

astro roof gn's are just plain sexy! :d separate your self from the hardtop guys in a good way! Like a t top car unless it was well taken care of and the gaskets changed before they got to old and start leaking you might be in trouble with rust. My t top gn i use to take them off but that kinda wore off in the first year or so. Now i don't think i've had them off since i got the car! Astro roof gives you the best of all worlds. While everyone goes after the hard top cars i've found them boring. At least the ones i've been in. First thing i do when i get in the astro roof car is open the roof! Nothing like a nice spring or fall day and taking a cruise with the top open!

3860026778_a3be9b7a73_b.jpg

yes x2

kirban 2 cents worth

I currently have 2 band new factory astro roof seals available at $135 each and $10 shipping. They do not show up on my website as it is not a every day stock item we carry nor can get from GM.

We do a weekly inner circle email that features rare parts and that is one such item. I sold last week the original hand crank and directions in the original envelope that I had also.

As for comments pro and con the factory astroroof is a neat feature...does not suffer the water issues that T-Tops do nor the sun baked interiors that T-Tops can cause. It is important that you keep the drain hoses clear of debris...

Its also true to redo the headliner it will run $50 to $100 more over a solid roof headliner.

From a marketing standpoint two cars being equal, a factory astroroof will be worth more money. Even more so on a T-Type or Turbo-T since very few exist.

Again my comments are based on the factory CF5 roof option.

It does add weight to the overall car. You do lose a little headroom.

Speaking of which did you notice on the new 2010 Camaros? The non astroroof cars have a ribbed like roof and the ones with the roof option do not.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com
hey dennis i have a really weird 87 turbo t.it is a black chrome trim plus it has the big chrome trim on the bottom of rocker and doors but the car is NOT a limited,it has grey bucket seat interior.concert sound eq radio.pw.pl.power trunk,tilt cruise, delay wipers power antenna posi etc...

now for the really weird options corner lights, vinal top, and power moon roof also has digital dash and other normal conveince options.

car needs restoration but how much of a oddball is this car? how rare ? any idea? your thoughts are appreciated
P1000184.jpg

P1000185.jpg

P1000186.jpg

P1000188.jpg

P1000194.jpg

kirban 2 cents worth

In observing the black turbo-t above. Car is a mixed bag. By that I mean all the trim should be chrome someone at some point has installed the black grille and headlite bezels.

In looking at your trunk ID label car is "unusually equipped" having a half padded roof and CF5 astroroof option in unusual. Unlikely at any national event you will see a duplicate of a car such as this. Making it more unusual is the fact the car is black. If black was the original color that would be rare since most buyers would have opted for a GN if they wanted black.

Someone spent big money with all the options. That chrome strip across the bottom was a $110 option code is WF6 usually seen on Limiteds with chrome package. Your car has a posi also lite weight aluminum bumper braces. I see traces of a pinstripe in white that is a correct option shows up on your trunk ID label as 11A code...$45 option. UX1 was the top of the line eq am/fm radio with cassette. A $504 option.

Enough straining my eyes reading codes upside down...

Bottom line.....car is very unusual.....no fear of seeing a duplicate....can't member if its your state or New Hampshire that don't require car titles...simply bill of sale....

Your car was fairly expensive when new....my guess around $18,300 or better. Closet I have owned was a maroon model had half padded roof and T-Tops also had funky stainless molding.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

In observing the black turbo-t above. Car is a mixed bag. By that I mean all the trim should be chrome someone at some point has installed the black grille and headlite bezels.

In looking at your trunk ID label car is "unusually equipped" having a half padded roof and CF5 astroroof option in unusual. Unlikely at any national event you will see a duplicate of a car such as this. Making it more unusual is the fact the car is black. If black was the original color that would be rare since most buyers would have opted for a GN if they wanted black.

Someone spent big money with all the options. That chrome strip across the bottom was a $110 option code is WF6 usually seen on Limiteds with chrome package. Your car has a posi also lite weight aluminum bumper braces. I see traces of a pinstripe in white that is a correct option shows up on your trunk ID label as 11A code...$45 option. UX1 was the top of the line eq am/fm radio with cassette. A $504 option.

Enough straining my eyes reading codes upside down...

Bottom line.....car is very unusual.....no fear of seeing a duplicate....can't member if its your state or New Hampshire that don't require car titles...simply bill of sale....

Your car was fairly expensive when new....my guess around $18,300 or better. Closet I have owned was a maroon model had half padded roof and T-Tops also had funky stainless molding.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

THANK YOU ! car was originally from new jersey .went to new hampshire maybe 8 years ago and ended up in connecticut 6 years ago.
vermont no title needed 15 years and older. connecticut no title needed for cars 1980 and older. i have the title and some of the paperwork when we got the car. i put the taillights,grille and bezels on it years ago before i learned to appreciate it's uniqueness. i guess the car might be a 1 of 1?

kirban 2 cents worth

I knew it was one of those states were a title is not needed on older cars...problem is with no title no way would that "fly" in my state to register it!

As for the 1 of 1 claim....that may be pushing the envelope...problem is no way to know for sure. I will go out on a limb and state with so many mathematic possibilities available the chances of you actually seeing a twin are slim and none.

Its like I always get a kick out of an ad stating the nicest one around or none nicer....can't happen somewhere somebody has one better....just like the old west...someone always has a faster gun....you just may not have stumbled on that person yet.

I'd say less than 10 would exist that would be 100% like yours....heck in Vermont you be lucky to see 10 Turbo Regals in a year! rite?

enjoy the car

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com