Atr Headers, 3" Downpie, 3" Test Pipe.

wh1-Denver

I need to replace my headers and am considering buying the ATR ones with their down pipe, and test pipe. I have their 2-1/2" cat back exh on the car now.
Is anyone using this set up? Is the Down Pipe as good as the TH one?:confused:
I am looking for a set of headers and exhaust that I can install and not have to be messing with to fix all the time, IE no cracks, no flange or joint leaks.
I am tired of repairing the stock headers.:mad:

A local friend of mine told me that the ATR down pipes had a history of the puck sticking. Has anyone heard of this or had it happen to them?

Anyone have any problems with ATR's headers?

I've heard for a long time that the ATR headers are the only way to go aftermarket. I know you don't want the Hooker headers, I used to have them. As far as downpipes, I would go with the TH, that is what I am getting. But this is just one person's opinion.

I have the ATR headers and their 2.5" downpipe, with the stock ported elbow. I had one set that cracked, but they replaced them with another set and they have been fine. They look good compared to the stockers also. Get the ATR 3" DP since they are made for these headers, and have the right bends. You have to get a custom Terry Houston for the ATR headers, or you can put a ding in the regualr Terry Houston DP to make it fit. I beleive the puck problem is fixed on the ATRs, we have one ready to go on our 86 and the puck moves fine. Good luck

I have all 3. The puck did stick and they fixed it free. I would buy another DP from them in a second! TH pipes are good too BUT, after I polished my ATR I have yet to see a TH pipe look as nice.

Russ,
How old is your ATR DP?
How did you polish it and with what? Is it still shiny?
Thanks for the input everyone.

HKS/TiAl External Wastegates & ATR Downpipe

Many people specify the ATR downpipes for use with external WGs (HKS/TiAl), and never seem to report any problems.

:) :)

I am using an ATR 3" downpipe with ATR ext. gate. The only problem that I have with mine is that it vibrates against the frame.. :( Tried readjusting only for it to come back again. Looks like I will be swapping in a poly-u engine mount in the summer.

I have heard there to be fitment problems with the ATR but never any with the TH.

Polished with sandpaper and water. 400,800,1500,2000 and finished with 0000 steel wool. It doesn't stay chrome cause of the heat, but turns bronze color. Still looks sweet though.

Originally posted by GNANIMO
I am using an ATR 3" downpipe with ATR ext. gate. The only problem that I have with mine is that it vibrates against the frame.. :( Tried readjusting only for it to come back again. Looks like I will be swapping in a poly-u engine mount in the summer.

I have heard there to be fitment problems with the ATR but never any with the TH.
Both have had problems. Do they give you a problem/fix sheet with a TH? ATR did and I have it. If you need a copy I can send it to you. Their are adjustments you can make to remedy the situation.

Originally posted by wh1-Denver
I need to replace my headers and am considering buying the ATR ones with their down pipe, and test pipe. I have their 2-1/2" cat back exh on the car now.
Is anyone using this set up? Is the Down Pipe as good as the TH one?:confused:
I am looking for a set of headers and exhaust that I can install and not have to be messing with to fix all the time, IE no cracks, no flange or joint leaks.
I am tired of repairing the stock headers.:mad:
I have all three ATR pieces and no problems.

ATR?

I have the whole system from ATR. Has been in use since 1995.
Have made only 1 change.. Dumped their gate and put a INNOV. Pro gate on. No cracks, fit great...
I made my own dump pipe as I put a bolt in cat system on also, for smog testing...

Back under my rock:D :D

Thanks Jesse,
Hey I put the 50s and street chip in this weekend along with Precision front mount, Precision 70mm plenum w RJC plate, Accufab 70mm TB, and Big mouth cold air kit.
WWWWHHHHAAAAAWWWWWHHHHHHOOOOOO!
The car really woke up, can't wait to get some time slips.
Now I just need to get rid of this exhaust leak and the car should run even better.

The ATR DP is it as good or better than the THDP?
I would rather go with an all ATR setup so that if I have any problems I will only have to deal with one company.

Thanks Russ.
How do you like your GN1s? I am considering getting some when I get the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Do they seal well? Do the ports match up the ATR headers or do you need to port one or the other? I see that your intake is p&p did you do it or did you get the Champion one?
Thanks

The Champs are nice, I've had em for almost a year. The headers fit pretty good, I did grind the flange on the header where it needed it. I took all the valves out of the heads to match em to the headers and manifold. With the exhaust valves out, you can see where you need to grind the flange. I ported the intake and polished it (with the help of a friend, polish guru) myself. MOSTLY BY HAND, IT SUCKED! The inside is smooth as glass, don't know how much that helps as porting helps the most but I had nothing else to do last winter waiting for my block to get finished. If I were you, I'd wait till TAs heads are done (feb they said). I talked to them the other day and they told me around 1200$. They flow 285 cfm on the intake, he didn't say the exhaust cfm, also they have better push rod alignment. I'm building another engine and I'm gonna get the TA heads for that one. Should be pretty cool.